1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396
398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407
Next

Last
  1. JaZZ Contributor
    Use the single S/PDIF out instead of one of the dual BNC outs! And in dual data mode take care to have BNC 1 connected to DAVE's BNC 3 and BNC 2 connected to DAVE's BNC 4 (or DAVE's BNC 1 and 2, respectively).

2. Allears79
    My current setup is MacBook Pro > HMS > H2 > Pass Labs HPA-1> Focal Utopia. When adding the HPA-1 to the chain, I feel that moving to the 1M taps makes not much difference in SQ, except for the fact that the amp delivers a more robust sound to the Utopias overall. Anyone that knows the PASS LABS amp could advice on which setup would have better results: HMS + H2 + Pass or HMS + TT2? I really don't know if I will have significant changes by updating my setup with the TT2 and it would be great to hear your experience.

3. x RELIC x Contributor
    Since the Utopia doesn’t need anywhere near the power of the HPA-1, or the TT2, it seems like you need to decide between the tonal differences with the HPA-1 and benefits of Rob’s designs direct. The TT2 is said to have more ‘oomph’ to its sound over the Hugo2 from what I’ve read. It’s also common to read in the thread that adding an extra amp reduces the effect of the M scaler, as you mention.

I’m sure others with direct experience will chime in.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    muski likes this.
  4. Allears79
    Thanks Relic!

And that leads to the next question: should I change to Hugo TT2 and keep the Utopias or upgrade to Susvara / Abyss and keep the PASS + H2? One thing is for sure: HMS is not going anywhere!

5. fixated
    You could also go with the TT2 + HMS to the Abyss, I've read people drive their Abyss through the TT2's XLR out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-294#post-14764117

Deftone and jarnopp like this.
  6. Allears79
    Thanks for sharing! It seems that TT2 is really capable of driving all sorts of headphones. Apparently adding HMS to the chain gives SQ a new meaning where we do not need to consider only driving power bit how tonality and timbre are critical characteristics after you get used to them. Introducing HMS open my set to new opportunities that are making me feel overwhelmed :)

7. x RELIC x Contributor
    Well, do you feel like you are having to compensate for the Utopia’s signature, or do you have upgrade-itis? Yours is a difficult question for anyone to answer because only you know where your preferences are. If it were me I’d get the extra amp out of the way and just use the Hugo2 with the Utopia (which is what I do already), but obviously you are looking for something more. If you have the money then, if it were me, I’d get the TT2. That way down the line if you want to try other headphones you won’t have to worry about drive ability and adding extra components to your chain. Of course curiosity will get to you eventually and you’ll want to try different things... mark my words. ; )

I used to try to synergize the source gear to headphones that were not to my preference and that seemed like a merry-go-round, but I have since long ago turned around and look more at the headphone I am happy with first. My recommendation is to audition if you can.

xxx1313 and jarnopp like this.
  8. matthewhypolite
    I own the Utopia, abyss phi cc and susvara, and i can say the latter 2 is distinctly better than the Utopia once properly driven. There would be a few 2nd hand phis going up soon as folks are upgrading to the TC, so mite be a good time to snag one for cheap. I let my Phi cc go for 3k$. TC on it's way.

9. Allears79
    I think you've nailed it! I am not 100% happy with Utopias, as I find them a little thin on bass. Not that I am a basshead, but I think they could have a better punch. They are very detailed though. After adding HMS I started to appreciate FU detail levels even more, what keeps me thinking on improving the system.

10. ZappaMan
    What’s FU

11. Allears79
    Sorry for that ZappaMan. Its "Focal Utopia"

ZappaMan likes this.
  12. Allears79
    I think its worth to wait for the TC's... How Abyss sounds with HMS?

13. simorag
    Abyss (Phi in my case) sounds marvelous with the M Scaler. The full bodied, smooth and natural sound signature of the M Scaler matches very well the strengths of the Abyss, and provides a very pleasing touch of warmth in the top end / upper midrange, female vocals being a nice highlight.

Also, a very solid soundstage and imaging improvement (with respect to the already great DAVE baseline), again building on the strengths of the Abyss.

I am going to follow the same route of @matthewhypolite and other Abyss house sound lovers, by getting the TC as soon as I will complete the sale of my Phi pair :)

14. matthewhypolite
    That's why I'm here, to find out above Dave and mscaler as I'm currently on yggy v2.

I focused on my amp stage first, now that I'm on an end game amp, time for dac.

15. Allears79
    Can you clearly hear performance improvement with the Abyss comparing 1M taps vs. pass through mode?

First

Back
387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396
398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407
Next

Last