Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #6,991 of 18,443
Here's my chain. OPTO•DX goes between the Hugo mScaler and the DAC. You have 2 coax cables coming out of the Hugo mScaler that connect to a OPTO•DX box on the "dirty" side. It converts the BNC SPDIF signal to optical, and uses 2 fiber optic cables to transmit the signal to a 2nd box on the "clean" side. That box then converts the optical signal back to dual BNC, and you use dual coax to connect the "clean" box to the DAC.

As side benefit of this scheme is the fiber optics can be as long as you (reasonably) want (10 meters should be no problem). Let's you put all your digital stuff as far away from your main setup as you like.

Cool

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #6,992 of 18,443
Yeah, it's weird, but I don't go too deep, aslong as the music sounds good, I'm happy. I couldn't do what rob or yourself and many others do, tweak or make tiny changes and then listen to hear the difference, I would in all probability not notice any difference, just like the filters on h2 and my tt2, they all sound the same to me, but xphd is audible to me.

I'm sure the Opto DX will be a hit, as I know a few people who can't wait to see what it's like.

As for elon musks theory, I said it first, and my said, said "we are living in the matrix". :)

Yes, opt does indeed tap out at 192, but if all things are equal, since its opt it should sound the same as opto dx if that was limited to 192khz, but it's not and if it's the cleanest way to get them 1 million taps, then lots of people will be happy.

I just wish it was canadian dollars he was charging for it, as it would help offset the customs charges we will have to pay for it.
if it gets rave reviews, maybe I buy ???
What’s the damage ?

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #6,993 of 18,443
Here's my chain. OPTO•DX goes between the Hugo mScaler and the DAC. You have 2 coax cables coming out of the Hugo mScaler that connect to a OPTO•DX box on the "dirty" side. It converts the BNC SPDIF signal to optical, and uses 2 fiber optic cables to transmit the signal to a 2nd box on the "clean" side. That box then converts the optical signal back to dual BNC, and you use dual coax to connect the "clean" box to the DAC.

As side benefit of this scheme is the fiber optics can be as long as you (reasonably) want (10 meters should be no problem). Let's you put all your digital stuff as far away from your main setup as you like.

Cool, but it's a little too technical for me to figure it all out tonight, but I will figure it out tomorrow.

The thing I would worry about is, if there is two boxes with two sets of bnc cables, would those not be affected by rfi even on the clean side ?

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #6,997 of 18,443
For a moat it's only tree fiddy!
A bargain, surely?
There is a frank zappa song, what do I get if I smoke this.
There is probably a friends episode too.
It would be good to find the economical
Way to remove rfi for sure.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #6,998 of 18,443
The thing I would worry about is, if there is two boxes with two sets of bnc cables, would those not be affected by rfi even on the clean side ?

Yes, ideally the optical receiver should be inside DAC. Dual optical in instead of Dual BNC. That is what many asked since day one, but Chord said it could not be made...

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #6,999 of 18,443
Hi, a couple questions on the PowerAdd battery pack.

- Can it power a device while being recharged from the mains at the same time?
- If so, would it negate its potential benefits of cleaner power if it's being charged at the same time as it's powering the M Scaler?
- How long does it power the M Scaler on a single charge?

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #7,000 of 18,443
Someone said about are we living in matrix ? If universe follows some fixed basic rules like speed of light, charge and mass of electron etc, it has to be some well thought program. it does not matter if you call it matrix or by any other name. It also does not matter whether it is inside some computer or anywhere as long as it follows the those basic rules set by the programmer.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #7,001 of 18,443
Hi, a couple questions on the PowerAdd battery pack.

- Can it power a device while being recharged from the mains at the same time?
- If so, would it negate its potential benefits of cleaner power if it's being charged at the same time as it's powering the M Scaler?
- How long does it power the M Scaler on a single charge?

Just experimented with these:

* Yes it can recharge from mains while powering device at same time
* I would assume yes (they are not mains isolated, like the Uptone LPS 1.2 is)...using my PowerAdd Pilot2 I have plugged into the "dirty" side of the OPTO•DX, I'm hearing a small bit more harshness (more spatially washed out) with the battery plugged into the SMPS charger
* My guesstimate is ~6 hours...I have the stock Chord SMPS sitting available for when the battery needs to be recharged

* For the OPTO•DX, a charged battery can go days

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #7,002 of 18,443
Just experimented with these:

* Yes it can recharge from mains while powering device at same time
* I would assume yes (they are not mains isolated, like the Uptone LPS 1.2 is)...using my PowerAdd Pilot2 I have plugged into the "dirty" side of the OPTO•DX, I'm hearing a small bit more harshness (more spatially washed out) with the battery plugged into the SMPS charger
* My guesstimate is ~6 hours...I have the stock Chord SMPS sitting available for when the battery needs to be recharged

* For the OPTO•DX, a charged battery can go days
Thanks. Being that it's relatively inexpensive, I may give the PowerAdd battery a try (for the M Scaler). Having to unplug it during listening sessions may be a slight hit on usability, but it seems like it could be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #7,003 of 18,443
Thanks. Being that it's relatively inexpensive, I may give the PowerAdd battery a try. Having to unplug it during listening sessions may be a slight hit on usability, but it seems like it could be worthwhile.

I think the biggest win from the battery packs is learning where in your system better power has the biggest impact. If and when you're willing to make the investment in better DC power, the battery can point to where to apply that investment first. That being said, there will always be another component that could benefit from clean power, so there will always be a home for the battery pack in your chain.

For example, I have a PowerAdd Pilot2 on my HMS right now. When my Paul Hynes SR4 gets here, that battery pack will go to my NUC. For now it has the biggest impact on the HMS.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #7,005 of 18,443
I ordered my SR4 prior to my tests (for another part of my chain) so I have the variable output version (2A). I am hopeful that will be enough for the HMS.

Ultimately, I've allocated a DR SR7 rail for the HMS, which will have plenty of juice, but it may be another year (or three?) before Paul gets around to building mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back