Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #497 of 18,483
some posteriors are better than others.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #498 of 18,483
Uh, now I know why my previous post had the responses it did. Apparently there is no such thing as a uncompressed FLAC! :confounded:

So that means I should't trust anything this Prima Luna dealer says...

Frankly, I just don't believe or hear a difference. When does the persuit of perfection become anal?

Placebo is a powerful thing.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #500 of 18,483
I believe @Triode User refers to the scenario where Blu2 is used at 0.5Million taps instead of 1M. Many, including Rob Watts, have found that the step from 0.5M to 1M taps is where the M-Scaler magic really happens.

Mojo users are limited to 0.5M by design, while Hugo2 / Qutest users can achieve 1M taps with 2xBNC cables and a cheap adapter. TT2 and DAVE owners can use the dual BNC connectors straight away with 2x BNC cables to enjoy 1M taps.

Hope this helps!

edit: as @dawktah2 pointed out (thanks!) the Qutest has dual BNC, so the adapter is only needed for the Hugo2

Thanks for the clarification. If there is no significant change in SQ then it’s an expensive toy. 1 M taps is the whole point of this add on. I want to use it for both H2 and DAVE. Where can I buy the adapter for H2? Does the M-scaler come with the dual BNC connectors? Will the quality of those connectors make any difference in noise or SQ? Ferrites needed?? Does the M-scaler need a clean AC source like DAVE? Some have recommended expensive AC power cables for DAVE to sound it’s best.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #501 of 18,483
I want to use it for both H2 and DAVE. Where can I buy the adapter for H2? Does the M-scaler come with the dual BNC connectors? Will the quality of those connectors make any difference in noise or SQ? Ferrites needed?? Does the M-scaler need a clean AC source like DAVE? Some have recommended expensive AC power cables for DAVE to sound it’s best.

For H2 adapter, some use a stereo 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter (like you would use for headphone jack), combined with 2 RCA to female BNC adapters.

For a more integrated solution, I just did a quick google search and this 3.5mm to dual BNC came out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-ster...e-Camera-Monitor-1M-RG174-Cable-/321751939655
Perhaps you can find something more audiophile-looking :)

According to Rob Watts, the HMS (Hugo M Scaler) has been improved in terms of RF isolation through BNC, and it should not require ferrites.

As for the AC source, the HMS comes with its SMPS, which Rob Watts states it was accurately optimized and does not require linear power supply to perform at its best.

Others have commented that a high quality LPS should be beneficial in order to avoid pollution from the HMS SMPS back to other components plugged to the same AC outlet or distributor.

To really know more about all this I am afraid we need to wait until the product is released and some reviews and user's feedback will start popping out :frowning2:

As for the DAVE AC power cable, there are (as usual with power cables) much diverse opinions among enthusiasts … all I can say is that when I upgraded my DAVE PC from a "good" (Ricable High-End) to a "great" (Audioquest NRG-1000) PC I found it was beneficial, in terms of more solid imaging, deeper blacks and a slighter warmer / smoother presentation. But this is highly system dependent and YMMV as usual. Also, with these gear tweaks, the risk of self-conditioning is very high :)

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #502 of 18,483
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #503 of 18,483
Doh! My research was actually too quick and hence misleading ... Thanks for pointing that out

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #504 of 18,483
Appreciate this has been mentioned previously on this forum, but not sure any real conclusions were reached. Before the release of the M Scaler was announced I had my eyes firmly set on a DAVE. I am now in a position to purchase a DAVE but thinking should I opt for an M Scaler TT2 combo instead. Or even perhaps just the M Scaler with my current qutest and save up for DAVE later. Normally the answer would be to simply home demo the kit then decide, but I, like many, are in the situation where it will be likely quite some time before my local store has any demo units available and I am quite impatient! I guess what I am really driving at here is do we think that having the M Scaler in the chain will reduce the perceived SQ differences between the different DACS you may have after it. (as the M Scaler seems to be doing some of the heavy lifting that the DAC would have done) and if that is the case is it really worth opting for a DAVE? Also concerned that my current system may not be good enough to perhaps do a M Scaler DAVE combo justice. (Auralic Aries - Qutest - Chord 2650 - B&W 804D3s)

