1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439
441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450
Next

Last
  1. Deftone
    giphy.gif

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    ZappaMan likes this.
  2. xxx1313
    It is almost THREE weeks to the High End in Munich. For a moment, you really made me afraid of having booked hotel and travel for the wrong weekend. :wink:

3. rkt31
    wav and FLAC are file extension. dac has nothing to with any of it. any dac can receive data in pcm that is stream of bits in a certain pattern like 44100 samples of 16 bits each per second. generally external dac don't decode FLAC into pcm inside itself except few which have the facility of decoding inside and can be fed the FLAC file with usb stick or as cards etc. once FLAC is decoded to pcm ( wether by source/player like laptop, mobile etc or in the dac itself) it does not matter to dac.

musickid likes this.
  4. Uncle Monty
    So, if you keep your music on a server or a music player (like an Antipodes CX or an AK380 for example) and connect that to the MScaler / TT2 combo with an optical or USB cable, it makes no difference whether the files are FLAC or WAV, the MScaler will receive exactly the same data and the music files will sound the same?

(this is a genuine question btw - I don't really understand exactly how these things work - I'm not into electronics or computers - I just read articles with differing opinions and want to know the truth)

Christer and SalvorHardin like this.
  5. SalvorHardin
    As I understand it, The source-DAP, streamer or computer-converts FLAC or ALAC to PCM data, to be processed by the DAC. And I believe any possible flaws in the data come from how difficult it is to process in the source. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Uncle Monty likes this.
  6. Triode User
    Just on the highlighted part of the quote of your post, it is my understanding that if there were any flaws in any of the data then you would hear a click or a pop and not a slight change to the sound quality. I cannot recollect the last time I heard a click or pop on digital music and my conclusion is therefore that digital streams are basically flaw free. Again though, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  7. rkt31
    dac can consume data in pcm or dsd (1 bit stream ) only. not all dac take dsd data though. you play music in any format (wav,FLAC,MP3,AAC etc) it is converted to pcm for the dac. flac is like zip. it packs similar bits non linearly by using some algorithm with losing any information. it is also converted into pcm stream inside the player before feeding to dac.

8. SalvorHardin
    Right. I was thinking about the debate on FLAC/ALAC vs lossless. And frankly, I'm just not as sure as I was before converting a FLAC to AIFF to see if I could hear a difference. I had a slight impression of a difference, but not enugh to cconvince myself.
    But, I've noticed that the quibble is over FLAC. Has anyone compared WAV/AIFF to ALAC? To put it simply and perhaps wrongly, I understand ALAC just removes the bits with no sound value at all, making a smaller filesize.

9. x RELIC x Contributor
    They are both lossless and should sound exactly the same, it's not a question of 'FLAC/ALAC vs lossless'. If they don't sound the same then the decoder is severely flawed. It's like saying zip compression gives different data than rar compression with PC data files. It's just different compression algorithms but the data is the exact same data once extracted/decoded. I won't get in to whether others can hear differences or not between lossless formats but lossless is lossless.... no loss of data.

Now, for lossy codecs like MP3 and AAC there is data that's lost forever and can't be recovered and they can and do sound different depending on the compression used.

musickid, Deftone and SalvorHardin like this.
  10. dac64
    This is not an apple to apple. I preferred CD (toslink) vs wav format (usb).

Sony ps3 play station toslink to qutest and sony hap z1es usb to qutest.

CDs were ripped to wav via internal sony feature (precision mode).

no big difference between stock ps and poweradd power bank.

I felt that cd/toslink has better punch or weight, better in depth details and firmed and solid image.

11. Deftone
    You should try this test again but use optical for both this time, the CDA files on CD and WAV files on the computer will be identical but the differentiating factor here will be the OPT compared to noise on the USB.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. dac64
    I wish too, ps3 doesn't have usb out and sony doesn't have optical out. :wink:

13. Uncle Monty
    So who can hear a difference between FLAC (or ALAC) and WAV (or AIFF) through their M-Scaler?

14. Deftone
    Or who thinks they can hear a difference between FLAC (or ALAC) and WAV (or AIFF) through their M-Scaler? :grin:

15. musickid
    With optical out from a computer how does the computer convert flac into pcm which in my case is passed on to my mscaler? thanks to all

First

Back
430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439
441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450
Next

Last