1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626
628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637
Next

Last
  1. nomad777
    Examine your post... read the first 2 lines.. May I recommend you find your closest safe space.

I'm so sorry would you like me to send you a message on how amazing your post was and how you corrected my ways? Because this is a free speech forum last I checked and there are no insults in my post. :baby::cry: If you find it strange... hmmm.. lol...... good......

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Uncle Monty
    There's a bit too much RFI on this forum.

zenlisten, musickid, gnomen and 7 others like this.
  3. Musikfan
    Hi, I apologize in advance if my questions have already been answered. I wanted to know if one can leave the battery power bank on to charge as you also charge the Mscaler? Also, do you have to set the power bank to the proper voltage to charge the Mscaler or does the power bank automatically adjust the voltage? There is a krisdonia 50000 mAh power bank on amazon... could this be used to charge an Mscaler? Thanks in advance for replies.

4. Triode User
    I can only speak for the Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 as that is the only one I have used. Yes you can have it powering something whilst charging it and the output voltage remains unaltered whilst charging. What I cannot answer is whether during charging you might get noise introduced to the battery output caused by the charger or whether having the battery charging means that the battery’s isolation from the ground plane is defeated. I strongly suspect that the answer to both these questions is yes and on that basis you lose all the advantage of the battery whilst connecting it to the charger.

I personally found that the PPP2 (23000mAh) uses 10% of its charge per hour when connected to the MScaler which for me would mean having two batteries in rotation for charging/using every day and swopping them over. That is a ridiculous amount of faff and way more than I am prepared to do in a home system so I have given up on using a battery for any of my equipment. I have only seen Rob Watts, who himself first suggested the battery, say that he uses it for travel. I have not seen him say that he uses a battery at home.

Edit to say that I measured the Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 16v output as being 16.8v and you should never ever connect this voltage to the Mscaler. The 12v output from the battery should be used (which I measured at 12.5v).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. Vyyy
    What M scaler seems to do to recordings is in my opinion equalization of instruments/voice/volume. Do others feel that too?

6. gnomen
    Thanks for digging this out and reminding us. And thanks to Rob for repeating the clarification again. That's pretty emphatic advice.
    I would like Rob to make some positive suggestions on other ways to remove RFI, if he has a view.

7. rkt31
    My first impression of HMS was that it made decays/reverbs to be noticed lot more easily. It lent more texture to vocals without making vocals splashy. In fact vocals sounded more locked at centre while the soundstage expanded in all directions.

8. gnomen
    Just received this newsletter from Sound Liaison. I am not associated with them in any way other than as a customer. Since it struck me as a very considered description of sound recording choices, I thought forum members here might like to read it.

BEHIND THE SCENES 1:
    One-Microphone versus Multi-Microphone

Recently Sound Liaison started to release albums recorded using only one (stereo) microphone. Why? For a great number of years my approach to recording did not differ from what most modern engineers do. I would set up one or more microphones per instrument, try to get the maximum amount of separation between the instruments using acoustic baffles or complete isolation by placing the softest instruments in another room.

The advantage of this procedure is that you have complete control of each instrument. You can change the volume, panning, colour and reverb, the level of compression and so forth as you please. In general you can say that the more isolated the sources are from each other the more control you have when mixing. That’s the reason so many modern recording studios have separate rooms for every instrument or instrument group. The disadvantage of separation is that instruments don’t seem to blend very well and musicians are not playing as well together as when they are in the same room. For that reason, I like to record the musicians in one big good sounding hall. The unique sound of Studio 2 in the MCO building here in Hilversum is ideal for that purpose.

"In order to avoid the phase artifacts I decided to make a number of recordings using only one stereo microphone...."

When recording all the instruments in the same room, placing a microphone in front of each instrument introduces a problem. That problem is called phase (problem). The microphones ‘see’ not only the instrument in front of which it is placed but also the other instruments in the hall. For example the bass microphone catch not only the sound of the bass but also the sound the drums next to it. The drum microphones also catch the same sound of the drums, but not at the same time as they are placed closer to the drums. This is because sound takes time to travel.

These phase artifacts can influence the sound in a negative way. To avoid this problem you can start to isolate the instruments using acoustic baffles but the consequence of that is that the musicians can’t properly hear each other anymore, so you have to introduce a headphones system to monitor....and so on. I think you get the picture...you end up going back to complete separation.
    In order to avoid the phase artifacts I decided to make a number of recordings using only one stereo microphone: the magnificent Josephson C700S.

I did not use any kind of separation so that the musicians could clearly hear each other.

In a sense when recording with one microphone the mix is done before I press record.
    I have to make the complete sound stage on the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone.
    Listening to the results of this approach the advantages are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth and superior realism.
    Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix, it’s now or never.
    The reactions of the musicians are overwhelming. Bass player Clemens van der Feen said: “I never heard my bass like this before on any recording. Finally it sounds the way I always wanted”.
    Joe Whip wrote a 5 star review of our four “One Microphone Recording” albums on audiophile style.
    Review of sound-liaison-one-mic-recordings

I hope this is just the beginning and many more recordings using only one stereo microphone will follow.
    I am very interested in getting feedback as to how these recordings sound on your system. So please do send me your opinion on the sound of these recordings.

Best regards, Frans

The Visual Sound
    Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler

With our new DXD sampler we show the possibility to create a sound stage, that projects an almost visual image of the musicians.
    A sound stage which is intimate but also has depth and space.
    The sound on the recordings presented here are like a three dimensional Van Gogh painting, where you can step in and take a look around.

All the tracks were recorded in the legendary Studio 2 in the building of the Dutch Broadcasting Company.
    The studio has a deep warm sound with a beautiful natural decay, perfect for chamber music and jazz ensembles.
    Studio 2 has remained in its original form since it was built in 1929.
    Together with Abbey Road it is one of the oldest recording studio in the world.

ruthieandjohn and Paul Bjernklo like this.
  9. Uncle Monty
    This will undoubtedly be the most stupid question of the day - how do you get the back off the remote control battery compartment?

10. Triode User
    Press down (hard) with both thumbs on the part with 9 raised dots. Push down and towards the bottom end of the remote.

11. Vyyy
    Guys what source you use with m scaler mostly, CD rips or for example Qobuz/TIdal? Thanks.

12. JM1979
    I use Qobuz exclusively but mainly because all of my old CD rips are on a hard drive that I’m too lazy to do anything with and Qobuz sounds fantastic.

13. nomad777
    from my music servers; either ripped or downloaded music

14. musickid
    Can one microphone doing stereo recording as in the example above pick up RF interference present in the recording studio? If so is it still ok to go with 2 weetabix? :thinking::thinking:

Tidal/Roon as what's left of my vinyl collection is gathering dust at my mum's house still.

15. Uncle Monty
    worked - was worried I'd break it - that's way more pressure than seems sensible..

First

Back
617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626
628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637
Next

Last