Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #5,941 of 18,495
I've had my HMS for a couple of months now (connected to DAVE) and will post some impressions in due course, but first a couple of questions/comments on practicalities:

1. In dual-BNC mode (DAVE's input set to BNC3), when I switch between 44k > 88k > 196k > 352k > 705k, the 352k setting results in mono for about 3 seconds and then switches automatically to 705k. And if I switch to DAVE BNC4 input, then I permanently get 352k in mono, which means that I can't compare the 0.5M tap option in practice. So far, this is as expected based on previous posts.

But even when I have just a single cable connected (either BNC 1 to BNC3, or BNC1 to BNC1) I can still only get 352k in mono. So under no circumstance can I ever hear 0.5M taps in stereo.
This seems wrong. Any ideas anyone what's happening here? The 2nd BNC cable is full disconnected for this test.

2. An observation: When I first connected up the HMS with stock BNC cables, I would occasionally get drop outs. Oh NOOOOOO! Which was a worrying repeat of what happened when I tried a BLU2 a couple of years back. No amount of swapping cables around, or wiggling them about, would get rid of this. One cable seemed more susceptible to wiggling effects, but both cables looked fine, with solid looking connectors..

Then at one point when wiggling cables I accidently touched the top surface of the HMS and got what felt like a very tiny static discharge. And from then on, I have never had any drop-out issue with those (or any other) BNC cables. Coincidence? Maybe, but whatever, this just reinforces my suspicion that DAVE (or at least my DAVE) is very sensitive to such things when in the most demanding dual-BNC situation.

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #5,942 of 18,495
Use the single S/PDIF out instead of one of the dual BNC outs! And in dual data mode take care to have BNC 1 connected to DAVE's BNC 3 and BNC 2 connected to DAVE's BNC 4 (or DAVE's BNC 1 and 2, respectively).

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #5,943 of 18,495
My current setup is MacBook Pro > HMS > H2 > Pass Labs HPA-1> Focal Utopia. When adding the HPA-1 to the chain, I feel that moving to the 1M taps makes not much difference in SQ, except for the fact that the amp delivers a more robust sound to the Utopias overall. Anyone that knows the PASS LABS amp could advice on which setup would have better results: HMS + H2 + Pass or HMS + TT2? I really don't know if I will have significant changes by updating my setup with the TT2 and it would be great to hear your experience.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #5,944 of 18,495
My current setup is MacBook Pro > HMS > H2 > Pass Labs HPA-1> Focal Utopia. When adding the HPA-1 to the chain, I feel that moving to the 1M taps makes not much difference in SQ, except for the fact that the amp delivers a more robust sound to the Utopias overall. Anyone that knows the PASS LABS amp could advice on which setup would have better results: HMS + H2 + Pass or HMS + TT2? I really don't know if I will have significant changes by updating my setup with the TT2 and it would be great to hear your experience.

Since the Utopia doesn’t need anywhere near the power of the HPA-1, or the TT2, it seems like you need to decide between the tonal differences with the HPA-1 and benefits of Rob’s designs direct. The TT2 is said to have more ‘oomph’ to its sound over the Hugo2 from what I’ve read. It’s also common to read in the thread that adding an extra amp reduces the effect of the M scaler, as you mention.

I’m sure others with direct experience will chime in.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #5,945 of 18,495
Since the Utopia doesn’t need anywhere near the power of the HPA-1, or the TT2, it seems like you need to decide between the tonal differences with the HPA-1 and benefits of Rob’s designs direct. The TT2 is said to have more ‘oomph’ to its sound over the Hugo2 from what I’ve read. It’s also common to read in the thread that adding an extra amp reduces the effect of the M scaler, as you mention.

I’m sure others with direct experience will chime in.
Thanks Relic!

And that leads to the next question: should I change to Hugo TT2 and keep the Utopias or upgrade to Susvara / Abyss and keep the PASS + H2? One thing is for sure: HMS is not going anywhere!

