1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625
627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636
Next

Last
  1. dmance
  2. nomad777
    maybe just maybe they aren't selling everywhere because they are crap. Just a thought have you read the reviews on these things... if your lucky you'll get a year.... or 3 months...

3. STR-1
    Thanks for that, and I note that a larger capacity Pilot Pro 5 is also available (with dc out and the same range of voltages). Other than presumably providing more hours of charge for an M Scaler, I wonder if the spec gives any grounds for expecting other performance improvements.

4. dmance
    I wish, the PP5 supports the USB C power delivery mode for 9v-20v. This is the new fangled way that devices draw power ...through a handshake and power contract. Can't be used with chord product except with an adapter of sorts.

5. Rob Watts
    This looks like a possibility:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...45c-eec586a43cc7&pf_rd_r=DVGFNPZ847KKZFZSTR9Y

Not my experience - this is my third power bank, and easily the best. I have been using my Poweradd for well over two years, with no problems with the batteries and no loss of charge capacity.
    The only criticism is that recently sometimes the unit won't shutdown, the OP voltage remains on. It's easily fixed by slightly re-inserting the 2.5mm OP plug until the power OP voltage icon goes off.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  6. Vyyy
  7. nomad777
    Hmm how about instead of promoting someone else's product Chord provides a better mains power supply. Rather than something I could buy off Alibaba. Sorry John not trying to be harsh but .... its true it has to be Chinese.

Also how about my question on the torrodial transformer. Which I assume you have seen.

Believe it or not there is a member on this site that Pm'd me infuriated that I had quoted you about these powerpacks. Saying I was doing it for my own advantage which is ridiculous.They will remain nameless for now. But since you wrote me privately I'll say openly here to that individual.... "sir your are an idiot" and you know who you are. I don't promote products unless I believe in them and I still think its a hassel to own one.

Still Chord...instead of having people buy battery packs how about guiding them to a better overall mains power supply. Sotm adjustable power supply capable of 9v, 12v and beyond, what about the Paul Hynes SR4, SR7's? what about uptone audio's Js-2 linear power supply also with adjustable voltages 5V, 7V 9V, 12V etc..
    and in my opinion one of the best out there.

Instead of promoting regardless of your experience Chinese battery packs.

I own a lot of Chord products so this is not a personal knock (which you have designed) just a legitimate question. I also have a lot of respect for your boss/CEO stand up person.

If there's a technical reason why battery packs are better I'd love to know.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  8. ZappaMan
    Omg, what a bore you are. Yes, ‘twas I.

In order to shoot your fox somewhat, here is what I said:

You are decrepit

You do not respect privacy of personal communication

But then say the government is this or that

You sir are filth

End quote.

I said this at the end of a private exchange between us, because you were sharing private messages between rob and yourself. I’m sure most people would agree with me.

I’m also sure, if this forum was like Ancient Rome, and we could vote a citizen out, you sir, would be first.

Overall, you are deranged, the best I can tell. And as I said to you previously, you give the Internet a bad name.

9. Rob Watts
    Linear PSUs will for sure sound worse than the supplied PSU, so if you are running from the mains, the supplied PSU is the best. Battery operation provides complete isolation, and is of course essential for portable operation, which is when I use the battery packs.

The handbook note about toroidal is general purpose advice for an analogue product, I have no expectation nor reports of a problem with M scaler at all.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    zenlisten and gnomen like this.
  10. nomad777

Thanks for the info... appreciate it.

zenlisten likes this.
  11. miketlse
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Chord there.
    Rob has posted several times about performing a trade study of several available power supplies for the MScaler, but only one power supply met his criteria that it must contain a RF filter. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-81#post-14483036
    That power supply with the RF filter is the one that is supplied with MScaler.
    Why are battery packs a good idea? Rob has posted many times about the problems caused by RF and other electrical noise causing problems with the 0V ground plane of the analogue circuits within a DAC.
    One entry point for such noise into a hifi system is via the hifi power supply(s) receiving noise from the public power supplies. Using a battery pack cuts this input route for noise, so it is not surprising that owners report benefits from using battery packs.
    Yes many owners post about the benefits of using third party power supplies, but if they rely on the public mains for their input power, they will still leave wide open a route for RFI to enter their hifi system, and degrade the dac analogue circuits.

gnomen likes this.
  12. Triode User
    and as Rob has posted many times, it is tempting to notice a difference due to something such as a power supply and to credit sounding different as being better.

zenlisten likes this.
  13. nomad777
    @miketlse seriously? I got my answer you don't need to defend him he's a big boy now... but thanks for that link I'll take a look... That's the issue public... which I don't have exposure to... thus no rf emi for me...

I have enough rfi emi items in front of my equipment that I don't suffer at all from noise which some here do but unless you can actually measure it... lol... :stuck_out_tongue:

14. miketlse
    I was defending no-one, so I find your response both strange/insulting.
    If your system is 100% RFI free, then good luck.

15. nomad777
    2 - Does M-Scaler reduce the importance of the media server? Did you run tests using PC, Mac mini or other expensive media server? Was there huge difference in sound quality?

I took a look at that link... wow.... firstly those that say that a music server doesn't matter incorrect it does and a scaler might improve the sound but will never sound as good when the source is from a dedicated music server. The scaler will not improve on a low quality recording it will still sound bad with more resolution.

I started using the Mac powerbook initially with Audirvana improved the music with v2 usb's very drastic difference which started me on a quest for a music server
    Then went to the innuos server relative improvement
    added the sotm stack more improvement , changed cables on the server to 7N silver power cable more improvement
    then went to the CX/EX antipodes servers considerably even more improvement amazing actually no comparison to a macbook or PC
    added more filtration even more improvement its to the point now for me that I feel I'm actually right there in front of the artist ... or surrounded by them on the stage
    the Mscaler quite an amazing product with the right supporting cast...

None of that possible with a mac mini or PC ... however not everyone can afford such an extravaganza so if its a macbook only for you or server etc..

then yes the mscaler will improve your sound... but will never compare to high quality .. again I'll say high quality dedicated music server... there are a number of reasons for this which I won't get into right now...

First

Back
616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625
627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636
Next

Last