1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394
396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405
Next

Last
  1. x RELIC x Contributor
    Yeah, Qutest shares Mojo’s OP stage where Hugo2 is different/more sophisticated and includes second order noise shapers. The reasoning is the output of the Hugo2 is intended to feed headphones, and the Qutest is intended to feed an amp. TAPs aren’t the only parts to sound reproduction.

onsionsi, flacre and Progisus like this.
  2. sasaki99
    Fully agreed here, audio world is not just about the tech data. People have to listen to things not reading, ears are like other muscles of the body parts, they get better by training. When your ears reach some point you will find that this hobby is extremely expensive.
    The Dave is a excellent dac/pre but people still selling them because they need something new to their ears and that's a good way to burn cash. There is no end game gears in this hobby, once you you get used to the sound in your system no matter how good it is, there will be things that you hear and get exciting again.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    jarnopp likes this.
  3. zappazappazappa
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    onsionsi, Windseeker, STR-1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Foxman50
    Was you connecting Dave via XLR, if so it may have been over driving the power amps input, try RCA instead.

I had this recently and only discovered by accident. XLR is 6v output while RCA is 3v.

5. sasaki99
    I always use RCA. IDK if 3v input is too strong for my power amp but when I use stand alone Dave as a pre, there is no distortion.

This is interesting for me. I tried moving the bnc cables around the back of the Dave without connecting them into any ports just get nearby bnc ports. The distortion noise get louder in some areas. I think those bnc ports are really sensitive to signal. Maybe I should find bnc cap protectives to put on those unused ports. Maybe they could solve the distortion.

6. legend
    Thanks for this info however it does not really explain why I heard the sudden and major magic improvement with the M-Scaler attached to the Qutest only when operating at x16 upsampling through the DBNC - and much less so at x2 & x4 and even x8 even though presumably all sampling rates are still using 1M taps?

7. Allears79
    I’ve been using the HMS+H2 for a week now and my FU never sounded so transparent and 3D. Last night I added the Pass Labs HPA-1 which feels a bit overkill with the FU. I am starting to consider buying the TT2 and having one single system without the Pass and the H2. If anyone is interested in buying them let me know, so I can quickly move forward and gey the TT2 :)

8. Deftone
    Looks clean in there.

Capture.PNG

9. racebit
    My cheap 10 year old Gigabyte motherboard (GA-H55M) works perfectly sending 192 Khz to Mojo via cheap (€5) and excellent optical cable (www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004YEEPNQ)
    I think all motherboards should do that, so no need for a sound card I think.
    Are you using ASIO?
    My motherboard driver does not support ASIO, required for bit perfect, which is mandatory with Chord DACs. So I use ASIO4ALL. Maybe if you use ASIO4ALL you can get 192KHz to work with your motherboard?
    When I play the same 192Khz files with Windows Media Player or VLC, Mojo only receives 44.1 KHz (red light), because ASIO is not being used. Only when I play them with Foobar which uses ASIO4ALL i get 192Khz (dark blue light) on Mojo.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    ZappaMan likes this.
  10. musickid
    with white OPSR and single bnc 352.8kHz is that 0.5m taps being used?

and with white OPSR single optical out 176.4kHz how many taps is that?

for legend: only white SR/dual bnc uses 1m taps.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  11. Rob Watts
    Actually the intent was for low gain to work with efficient IEM's... I run normal headphones in high gain mode, as there is no way you will hear the residual noise. But take care with volume! But DAC mode is set to low gain mode, and I guess driving power amps direct low gain would be the most appropriate setting.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi likes this.
  12. Triode User
    . . . and of course if the TT2 is being used as a pre amp direct into a power amp or amps then it will soon be obvious whether high gain or low gain is most appropriate for the individual system because of where the TT2 volume needs to be set to get a comfortable in room listening volume.

13. danish71
    Jan, do you use the Stream Box Ultra with another power supply than the supplied one?

14. Lgn3
    Thanks for the clarification.

15. matthewhypolite
    Hi all,

Looking into dac upgrade. Currently have the Yggy v2, looking to spend between 10-20k on the upgrade.

Shortlist :

Msb Discrete / premier.
    Dave + M scaler.

Any advice? Also I see mention of folks selling Dave, what do they go to when they sell the Dave

Thanks.

First

Back
385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394
396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405
Next

Last