Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,141 of 18,496
This is what i don't understand. When you say you can hear all 4 modes on coax 2 surely its a contradiction as full OPSR white can only trigger a light blue input colour and never red for coax 2 on H2? Also i pm'ed Rob before a while back and he was 100% adamant that it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which side ie L or R of the rca adaptor. There must be something else going on here. I don't doubt your observations at all.

Try it yourself.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,143 of 18,496
Hi there i can fully accept all that you say Amber and the switching round of the cables everything. The one point i feel you are wrong on this is you say,

"On hugo 2, the blue ball for dualdata mode is light up and the window on hugo 2 is a bluey/purple colour." but "whilst 1 million taps is all on it’s own on coax 2".

There is no other condition whereby the full 1M taps are utilised. When you listen with full white OPSR HMS into H2 if you see coax 2 red you are getting the SR upscaled but not 1M taps which can only be achieved with light blue on H2. i'm sick of this now so i'm sure Rob will kindly correct any of us who wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #4,145 of 18,496
Hi there i can fully accept all that you say Amber and the switching round of the cables everything. The one point i feel you are wrong on this is you say,

"On hugo 2, the blue ball for dualdata mode is light up and the window on hugo 2 is a bluey/purple colour." but "whilst 1 million taps is all on it’s own on coax 2".

There is no other condition whereby the full 1M taps are utilised. When you listen with full white OPSR HMS into H2 if you see coax 2 red you are getting 705khz upscaled but not 1M taps which can only be achieved with light blue on H2. i'm sick of this now so i'm sure Rob will kindly correct any of us who wrong.

2 cables = 705 or 768 (don't care what the digital setting is telling you)
1 cable = Max. 352.8

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #4,147 of 18,496
My living room setup is 3m. The near field magic is at ~1m (say, if you're sitting at a desk). At 3m, you need to pay attention to room placement, but the holographic sound stage when driven direct is mind blowing. From the experiences of people that have been over to the house, I've found that those of us with brains tuned to the Chord magic, these Omegas (and high efficiency single driver speakers) are like heroin: ultimate point source, ultimate transparency when driven direct.

I'm enough of a junkie now that I made the jump to the 104dB sensitivity Voxativ drivers, but what Louis has with the Omegas is amazing. For those that are atuned to the timing detail and transparency of the Chord stack, I think the combination of Omega SAMs with mTT2 or mDAVE or mHugo2 is a world class music listening experience at an amazing low cost point.

Well worth a demo (Louis has very easy home demo terms, and is an absolute delight of a person to work with)
Thank you for your reply mate, learn something new every day

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,148 of 18,496

There is no other condition whereby the full 1M taps are utilised. When you listen with full white OPSR HMS into H2 if you see coax 2 red you are getting the SR upscaled but not 1M taps which can only be achieved with light blue on H2. i'm sick of this now so i'm sure Rob will kindly correct any of us who wrong.

My ball always remains light blue, the one next to the filter button on hugo 2.

It never goes red, even when playing music. I need to change to passthrough before it will turn red.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #4,149 of 18,496
That's what i've been trying to say and confirm for the last half hour. Dual coax indicator is light blue. What's all this switching cables coax 1 and 2 stuff then and 1M taps is all on its own with coax 2?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,150 of 18,496
*** mk, we’ve been telling you the light is always blue.

The 2 bnc cables, depending on the order that you plug them in to the 3.5mm adapter. You can either have all 4 op sr modes, upscaling, passthrough, 96khz, 192khz audible on coax 2 on hugo.

Or if you switch the cables around on the 3.5mm adapter, upscaling is on it’s own on coax 2, whist passthrough, 96khz and 192khz are on coax 1.

You then need to physically switch over to coax 1 to hear the other modes. If you just switch the cables around on the adapter, you can have everything on coax 2 and not need to switch over to coax 1 on hugo for passthrough, 96khz and 192khz op sr modes.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #4,151 of 18,496
*** mk, we’ve been telling you the light is always blue.

The 2 bnc cables, depending on order that you plug them in to the 3.5mm adapter. You can either have all 4 op sr modes, upscaling, passthrough, 96khz, 192khz audible on coax 2 on hugo.

Or if you switch the cables around on the 3.5mm adapter, upscaling is on it’s own on coax 2, whist passthrough, 96khz and 192khz are on coax 1.
I think there’s possibility that direct bnc connections is as rob says, but the audioquest adapter may play a part in needing to switch coax port when toggling passthrough.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4,153 of 18,496
I think there’s possibility that direct bnc connections is as rob says, but the audioquest adapter may play a part in needing to switch coax port when toggling passthrough.

Yes, I had thought of that, but I have no way of testing whether thats correct or not. But since the AQ adapter was the one that was touted on here as being the one to get, lots of mscaler owners will probably have one of them.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #4,154 of 18,496
When you say coax 1 and coax 2 do you mean red and yellow coax respective indicators? this is what i don't get coax 1 and coax 2 in this context could someone explain please?

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #4,155 of 18,496

Apart from that I get the same thing with Dave.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back