Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #6,601 of 18,444
With optical out from a computer how does the computer convert flac into pcm which in my case is passed on to my mscaler? thanks to all

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #6,602 of 18,444
I thought I would post an update to the recent BNC cables reviewed by Jay @ Audiobacon which now seems to include the Sarum T by Chord Cables.... but uncertain what equipment was used...?

https://audiobacon.net/2019/03/13/the-chord-company-sarum-t-digital-cable-review/

I have used two cables Wave Stream and the Chord Sarum T.... and can only second Jay findings between the two cables with a slight difference....

I preferred the Sarum T when I had the Dave Blu but prefer the Wave with the Dave Mscaler. I did not do any extensive blind tests but just a few tracks and a second opinion from the 2nd in command...! Who also agreed. ( both untrained ears and YMMV )

I now use the Dave Mscaler.

I have too much detail with the Dave Mscaler with the Sarum T but found the Wave more musical and yet still plenty of detail and high end sparkle.

I ended up with the Wave although the rest of my cables are Chord Sarum T and Music....

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #6,605 of 18,444
1st look inside. Enjoy. From Fidelity Magazine online. I can't locate the XC7A200T!!

Chord-Hugo-M-Scaler-4.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #6,606 of 18,444
I assume there is another section under what we see here. Follow those ribbon cables...

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #6,607 of 18,444
I assume there is another section under what we see here. Follow those ribbon cables...

Beware of assumption! The ribbon cables just go to the selection buttons and the remote sensor at the front.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #6,608 of 18,444
Beware of assumption! The ribbon cables just go to the selection buttons and the remote sensor at the front.

Hmmm. How tall are those standoffs (bolts) maybe there is more on the other side of the PCB?
And what warms the unit up? Is there something heatsinked to the chassis somewhere?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #6,609 of 18,444
1st look inside. Enjoy. From Fidelity Magazine online. I can't locate the XC7A200T!!

Chord-Hugo-M-Scaler-4.jpg

Thanks for that. There was a a time when I was arguing for a stand-alone M Scaler and all the smart people told me knowingly it wasn’t possible, and even if it was it would cost the same as a BLU 2 and even if it didn’t it wouldn’t happen for years .. and now look. A small (but no doubt complex) board in a half empty case.

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #6,611 of 18,444
Hmmm. How tall are those standoffs (bolts) maybe there is more on the other side of the PCB?
And what warms the unit up? Is there something heatsinked to the chassis somewhere?

You have worked it out. The FPGA is clamped via the screws directly onto the bottom plate. Since the FPGA passivated silicon die is exposed, and this is clamped directly to the chassis, the chassis temperature on the bottom is the actual die temperature. So the FPGA is on the bottom side of the PCB, together with more circuitry.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #6,613 of 18,444
You have worked it out. The FPGA is clamped via the screws directly onto the bottom plate. Since the FPGA passivated silicon die is exposed, and this is clamped directly to the chassis, the chassis temperature on the bottom is the actual die temperature. So the FPGA is on the bottom side of the PCB, together with more circuitry.

Oh really? And I "definitely" suspected we had been "screwed" again.

And that my actually increasing on a daily basis,REAL enjoyment of MANY MORE than expected rbcd discs via optical and HMS /Q in my home system was only placebo kicking in?

Or could the reason Q/HMS rbcd via optical now clearly beats my SACD player in my speaker based system, be because you were correct all the time?

What would the implications regarding Atkinson's review of the Rossini SACD transport in the current issue of Stereophile be?

Cheers CC

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #6,615 of 18,444
Sarum t digital usb is my choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back