Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 2, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,361 of 18,448
This is a very newbie sort of questions, so I apologize in advance.

I was wondering, would I see a bigger gain by including the m-scaler in my chain, or would I see a bigger gain by going with a different headphone? Currently, I have Tidal>Hugo 2>LTA MicroZOTL MZ2>Dana Cables>Focal Utopias.

If I bought some Meze Empyreons, Abyss, or ZMF headphones, would I see a bigger change in the sound than I would get with the M-Scaler? I am unfortunately unable to try our gear (I live in an area that is devoid of high-end audio stores). My issue is, should I add the m-scaler to my chain and max out my Utopia setup, or should I spend the $5K on different headphone to get a variety of headphone "signatures?"

Thanks

For sure another headphone first, to complement Utopia.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #6,362 of 18,448
For sure another headphone first, to complement Utopia.
Thanks! Just so I'm clear, you are saying that a new headphone will suit me better, and provide a bigger improvement, compared with purchasing the M-Scaler instead?

I'm a bit of a quant person, so apologies, but would you say a new heaphone(s) will provide X% value, while the m-scaler will provide Y% value, with the X% being larger than the Y%?

I appreciate the help!

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6,363 of 18,448
Thanks! Just so I'm clear, you are saying that a new headphone will suit me better, and provide a bigger improvement, compared with purchasing the M-Scaler instead?

I'm a bit of a quant person, so apologies, but would you say a new heaphone(s) will provide X% value, while the m-scaler will provide Y% value, with the X% being larger than the Y%?

I appreciate the help!

Personally I give a 10-20% to M-Scaler. I like mine but I also think the improvement is not night and day. It is noticeable but subtle. Your Utopia will still sound like a Utopia. New headphones are a 100% change from the Utopia. In regards to your chain I would personally switch the Hugo2 and LTA combo to a TT2 before investing in an M-Scaler. Just my two cents.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #6,364 of 18,448
This is a very newbie sort of questions, so I apologize in advance.

I was wondering, would I see a bigger gain by including the m-scaler in my chain, or would I see a bigger gain by going with a different headphone? Currently, I have Tidal>Hugo 2>LTA MicroZOTL MZ2>Dana Cables>Focal Utopias.

If I bought some Meze Empyreons, Abyss, or ZMF headphones, would I see a bigger change in the sound than I would get with the M-Scaler? I am unfortunately unable to try our gear (I live in an area that is devoid of high-end audio stores). My issue is, should I add the m-scaler to my chain and max out my Utopia setup, or should I spend the $5K on different headphone to get a variety of headphone "signatures?"

Thanks
You would observe a more noticeable change by purchasing different headphones.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #6,365 of 18,448
Thanks!

Now it's time to purchase the Empyreans and/or ZMF Verites.

Choices, choices...:)

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #6,366 of 18,448

True, but that does not mean it will be for the better. If you were moving from Sundara to Susvara for example, within the same family and sound sig that you like, the much better headphone would be the way to go. But if you like your TOTL headphone, a different signature is not the same as maxing out the quality of the whole chain. I would vote mScaler first, if the OP has heard a lot of TOTL ‘phones and likes the Utopias.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #6,367 of 18,448
True, but that does not mean it will be for the better. If you were moving from Sundara to Susvara for example, within the same family and sound sig that you like, the much better headphone would be the way to go. But if you like your TOTL headphone, a different signature is not the same as maxing out the quality of the whole chain. I would vote mScaler first, if the OP has heard a lot of TOTL ‘phones and likes the Utopias.
I actually have heard several TOTL headphones. But, I haven't heard the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, or Abyss Phis.

Currently, I have:

Focal Utopia (for metal and rock)
Fostex TH900mk 2 (for hip hop)
Sennehiser HD800 (for classical)
LCD-2s (hip hop)
Grado (for when I want to get good separation and have "fun")

So, I was thinking about getting the Abyss Diana Phi, ZMF Veritas or Meze Empyereans to compliment my metal and rock listening. But if the m-scaler can notably increase the quality of all of my existing headphones, I would pull the trigger

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #6,369 of 18,448
Hence why I said "change" and didn't say better or improvement. It becomes a question of subjectivity vs. objectivity and a personal preference. No one can pretend to understand how someone else will perceive sound or fully understand someones preferences-- this is why its critical that people listen to any equipment they're considering before making a purchase. The word "better" is used too often on Head-Fi not to describe something that is technically better but instead to describe something that better matches someone's personal preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #6,370 of 18,448
Hence why I said "change" and didn't say better or improvement. It becomes a question of subjectivity vs. objectivity and a personal preference. No one can pretend to understand how someone else will perceive sound or fully understand someones preferences-- this is why its critical that people listen to any equipment they're considering before making a purchase.
I wish I had that option, but it doesn’t exist in my location. I have to buy, and then listen, and then return the equipment if I don’t like it. When we’re talking $4-5K on headphones or the M-Scaler, I have to do my research in hopes that I make an educated purchase that I’ll like. It’s a risk, so I’m asking for everybody’s opinions.

Thanks everybody :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #6,371 of 18,448
I wish I had that option, but it doesn’t exist in my location. I have to buy, and then listen, and then return the equipment if I don’t like it. When we’re talking $4-5K on headphones or the M-Scaler, I have to do my research in hopes that I make an educated purchase that I’ll like. It’s a risk, so I’m asking for everybody’s opinions.

Thanks everybody :)
Chord, Meze, Abyss just 165 miles away: http://www.thxstereo.com/Brand_We_Sell.html

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #6,372 of 18,448
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #6,373 of 18,448
I actually have heard several TOTL headphones. But, I haven't heard the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, or Abyss Phis.

Among my personal taste from Canjam, I would rate it 1. Abyss Phi 2. Meze Empyrean 3. Verites. I put my money on Abyss. I remember when I heard Susvara, Abyss Phi and Focal Utopia (and Stax) side by side. I easily put Utopia a distant 3rd tier. I left that moment, sold my Utopia and place my order for the Abyss. No brainer for me. FWIW... I also agree with other sentiment. I like my mscaler but would emphasis new headphones over mscaler given the options and my experience.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #6,374 of 18,448

Currently, I have:

Focal Utopia (for metal and rock)
Fostex TH900mk 2 (for hip hop)
Sennehiser HD800 (for classical)
LCD-2s (hip hop)
Grado (for when I want to get good separation and have "fun")

So, I was thinking about getting the Abyss Diana Phi, ZMF Veritas or Meze Empyereans to compliment my metal and rock listening. But if the m-scaler can notably increase the quality of all of my existing headphones, I would pull the trigger

In my opinion, since you already have a very nice collection of great headphones, the M Scaler would bring a very compelling return on investment, since all your current headphones performances would benefit from it, i.e. all of them will sound - notably - better (especially true for the most resolving of the bunch, i.e. HD800 / Utopia).

In terms of sounding different, this is another story, the biggest change would be by adding another "flavour" to your HP signatures collection, and in that case I would go for the Verité.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #6,375 of 18,448
@Rob Watts I read in another thread (Hugo2 I think) that you stated a 705.6kHz or 768kHz is passed straight through by the M Scaler, and that an M Scaled 44.1kHz file sounds identical to the 705.6kHz version of the same track.

Does this mean that if we put to one side for a moment the differences between your DAC designs and others, any DAC that could handle 705.6kHz/768kHz files, could receive a native 705.6kHz file and in theory recreate the original analog signal to better than 16bit accuracy too?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back