1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446
448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    Chord have just posted this on FaceBook so interesting times ahead. I am not going to try to guess what the 'huge announcements' are but others can have a go . . . . .

"Next week, at Munich High End 2019 we'll be making some huge announcements...
    We'll also have on display, an array of our DACs and power amplifiers so if you're at the show please feel free to pay us a visit in Atrium 3.1, Room C122."

2. musickid
    I'm just going to check the facebook page to make sure that this is not an inside job...:slight_smile:

3. GreenBow
    Dave 2 with supercaps. ………… Sorry was just daydreaming out loud. We are told there's no DAVE 2 coming yet.

4. musickid
    Mojo 2 with detachable supercaps for use at home and on the mojogo? A true human work of art.

Ragnar-BY and GreenBow like this.
  5. GreenBow
    One other thing I often wondered was are the harmonics being played twice. Once in the recording, and once in playback. Maybe some information is lost with that. It always confuses me though.

@musickid either way, whatever though, the M-Scaler is an awesome idea. Must be amazing to own one.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. SilverEars
    M Scalar is a waste of money. Not needed if you want transparency as the original mastering sampling is transparent, and not with upsampling.

The upsampling sounds quite off, and it makes no sense to have if you want to hear true to the file's output quality.

omniweltall likes this.
  7. STR-1
    Always an exciting time when you hear these announcements, but then always a risky time to place an order for an existing product before the big announcement is made, even if the wait time to launch is likely to be 3-6 months. I’m hoping for the 2Go module.

8. Deftone
    Lol ok mate, bye then.

9. musickid
    The upscaling on the mscaler is not really audible it is a mechanism to improve timing results and it is that in conjunction with the 1 million tap interpolation filter which accurately reconstructs the original analogue signal in the ADC.......and it is that which is so audible and delightful as has been reported in the world's top hifi audio magazines and online reviews as well as by many members here. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. For me the pairing with hugo 2 is sublime.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. Musikfan
    Thank you everyone for your replies and guidance. Very much appreciated...have a nice weekend listening to your music...

11. JaZZ Contributor
    You're looking at it the wrong way. It's as if you're saying the quality of the low-pass filter doesn't matter. In fact it does, which is easily comprehensible, as it affects the reproduction of transients. Upsampling is low-pass filtering! It's not about adding information that wasn't there, but subtracting information that's not wanted: high-frequency noise due to the sampling (→ stair-steps scenario). And if you are lucky to have someone like Rob Watts designing the algorithm, you'll benefit from maximally preserved transient accuracy.

In the early days of digital audio low-pass filtering (against aliasing and for the reconstruction of the original analogue signal → «reconstruction filter») was just done in the analogue domain. Since then upsampling has established as a superior variant, enabling much steeper and more sophisticated filters.

Windseeker likes this.
  12. Hermitsden
  13. musickid
    The following is quoted from the Dutch review above which otherwise was good all round. However the statement below is a discredit to them.

"Surprisingly we found that the difference between a Hugo TT 2 and a Hugo TT 2 with an SBooster was bigger than what happened when we added the Hugo M Scaler with its standard power supply".

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  14. ZappaMan
    Maybe someone involved has an interest in selling sbooster

SalvorHardin and Ragnar-BY like this.
  15. musickid
    Most likely....

First

Back
437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446
448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457
Next