Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #5,836 of 18,478
Playing with the M-Scaler using it's optical-output, mostly out of morbid curiosity, I find that the Output Sample rate options do not follow those of the COAX and (single) BNC connections, nor the indications in the manual (or at least the latest version on the Chord site).

In "Passthrough" mode, the optical output correctly operates at the same bit-rate/depth as the source is feeding the M-Scaler. However, the "Green" setting, which the manual says should result in an optical output rate of 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz (depending on the source rate) jumps immediately to 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz.

In other words, it does not seem to be possible to get an output rate of anything other than 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz via optical from the M-Scaler unless it is in passthrough mode. This doesn't cause me any issues, I'm just curious if that's the intended behavior (and the manual is in error), or if there is some other factor affecting the output rate behavior on the optical link. BNC output steps up in the sequence listed in the manual.
Are you sure you’re source is not responsible for the upscaling prior to signal reaching mscaler? Such as turning on windows up sampling.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #5,837 of 18,478
Are you sure you’re source is not responsible for the upscaling prior to signal reaching mscaler? Such as turning on windows up sampling.

I’m 100% sure that the signal reaching the M-Scaler is at the correct rate. The output rate from the M-Scaler is as expected/documented via the BNC outputs. It just jumps from the source frequency to 176.4 or 192 kHz for the optical output from the M-Scaler even though a BNC connected DAC shows the expected rate of 88.2 or 96 kHz.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #5,838 of 18,478
Anybody compared the stock pair of Bnc cables supplied with m scaler to other higher end RCA coaxial/bnc cables ? Is there any adaptor for using coaxial cable to bnc input ?

I get into this in my review. I have a section on Effect of different BNC cables.

As for adapters, they exist in every flavor on Amazon and countless other places:
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 11.08.54 AM.png

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #5,840 of 18,478
I get into this in my review. I have a section on Effect of different BNC cables.

As for adapters, they exist in every flavor on Amazon and countless other places:

Love your review. You summise the impact of the mscaler very well (coherence and timing). I have listened to and enjoyed more music than ever before as a result of my mscaler purchase.

There's a kind of honesty and relaxation in the presentation of the music (technical presentation - tense music sounds as tense as it should do) that means listening for hours is as enjoyable as it should be. I often think I'll listen to a few songs before bed and the next time I look at my watch hours have flown by.

Ade

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,841 of 18,478
Love your review. You summise the impact of the mscaler very well (coherence and timing). I have listened to and enjoyed more music than ever before as a result of my mscaler purchase.

There's a kind of honesty and relaxation in the presentation of the music (technical presentation - tense music sounds as tense as it should do) that means listening for hours is as enjoyable as it should be. I often think I'll listen to a few songs before bed and the next time I look at my watch hours have flown by.

Ade

Indeed, don’t buy the M Scaler if you value your beauty sleep!

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,844 of 18,478
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #5,845 of 18,478
Just got my M scaler and TT2. Couple quick questions. Since I’m using the dual bnc cable do I basically keep the upsampling ball to white at all times for maximum upsampling? And do the lights eventually go out when you don’t use it? The input ball light went out and I assume once I start playing a source it will turn blue to reflect the dual bnc input that was last selected so I don’t need to select the input each time? The upsampling light is staying on but eventually will it go out? Thanks

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #5,846 of 18,478
Just got my M scaler and TT2. Couple quick questions. Since I’m using the dual bnc cable do I basically keep the upsampling ball to white at all times for maximum upsampling? And do the lights eventually go out when you don’t use it? The input ball light went out and I assume once I start playing a source it will turn blue to reflect the dual bnc input that was last selected so I don’t need to select the input each time? The upsampling light is staying on but eventually will it go out? Thanks

Yep.

All but one LED will go out when the M Scaler goes to sleep (after like 10 minutes of no signal activity).

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,848 of 18,478
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #5,849 of 18,478
are you using dual bnc input wdh? if so can someone explain to me what type of source would use dual bnc into mscaler?? wdh are you using dual bnc into mscaler and does this show as a blue input colour. this is new for me any explanation appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back