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #505 of 18,483
Appreciate this has been mentioned previously on this forum, but not sure any real conclusions were reached. Before the release of the M Scaler was announced I had my eyes firmly set on a DAVE. I am now in a position to purchase a DAVE but thinking should I opt for an M Scaler TT2 combo instead. Or even perhaps just the M Scaler with my current qutest and save up for DAVE later. Normally the answer would be to simply home demo the kit then decide, but I, like many, are in the situation where it will be likely quite some time before my local store has any demo units available and I am quite impatient! I guess what I am really driving at here is do we think that having the M Scaler in the chain will reduce the perceived SQ differences between the different DACS you may have after it. (as the M Scaler seems to be doing some of the heavy lifting that the DAC would have done) and if that is the case is it really worth opting for a DAVE? Also concerned that my current system may not be good enough to perhaps do a M Scaler DAVE combo justice. (Auralic Aries - Qutest - Chord 2650 - B&W 804D3s)

I'm in a similar position. Upgrade my TT to a DAVE now, and perhaps add an MScaler later, or just wait for a TT2 and an MScaler. I love the aesthetics of both the DAVE and the TT2 and the MScaler. As it would all sit on my office desk, I'm not sure I want to mix the aesthetics of a DAVE and MScaler.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #506 of 18,483
I'm in a similar position. Upgrade my TT to a DAVE now, and perhaps add an MScaler later, or just wait for a TT2 and an MScaler. I love the aesthetics of both the DAVE and the TT2 and the MScaler. As it would all sit on my office desk, I'm not sure I want to mix the aesthetics of a DAVE and MScaler.

Unfortunately for myself, from an aesthetic perspective it would be hard to find three more 'un matched' products that what I have, so I guess that ship has sailed for me! Just looking at technical spec. if feels like the M Scaler TT2 combo should probably give you the most 'bang for your buck' as it were. Plus it will look good!!

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #507 of 18,483
Well from my experience adding music server, improved TT quite a lot. To the point do I need to upgrade period. So mscaler is what I’d consider first, plug it in to whatever you got already and see how you like it. Then consider the dac later but considering folks are thinking about throwing Dave monies around, maybe prudence isn’t prudent.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #508 of 18,483
John darko says if he had 10k, he’d spend 7 on zenith se and the rest on a dac.

So must be something in this quality source thing - tho I could be happy to settle with optical but would like to try it to see how much better it was - if any.

I can’t see John spoofing

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #509 of 18,483
Dealer where I did audition was suggesting that there is a potential difference between FLAC compressed vs. uncompressed. Basically he said jitter can be introduced when compressed file is unfolded. I was just under the impression if it was ripped without errors you were fine.
Out of curiosity I just compared Wave and Flac files in a serious test. Source material were Radiohead's «OK Computer Oknotok» and John Adams' violin concerto «Shererazade.2». I did my best. Result: Wave and Flac sounded exactly the same to my ears with my setup (computer/foobar2000–toslink–DAVE–Lavricables Grand–HiFIMan HE1000 with V2 pads).

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #510 of 18,483
John darko says if he had 10k, he’d spend 7 on zenith se and the rest on a dac.

So must be something in this quality source thing - tho I could be happy to settle with optical but would like to try it to see how much better it was - if any.

I can’t see John spoofing
Maybe not. But, his main focus seems to be geared toward sourcing and streaming and modern forms of beat-heavy, no-doubt compressed music. If you have read his recent 'Letters to the Editor' post, he states something to that, when answering a letter on why he hasn't reviewed a certain DAC etc. My reading tells me he's more into self-contained powered speakers and source streaming and all-in-ones than the DAC in the middle. So that doesn't surprise me.
And @Triode User seems happy with his Innuous streamer, so maybe he can comment when he has time.
As for myself, I'd probably spend more on my DAC and HPs, and try to make the most out of the computer source I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back