Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #9,361 of 18,486
I just thought I'd say this again.. so those of you on here that have the HMS realize how good you have it. Having owned both the MK blu2 and HMS I can say with clarity that the HMS sounds better. In all respects detail, musicality, highs, lows, mids its just better and I speak from having had the blu2 for approx. 3 years ; I bought it fairly close to when it came out. Even with the stock psu. So you are getting what others paid 10-13K for... just remember that when you decide to whine ....

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #9,362 of 18,486
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #9,364 of 18,486
@STR-1
fyi, poweradd still has the Pilot Pro 2 on their site here. not sure why amazon, in some countries, has stopped carrying them
Thanks for that, and I note that a larger capacity Pilot Pro 5 is also available (with dc out and the same range of voltages). Other than presumably providing more hours of charge for an M Scaler, I wonder if the spec gives any grounds for expecting other performance improvements.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #9,365 of 18,486
Thanks for that, and I note that a larger capacity Pilot Pro 5 is also available (with dc out and the same range of voltages). Other than presumably providing more hours of charge for an M Scaler, I wonder if the spec gives any grounds for expecting other performance improvements.
I wish, the PP5 supports the USB C power delivery mode for 9v-20v. This is the new fangled way that devices draw power ...through a handshake and power contract. Can't be used with chord product except with an adapter of sorts.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #9,366 of 18,486
I want to buy at least one more Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 but difficult to find in the UK. Any suggestions?

This looks like a possibility:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...45c-eec586a43cc7&pf_rd_r=DVGFNPZ847KKZFZSTR9Y

maybe just maybe they aren't selling everywhere because they are crap. Just a thought have you read the reviews on these things... if your lucky you'll get a year.... or 3 months...

Not my experience - this is my third power bank, and easily the best. I have been using my Poweradd for well over two years, with no problems with the batteries and no loss of charge capacity.
The only criticism is that recently sometimes the unit won't shutdown, the OP voltage remains on. It's easily fixed by slightly re-inserting the 2.5mm OP plug until the power OP voltage icon goes off.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #9,368 of 18,486
This looks like a possibility:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...45c-eec586a43cc7&pf_rd_r=DVGFNPZ847KKZFZSTR9Y

Not my experience - this is my third power bank, and easily the best. I have been using my Poweradd for well over two years, with no problems with the batteries and no loss of charge capacity.
The only criticism is that recently sometimes the unit won't shutdown, the OP voltage remains on. It's easily fixed by slightly re-inserting the 2.5mm OP plug until the power OP voltage icon goes off.

Hmm how about instead of promoting someone else's product Chord provides a better mains power supply. Rather than something I could buy off Alibaba. Sorry John not trying to be harsh but .... its true it has to be Chinese.

Also how about my question on the torrodial transformer. Which I assume you have seen.

Believe it or not there is a member on this site that Pm'd me infuriated that I had quoted you about these powerpacks. Saying I was doing it for my own advantage which is ridiculous.They will remain nameless for now. But since you wrote me privately I'll say openly here to that individual.... "sir your are an idiot" and you know who you are. I don't promote products unless I believe in them and I still think its a hassel to own one.

Still Chord...instead of having people buy battery packs how about guiding them to a better overall mains power supply. Sotm adjustable power supply capable of 9v, 12v and beyond, what about the Paul Hynes SR4, SR7's? what about uptone audio's Js-2 linear power supply also with adjustable voltages 5V, 7V 9V, 12V etc..
and in my opinion one of the best out there.

Instead of promoting regardless of your experience Chinese battery packs.

I own a lot of Chord products so this is not a personal knock (which you have designed) just a legitimate question. I also have a lot of respect for your boss/CEO stand up person.

If there's a technical reason why battery packs are better I'd love to know.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #9,369 of 18,486
Hmm how about instead of promoting someone else's product Chord provides a better mains power supply. Rather than something I could buy off Alibaba. Sorry John not trying to be harsh but .... its true it has to be Chinese.

Also how about my question on the torrodial transformer. Which I assume you have seen.

