Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #4,156 of 18,518
When you say coax 1 and coax 2 do you mean red and yellow coax respective indicators? this is what i don't get coax 1 and coax 2 in this context could someone explain please?

On hugo 2, when pushing the coax 1 or coax 2 buttons on the remote, the ball stays light blue = dual date mode.

The other modes as far as I’m aware are single data thus, depending on how the bnc cables are plugged into the 3.5mm adapter, depends on if you have to switch between coax 1 and 2 to hear passthrough and the other two modes,

I did ask rob about this sitiation a while back and he said.

“Yes it doesn't matter in dual data mode, but it does matter in pass thru mode as its single data and you need to select the correct BNC.”

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #4,157 of 18,518
When you say coax 1 and coax 2 do you mean red and yellow coax respective indicators? this is what i don't get coax 1 and coax 2 in this context could someone explain please?
Coax 1 and 2 are input selections on hugo2, but they share 1 physical port which is odd.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #4,158 of 18,518
I'VE GOT IT: with coax 2 on H2 i get nothing when switching from passthru to green to blue with HMS and only get light blue on H2 with white OPSR from HMS.

With coax 1 on H2 i get red sample rate on H2 for passthru HMS, yellow sample rate H2 for green HMS, turqouise sample rate H2 for blue HMS and light blue H2 for white OPSR HMS.

The audioquest adaptor is not affecting this as it should make no difference BNC L or R as i originally posted. That's sure for dual data. Single data maybe different as we've seen. There must always be either coax 1 or coax 2 on H2 which is redundant with single data output from HMS as only one cable is utilised. Which would explain my results above. Again R or L bnc to rca should not really matter as for single data one cable is used and the data will get thru anyway irrespective of which coax port acts as entry on H2 or which bnc cable is connected to which side of the adaptor?? my thoughts. with dual data then the light blue indicator is locked on H2 indicating both cables are now transmitting data into the H2's coax port. The cable that was initially redundant now springs to life. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,159 of 18,518
I'VE GOT IT: with coax 2 on H2 i get nothing when switching from passthru to green to blue with HMS and only get light blue on H2 with white OPSR from HMS.

With coax 1 on H2 i get red sample rate on H2 for passthru HMS, yellow sample rate H2 for green HMS, turqoise sample rate H2 for blue HMS and light blue H2 for white OPSR HMS.

The audioquest adaptor must be affecting this as it should make no difference BNC L or R as i originally posted. That's sure for dual data. Single data maybe different as we've seen.

Yes you have got it, the other 3 modes, passthrough, 96khz and 192khz are on the different coax port, if you are using an audio quest 3.5mm adapter, switch your bnc cables about on the adapter, and you can have all modes on a single coax port. In my case coax 2.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #4,160 of 18,518
It makes no difference then as any adaptor would give the same results not just audioquest. Switching from one coax port to another to get your data through is just an irritation but makes zero difference to the SQ. Read my post above i've explained what i think is happening. cheers Amber.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #4,161 of 18,518
It makes no difference then as any adaptor would give the same results not just audioquest. Switching from one coax port to another to get your data through is just an irritation but makes zero difference to the SQ. Read my post above i've explained what i think is happening. cheers Amber.

Yes, I didn’t think is was caused by the adapter, but I don’t have another one to rule that out. But Rob did answer the question when I first got my mscaler and became aware of the situation when I unplugged my mscaler to move it to another position.

I plugged everything back in and schiit myself, as I thought I broke something. Rob eased my fears and said that it was just caused by the other modes being single data streams.

Dualdata streams work on both coax ports at the same time, so coax ports don’t really mean anything when in dualdata mode, but single data streams like passthrough mode and the other 2 modes, they will only ever use one 1 stream.

In the end, all it does is get rid of that small irritation you mention, thats it, no sq changes, it just makes things 1 button push easier.

Good to hear that you have figured it out.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #4,163 of 18,518
You lot got there. I was watching a movie on the telly.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #4,166 of 18,518
But the conundrum is.

Was sid james in it ?

No movie is complete without sid james laughter or benny hill music.

It was ‘Arrival’.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #4,167 of 18,518
Arrival, I seen it when it was on the intcinema, who knows, maybe one day something like that will happen ? I’m a believer, watch Unacknowleged on youtube or netflix, it will blow your mind.

Benny hill music makes everything funny

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,168 of 18,518
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #4,169 of 18,518
One of the best nerd sci-fi, in my top 5

Sorry, for off topic
an epic pulsating score - seeing it an the cinema - the score dominated the film - must be amazing on great speakers.

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #4,170 of 18,518
an epic pulsating score - seeing it an the cinema - the score dominated the film - must be amazing on great speakers.

Funny you should say that, I have to listen to Heptapod B once a week!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back