Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #6,691 of 18,518
Hello there,

I was not a/b'ing and downloaded those tracks as i do know them very well on tidal/roon rbcd. Anyway after careful listening i hear no difference between the 96kHz 24bit qobuz hires vs tidal/roon rbcd. Had there been a nice difference then i would consider the move to qobuz. So as qobuz is more classically orientated (which i like very much as i played violin for 10 years when younger) tidal seems to be more diverse so i'm sticking to tidal for now. I was actually hoping for a nice lift with the hires on qobuz but felt nothing.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #6,692 of 18,518
Chord have just posted this on FaceBook so interesting times ahead. I am not going to try to guess what the 'huge announcements' are but others can have a go . . . . .

"Next week, at Munich High End 2019 we'll be making some huge announcements...
We'll also have on display, an array of our DACs and power amplifiers so if you're at the show please feel free to pay us a visit in Atrium 3.1, Room C122."

May 4, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #6,693 of 18,518
I'm just going to check the facebook page to make sure that this is not an inside job...:slight_smile:

May 4, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #6,695 of 18,518
Mojo 2 with detachable supercaps for use at home and on the mojogo? A true human work of art.

May 4, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #6,696 of 18,518
If I was going to undertake a project like analysing CD-quality vs high res, I would not AB compare. I would listen to the CD-quality a few times or many times, and get vary familiar with it. Then switch to the high res version. Not saying that is what you should do. Just saying how I would do it.

I remember a statement made by, someone well up in the music business. Music or hardware I can't recall. He said something like, music improves the higher the resolution you go, up to 500KhHz.

Technically that makes sense to me. Not sure quite how much because I have not looked directly at the details. A high sampling frequency is going to pick up the small variations in the sine wave, made by harmonics. How small those are though, I have not looked. We know however small changes in the sine wave, can make audible and dramatic differences. (E.g. we know that Chord DACs which reproduce the sine wave more accurately, produce better soundstage cues.)

One other thing I often wondered was are the harmonics being played twice. Once in the recording, and once in playback. Maybe some information is lost with that. It always confuses me though.

@musickid either way, whatever though, the M-Scaler is an awesome idea. Must be amazing to own one.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #6,697 of 18,518
M Scalar is a waste of money. Not needed if you want transparency as the original mastering sampling is transparent, and not with upsampling.

The upsampling sounds quite off, and it makes no sense to have if you want to hear true to the file's output quality.

May 4, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #6,698 of 18,518
Chord have just posted this on FaceBook so interesting times ahead. I am not going to try to guess what the 'huge announcements' are but others can have a go . . . . .

"Next week, at Munich High End 2019 we'll be making some huge announcements...
We'll also have on display, an array of our DACs and power amplifiers so if you're at the show please feel free to pay us a visit in Atrium 3.1, Room C122."
Always an exciting time when you hear these announcements, but then always a risky time to place an order for an existing product before the big announcement is made, even if the wait time to launch is likely to be 3-6 months. I’m hoping for the 2Go module.

May 4, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #6,699 of 18,518
M Scalar is a waste of money. Not needed if you want transparency as the original mastering sampling is transparent, and not with upsampling.

The upsampling sounds quite off, and it makes no sense to have if you want to hear true to the file's output quality.

Lol ok mate, bye then.

May 4, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #6,700 of 18,518
The upscaling on the mscaler is not really audible it is a mechanism to improve timing results and it is that in conjunction with the 1 million tap interpolation filter which accurately reconstructs the original analogue signal in the ADC.......and it is that which is so audible and delightful as has been reported in the world's top hifi audio magazines and online reviews as well as by many members here. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. For me the pairing with hugo 2 is sublime.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #6,702 of 18,518

You're looking at it the wrong way. It's as if you're saying the quality of the low-pass filter doesn't matter. In fact it does, which is easily comprehensible, as it affects the reproduction of transients. Upsampling is low-pass filtering! It's not about adding information that wasn't there, but subtracting information that's not wanted: high-frequency noise due to the sampling (→ stair-steps scenario). And if you are lucky to have someone like Rob Watts designing the algorithm, you'll benefit from maximally preserved transient accuracy.

In the early days of digital audio low-pass filtering (against aliasing and for the reconstruction of the original analogue signal → «reconstruction filter») was just done in the analogue domain. Since then upsampling has established as a superior variant, enabling much steeper and more sophisticated filters.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #6,703 of 18,518
May 4, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #6,704 of 18,518
The following is quoted from the Dutch review above which otherwise was good all round. However the statement below is a discredit to them.

"Surprisingly we found that the difference between a Hugo TT 2 and a Hugo TT 2 with an SBooster was bigger than what happened when we added the Hugo M Scaler with its standard power supply".

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6,705 of 18,518
The following is quoted from the Dutch review above which otherwise was good all round. However the statement below is a discredit to them.

"Surprisingly we found that the difference between a Hugo TT 2 and a Hugo TT 2 with an SBooster was bigger than what happened when we added the Hugo M Scaler with its standard power supply".
Maybe someone involved has an interest in selling sbooster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back