1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387
389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398
Next

Last
  1. Boogie7910
    Just going optical out of an Asus Z97-PRO motherboard. Perhaps I should look into a sound card that does 196khz.

2. musickid
    For Rob,

small point going back to the RF interference/ground loop discussion. if a PC and another device are both plugged into the same mains strip (but not directly connected to each other) does that count as the two of them being electrically connected?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    ZappaMan likes this.
  3. adyc
    Lumin U1 min. It has optical and USB output.

4. koven Contributor
    I almost bought a U1 mini but the SMPS turned me away. I don't know if there are any LPS options w/o modification. Are you using the U1 mini?

5. Christer
    Thanks another option to rule out then.
    A DAP where you can ENTIRELY BY-PASS internal DAC and DSP options would be nice if there is one?.
    I want to be able to stil use both my Qutest and M Scaler for all the maths needed except storing and passing my hi res files
    for optimal upscaling and optimal playback at the highest possible SQ Qutest/M Scaler can deliver.
    Cheers Controversial Christer

6. Christer
    Thanks for your advice.
    It sounds encouraging.

I need a cheapish DAP that can handle/stream all current hi res formats including DSD and I am planning on using it only as a transport.
    I would not mind getting a second hand one if it is transparent and does what I need it to do.
    I am not going to admire it for its looks it or buy it to impress anyone.

Do you know which DAPs can play all formats from 24/96 up to DXD and DSD up to DSD 512?
    Also important is that I can store big files on it internally or via an SSD slot of large capacity.

As far as Chromecast Audio is concerned you confirm what I read elsewhere.
    It is a product which I realized at an early stage of my search would not be of any use for me at all.

I have less than 1% 16/44.1 material on my harddrives and although clearly better than rbcd as I knew it before M Scaler it is still not as good as hi res to me.

Native well recorded acoustic music in hi res still sounds more natural and relaxed and realistic and effortless than any rbcd I have heard since getting my M Scaler.
    I have both native hi res masters and downsampled to 16/44.1 versions of enough albums to know for sure by now.
    I was initally quite impressed by what I heard from some rbcd material that sounded rather awful before M Scaler but became listenable with it.

Before M Scaler I couldn't listen to complex densely scored large scale symphonic music for more than a short time on rbcd.
    Now I can,but with so much really well recorded music in hi res my interest in rbcd is mainly for historic exceptional performances of great works by artists no longer alive or not recording any longer.

In this case I will always gladly pay for the native hi res version of any music I buy than a much cheaper rbcd version.
    And I do so well knowing that in most cases I will get a clearly better sounding version.

Do you perceive any clear advantages SQ wise between the ones you list above, or are they all three equal SQ wise?
    Cheers Controversial Christer

7. Triode User
    Don’t forget that it is not as simple as saying that all LPS are better than all SMPS, indeed quite often they are worse. Otherwise the SMPS in Dave would be an issue and yet it is clearly the best and most transparent dac available. Likewise I have never seen anyone asking if it is possible to bypass the SMPS in the Blu2.

8. koven Contributor
    Fair point. :)

9. AndrewH13
    My initial experiments a few years back between different DAPs connected via 2 inch coax cable to Hugo 1 and then TT1, were a slight perceptible difference. Since then I’ve collected more DAPs, connected via USB, Coax and Optical, and any differences were not clearly one better than the other. Connected to my Tag McClaren hifi however, coax sounded more precise than Optical, but that may be due to the Tag inputs.

Have you any native DSD512 music? I have unconverted via PC, for testing on my special edition iBasso DX200Ti DAP. The standard iBasso DX200 is one of a very few DAPs available capable of DSD512 playback, and there is a dedicated thread here on Head-Fi of DSD512 playback. Only 1 minute at a time with demo software! It sounds different, more holographic, but is it better? Possibly, as the DAP is working less on playback. But file sizes are enormous, and that is where Streamers score over DAPs, which usually have max 128 or 256GB internal memory and MicroSD cards that have only just reached 1TB.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  10. analogmusic
    Man walks into harrods.
    Buys a state of the art machine that can turn a red Book cd format recording into hi res

But goes back to harrods and wants another machine that that play hi res recordings into the same machine

Harrods staff are confused.
    Offer the man their wonderful cup of coffee

He drinks it but goes off to Richer sounds to buy a hi res DAP.

Richer sounds ask him if he really wants to use this into the Mscaler

He says yes

They are confused but still sell the man something he doesn’t Really need.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    musickid and supervisor like this.
  11. junkjunk
    you should check Auralic Aries Mini - it's not a DAP but with an internal storage it could serve your needs. it is small to carry with you on your travels and plays all your required formats

12. tunes
    Why are there DX buttons and color changes with volume control. It’s seems strange to have a product with functions that are not implemented for the user.

13. ZappaMan
    id like to understand where this man walked into harrods thing comes from.... quite enjoying it ... i can see its application elsewhere

14. ZappaMan
    to be fair, doesn't the main in harrods have hi res music and an mscaler, but still says he prefers to feed his mscaler hi res ?

15. Amberlamps
    Asus Xonar sound cards do 192khz over it’s optical/3.5mm out port.

Boogie7910 likes this.
First

Back
378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387
389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398
Next

Last