1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445
447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456
Next

Last
  1. jarnopp
    I believe that as long as you are not getting dropouts, you are fine. It’s a digital signal with no RFI.

2. AndrewOld
    I don’t believe you are right about longer lengths sounding better, but like all cables there will be a minimum bending radius which should be quoted by the cable manufacturer.

3. apmusson
    I like optical with HMS... And I also got an improvement with the WAVE Storm BNC cables...

4. apmusson
    Good advice. I'll get used to the NUC / Audiolinux setup over optical and will swap out the NUC supplied SMPS for my LPS1.2 in a couple of weeks. I can't think of a reason that a digital signal transmitted over optical should be changed by an improvement in power supply, but I've given up ruling out the impact that small changes can make in the digital portion of the signal transfer.

ray-dude likes this.
  5. HumanMedia
    Does anyone know the size of the DC power plug on the M Scaler? Is it a 2.1mm centre pin diameter? Or 2.5mm?

6. Musikfan
    Hi, I've followed the threads on using optical with the M scaler. Can I use an optical out from M scaler and optical input into Chord Dave? If so, any suggestions on a good optical cable to use? Can you get 1 million taps using optical vs BNC? Thanks, everyone.

7. Deftone
    I dont have one but i think you can only do optical in to the Mscaler but even if you could output the signal to Dave it would be limited to 192khz and making the MScaler pointless. A fibre optic connection would be needed to galvanicly transport the full 705/768khz signal to the Dave.

8. x RELIC x Contributor
    You can use optical to input to the Mscaler, but you must use the dual BNC output of the M scaler for 1 million TAPs to a Chord DAC.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. Currawong Contributor
    Optical isolates the M Scaler from noise from the computer/transport and doesn't pick up noise. This isn't an issue with the M Scaler and Chord's DACs as Rob has designed around those issues with built-in noise isolation.

Shorter is better. And the cable you want is the Sysconcepts 1300 strand model. The page for that explains the issues with regular optical cables.

Paul Bjernklo likes this.
  10. musickid
    There is optical out from mscaler but limited to 192kHz so really meant for non chord dacs. Dual bnc out=1M taps with chord dacs so it would be pointless to run optical max 192kHz into dave.

I have been using the German kabeldirekt optical cable 1 metre from my imac to my mscaler with stellar results. Around £8 on amazon UK. My imac maximum out optical is 96kHz (late 2013 model) but not an issue for me as i only run rbcd into my mscaler. I believe kabeldirekt maxes out at 192kHz.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  11. ZappaMan
    SalvorHardin likes this.
  12. Uncle Monty
    Dealer once explained to me why a 1.5m Toslink performs better than a 0.75m Toslink - maybe because it costs more! There was a technical explanation but I can't remember what it was.
    Any ideas?

13. musickid
    I just downloaded hires FLAC 24 bit 96 kHz John Coltrane 10 essentials from qobuz to compare to tidal/roon rbcd. So far i hear no difference as i type. 96Khz is the maximum optical out from my imac. I'm getting the green light on my mscaler (SR in) so all is in order but i'm waiting to feel wow.

14. GreenBow
    If I was going to undertake a project like analysing CD-quality vs high res, I would not AB compare. I would listen to the CD-quality a few times or many times, and get vary familiar with it. Then switch to the high res version. Not saying that is what you should do. Just saying how I would do it.

I remember a statement made by, someone well up in the music business. Music or hardware I can't recall. He said something like, music improves the higher the resolution you go, up to 500KhHz.

Technically that makes sense to me. Not sure quite how much because I have not looked directly at the details. A high sampling frequency is going to pick up the small variations in the sine wave, made by harmonics. How small those are though, I have not looked. We know however small changes in the sine wave, can make audible and dramatic differences. (E.g. we know that Chord DACs which reproduce the sine wave more accurately, produce better soundstage cues.)

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. musickid
    Hello there,

I was not a/b'ing and downloaded those tracks as i do know them very well on tidal/roon rbcd. Anyway after careful listening i hear no difference between the 96kHz 24bit qobuz hires vs tidal/roon rbcd. Had there been a nice difference then i would consider the move to qobuz. So as qobuz is more classically orientated (which i like very much as i played violin for 10 years when younger) tidal seems to be more diverse so i'm sticking to tidal for now. I was actually hoping for a nice lift with the hires on qobuz but felt nothing.

First

Back
436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445
447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456
Next

Last