Believe it or not there is a member on this site that Pm'd me infuriated that I had quoted you about these powerpacks. Saying I was doing it for my own advantage which is ridiculous.They will remain nameless for now. But since you wrote me privately I'll say openly here to that individual.... "sir your are an idiot" and you know who you are. I don't promote products unless I believe in them and I still think its a hassel to own one.

Still Chord...instead of having people buy battery packs how about guiding them to a better overall mains power supply. Sotm adjustable power supply capable of 9v, 12v and beyond, what about the Paul Hynes SR4, SR7's? what about uptone audio's Js-2 linear power supply also with adjustable voltages 5V, 7V 9V, 12V etc..

I own a lot of Chord products so this is not a personal knock (which you have designed) just a legitimate question. I also have a lot of respect for your boss/CEO stand up person.

Omg, what a bore you are. Yes, ‘twas I.

In order to shoot your fox somewhat, here is what I said:

You are decrepit

You do not respect privacy of personal communication

But then say the government is this or that

You sir are filth

End quote.

I said this at the end of a private exchange between us, because you were sharing private messages between rob and yourself. I’m sure most people would agree with me.

I’m also sure, if this forum was like Ancient Rome, and we could vote a citizen out, you sir, would be first.

Overall, you are deranged, the best I can tell. And as I said to you previously, you give the Internet a bad name.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #9,370 of 18,486
Linear PSUs will for sure sound worse than the supplied PSU, so if you are running from the mains, the supplied PSU is the best. Battery operation provides complete isolation, and is of course essential for portable operation, which is when I use the battery packs.

The handbook note about toroidal is general purpose advice for an analogue product, I have no expectation nor reports of a problem with M scaler at all.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #9,371 of 18,486
Linear PSUs will for sure sound worse than the supplied PSU, so if you are running from the mains, the supplied PSU is the best. Battery operation provides complete isolation, and is of course essential for portable operation, which is when I use the battery packs.

The handbook note about toroidal is general purpose advice for an analogue product, I have no expectation nor reports of a problem with M scaler at all.

Thanks for the info... appreciate it.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #9,372 of 18,486

I think you are being a bit harsh on Chord there.
Rob has posted several times about performing a trade study of several available power supplies for the MScaler, but only one power supply met his criteria that it must contain a RF filter. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-81#post-14483036
That power supply with the RF filter is the one that is supplied with MScaler.
Why are battery packs a good idea? Rob has posted many times about the problems caused by RF and other electrical noise causing problems with the 0V ground plane of the analogue circuits within a DAC.
One entry point for such noise into a hifi system is via the hifi power supply(s) receiving noise from the public power supplies. Using a battery pack cuts this input route for noise, so it is not surprising that owners report benefits from using battery packs.
Yes many owners post about the benefits of using third party power supplies, but if they rely on the public mains for their input power, they will still leave wide open a route for RFI to enter their hifi system, and degrade the dac analogue circuits.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #9,373 of 18,486
Yes many owners post about the benefits of using third party power supplies, but if they rely on the public mains for their input power, they will still leave wide open a route for RFI to enter their hifi system, and degrade the dac analogue circuits

and as Rob has posted many times, it is tempting to notice a difference due to something such as a power supply and to credit sounding different as being better.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #9,374 of 18,486
@miketlse seriously? I got my answer you don't need to defend him he's a big boy now... but thanks for that link I'll take a look... That's the issue public... which I don't have exposure to... thus no rf emi for me...

I have enough rfi emi items in front of my equipment that I don't suffer at all from noise which some here do but unless you can actually measure it... lol... :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #9,375 of 18,486
@miketlse seriously? I got my answer you don't need to defend him he's a big boy now... but thanks for that link I'll take a look... That's the issue public... which I don't have exposure to... thus no rf emi for me...

I have enough rfi emi items in front of my equipment that I don't suffer at all from noise which some here do but unless you can actually measure it... lol... :stuck_out_tongue:
I was defending no-one, so I find your response both strange/insulting.
If your system is 100% RFI free, then good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back