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #5,946 of 18,495
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #5,947 of 18,495
You could also go with the TT2 + HMS to the Abyss, I've read people drive their Abyss through the TT2's XLR out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-294#post-14764117
Thanks for sharing! It seems that TT2 is really capable of driving all sorts of headphones. Apparently adding HMS to the chain gives SQ a new meaning where we do not need to consider only driving power bit how tonality and timbre are critical characteristics after you get used to them. Introducing HMS open my set to new opportunities that are making me feel overwhelmed :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #5,948 of 18,495
Thanks Relic!

And that leads to the next question: should I change to Hugo TT2 and keep the Utopias or upgrade to Susvara / Abyss and keep the PASS + H2? One thing is for sure: HMS is not going anywhere!

Well, do you feel like you are having to compensate for the Utopia’s signature, or do you have upgrade-itis? Yours is a difficult question for anyone to answer because only you know where your preferences are. If it were me I’d get the extra amp out of the way and just use the Hugo2 with the Utopia (which is what I do already), but obviously you are looking for something more. If you have the money then, if it were me, I’d get the TT2. That way down the line if you want to try other headphones you won’t have to worry about drive ability and adding extra components to your chain. Of course curiosity will get to you eventually and you’ll want to try different things... mark my words. ; )

I used to try to synergize the source gear to headphones that were not to my preference and that seemed like a merry-go-round, but I have since long ago turned around and look more at the headphone I am happy with first. My recommendation is to audition if you can.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #5,949 of 18,495
Thanks Relic!

I own the Utopia, abyss phi cc and susvara, and i can say the latter 2 is distinctly better than the Utopia once properly driven. There would be a few 2nd hand phis going up soon as folks are upgrading to the TC, so mite be a good time to snag one for cheap. I let my Phi cc go for 3k$. TC on it's way.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,950 of 18,495
Well, do you feel like you are having to compensate for the Utopia’s signature, or do you have upgrade-itis? Yours is a difficult question for anyone to answer because only you know where your preferences are. If it were me I’d get the extra amp out of the way and just use the Hugo2 with the Utopia (which is what I do already), but obviously you are looking for something more. If you have the money then, if it were me, I’d get the TT2. That way down the line if you want to try other headphones you won’t have to worry about drive ability and adding extra components to your chain. Of course curiosity will get to you eventually and you’ll want to try different things... mark my words. ; )

I used to try to synergize the source gear to headphones that were not to my preference and that seemed like a merry-go-round, but I have since long ago turned around and look more at the headphone I am happy with first. My recommendation is to audition if you can.
I think you've nailed it! I am not 100% happy with Utopias, as I find them a little thin on bass. Not that I am a basshead, but I think they could have a better punch. They are very detailed though. After adding HMS I started to appreciate FU detail levels even more, what keeps me thinking on improving the system.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #5,952 of 18,495
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5,953 of 18,495
I own the Utopia, abyss phi cc and susvara, and i can say the latter 2 is distinctly better than the Utopia once properly driven. There would be a few 2nd hand phis going up soon as folks are upgrading to the TC, so mite be a good time to snag one for cheap. I let my Phi cc go for 3k$. TC on it's way.
I think its worth to wait for the TC's... How Abyss sounds with HMS?

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,954 of 18,495

Abyss (Phi in my case) sounds marvelous with the M Scaler. The full bodied, smooth and natural sound signature of the M Scaler matches very well the strengths of the Abyss, and provides a very pleasing touch of warmth in the top end / upper midrange, female vocals being a nice highlight.

Also, a very solid soundstage and imaging improvement (with respect to the already great DAVE baseline), again building on the strengths of the Abyss.

I am going to follow the same route of @matthewhypolite and other Abyss house sound lovers, by getting the TC as soon as I will complete the sale of my Phi pair :)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #5,955 of 18,495

That's why I'm here, to find out above Dave and mscaler as I'm currently on yggy v2.

I focused on my amp stage first, now that I'm on an end game amp, time for dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back