Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,126 of 18,495
This is what i don't understand. When you say you can hear all 4 modes on coax 2 surely its a contradiction as full OPSR white can only trigger a light blue input colour and never red for coax 2 on H2? Also i pm'ed Rob before a while back and he was 100% adamant that it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which side ie L or R of the rca adaptor. There must be something else going on here. I don't doubt your observations at all.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #4,127 of 18,495
I get the same thing with Dave. Full MScaling works whichever way the cables are connected but pass through and anything else only works with the Dual BNC one particular way around.

Musickid, have you tried yourself?

Yeah, thats 4 of us so far who have confirmed this, yourself, zappa, some dude who I forgot the name of last week and lastly myself.

Depending on how the bnc cables are plugged into the 3.5m adapter, depends on whether I need to switch on over to coax 1 or have everything on coax 2.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #4,128 of 18,495
“Monitors”? Since you have a sub, perhaps a pair of these, which could be driven well from TT2 directly and avoid both crossovers and amplifiers:
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ucts/super-alnico-monitor?variant=32172390412

@ray-dude has had success with these and I just ordered a pair for a near-field home office system...to be complete when TT2 arrives.

I adore my Omega SAMs. Literally life changing when I heard them with the Chord kit (per my reviews below). If helpful, I've since opened the big boy wallet and upgraded to the Voxativ line (9.87's with the 4D drivers). 20x the price of the Omegas, but the value/quality ratio of the Omegas is amongst the best I've ever heard (right up there with Mojo)

I have been using my Omegas as my surround speakers, but I recently purchased some used Voxativ Zeth's that I'll be slotting in there. Alas, I work in an open cube environment now, so my plan to move the Omegas to my work office have been foiled. I'll be very reluctantly posting my Omegas soon :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,129 of 18,495
D98A9038-3FE5-474C-AB39-6ED6FE396470.png
I’ve just had a look at the link but it doesn’t seem to indicate the +/- dB for the frequency response. Am I missing this somewhere on the spec?

Says 40 to 20?

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #4,130 of 18,495
This is what i don't understand. When you say you can hear all 4 modes on coax 2 surely its a contradiction as full OPSR white can only trigger a light blue input colour and never red for coax 2 on H2? Also i pm'ed Rob before a while back and he was 100% adamant that it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which side ie L or R of the rca adaptor. There must be something else going on here. I don't doubt your observations at all.
You can pull out one bnc cable - source light goes red - but hugo still receiving 705 stream....

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,131 of 18,495
So there is a differing opinion but that's ok. As far as i understand with hugo2 it makes no difference which bnc cable goes where ie whether it's the L or R adaptor. Rob confirmed this by pm to me before and you can see from his quotes above. With dave it does matter bnc 1 has to go into the corresponding connector as for bnc 2 or 3 or 4. Could Rob kindly clear this up many thanks?

Zappa yes but never the full 1M taps which you can only get with light blue dual coax. It might indicate 705khz with one bnc cable in on coax two red but the sample rate increase which the HMS does is one thing and the addition of 1M taps into the WTA1 of the attched chord dac is another thing which can only happen with light blue coax on H2 locked and 2 bnc cables attached. 705 on one cable is impossible as that needs dual cables.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,132 of 18,495
I’ve just had a look at the link but it doesn’t seem to indicate the +/- dB for the frequency response. Am I missing this somewhere on the spec?

When I've done frequency sweeps, the SAMs get comfortably down to 40Hz or so, then start to tail off. I don't find the bass lacking, but a musical sub really nicely fills out the low end (I have a F112v2 that I used with the Omegas).

To @ZappaMan question, if you're running near field, it is a magical experience. Placement is very flexible, but the soundstage (with Chord kit) is absolutely holographic (VR-levels). The ultimate point source and transparency.

In far field, I found the bass extension to benefit from being 1-2' off the wall, but otherwise placement was flexible. If you are augmenting with a musical sub, you'll have more flexibility still.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #4,133 of 18,495

Ok, I shall explain, we are focusing on coax 2.

Mscaler is showing two white balls, one for USB mode and the other is OP SR for 1 million taps. Two white balls.

On hugo 2, the blue ball for dualdata mode is light up and the window on hugo 2 is a bluey/purple colour. No music is playing.

Now, if I was to start playing music, I can hear it on coax 2, if I were to push the op sr button on the remote, depending on which way the bnc cables are plugged into the audioquest 3.5m adapter, it could either mean that I can hear 1million taps, passthrough, 96khz and 192khz all on coax 2.

Or

If the cables are switched around on the adapter, it will only allow me/us to hear 1 million taps on coax 2, if we were to push the op sr button, the other modes, passthrough, 96khz and 192khz, would all be silent on coax 2.

We have to physically push the coax 1 button on hugo’s remote to hear them, whilst 1 million taps is all on it’s own on coax 2.

Hence, depending on which way the bnc cables are plugged into the 3.5m adapter, depends on whether we can hear all mode on coax 2, or whether we need to switch on over to coax 1 for the other 3.

Surely it’s not a contradiction. Also, where did you get the colour red from ? The only time red comes into the equation is on the DX ball, which shows sample rate, and also if you select passthrough, which is red, and which will turn hugo’s window to the colour of whatever the sample rate the file that is playing is.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #4,135 of 18,495
I adore my Omega SAMs. Literally life changing when I heard them with the Chord kit (per my reviews below). If helpful, I've since opened the big boy wallet and upgraded to the Voxativ line (9.87's with the 4D drivers). 20x the price of the Omegas, but the value/quality ratio of the Omegas is amongst the best I've ever heard (right up there with Mojo)

I have been using my Omegas as my surround speakers, but I recently purchased some used Voxativ Zeth's that I'll be slotting in there. Alas, I work in an open cube environment now, so my plan to move the Omegas to my work office have been foiled. I'll be very reluctantly posting my Omegas soon :frowning2:
The driver looks so old but I've been reading some reviews and they rave about them, I would be sitting 3 metres away from the speakers

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4,136 of 18,495
Do you guys prefer PCM or DSD w/ the HMS?

• Dither Switch: This switch should be off unless you’re using a non-Chord DAC. When switched on, it’ll only use half the taps. One can use it as a built-in switch to help with the delay when playing video. With it on, there is less audio processing so audio delays with video are not as pronounced.
  • DSD/SACD: It converts native DSD (64 to 512) or handles DoP (64 to 256) and converts it to PCM with a 200 dB plus filter that eliminates all out of band distortion and noise from DSD. This supposedly sounds better than the DSD+ mode with DAVE. Filtering at this level is vital for a number of different reasons.

Don't think the Mscaler has the dither switch but it should work the same as the blu2

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #4,138 of 18,495
The driver looks so old but I've been reading some reviews and they rave about them, I would be sitting 3 metres away from the speakers

My living room setup is 3m. The near field magic is at ~1m (say, if you're sitting at a desk). At 3m, you need to pay attention to room placement, but the holographic sound stage when driven direct is mind blowing. From the experiences of people that have been over to the house, I've found that those of us with brains tuned to the Chord magic, these Omegas (and high efficiency single driver speakers) are like heroin: ultimate point source, ultimate transparency when driven direct.

I'm enough of a junkie now that I made the jump to the 104dB sensitivity Voxativ drivers, but what Louis has with the Omegas is amazing. For those that are atuned to the timing detail and transparency of the Chord stack, I think the combination of Omega SAMs with mTT2 or mDAVE or mHugo2 is a world class music listening experience at an amazing low cost point.

Well worth a demo (Louis has very easy home demo terms, and is an absolute delight of a person to work with)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back