Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,112 of 18,416
I won't be trading my M scaler for the Pmc speakers no matter what, you have to get the electronics right first then speakers last, not sure which model but I'm looking at the speaker on a stand not the floor stander, let my Rel do all the bass.
Lol speaker on a stand don't know what you call it. Just looking at the M scaler on my rack it looks amazing, gutted I can't use it, got it powered up though

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #4,113 of 18,416
Hs anyone compared SQ HMS portable battery vs stock mains power?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,114 of 18,416
I won't be trading my M scaler for the Pmc speakers no matter what, you have to get the electronics right first then speakers last, not sure which model but I'm looking at the speaker on a stand not the floor stander, let my Rel do all the bass.
Lol speaker on a stand don't know what you call it. Just looking at the M scaler on my rack it looks amazing, gutted I can't use it, got it powered up though

OK now i'm completely confused by your post just yesterday?.

"Mikey I was thinking of trading in m scaler for a pair even though I've only just got it, not heard it yet, I just love the hugo TT 2 that much I don't know how up scaling can be better than a pair of quality speakers"

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #4,115 of 18,416
OK now i'm completely confused by your post just yesterday?.

"Mikey I was thinking of trading in m scaler for a pair even though I've only just got it, not heard it yet, I just love the hugo TT 2 that much I don't know how up scaling can be better than a pair of quality speakers"
Because I can change my mind, I'm thinking out aloud.
Like I said not heard it so until I get my hugo TT 2 it would be madness to make any rash decisions.
What hi-fi said music sounds broken without the M scaler and I respect alDavey think his views are spot on

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,116 of 18,416
Also for H2/HMS owners could you test or see if you get sound with HMS/H2 when coax 2 (red) is selected on H2. I get no sound or sample rate indication on H2. I have no reason to use coax 2 red but just want to double check.

For Amberlamps Rob already stated it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which rca adaptor (left or right) with H2. This is because H2 automatically flags left/right data unlike dave as an example where it does matter which bnc cable goes where. cheers mk

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,117 of 18,416
Also for H2/HMS owners could you test or see if you get sound with HMS/H2 when coax 2 (red) is selected on H2. I get no sound or sample rate indication on H2. I have no reason to use coax 2 red but just want to double check.

For Amberlamps Rob already stated it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which rca adaptor (left or right) with H2. This is because H2 automatically flags left/right data unlike dave as an example where it does matter which bnc cable goes where.
Your issue could be your bnc are connected to the wrong port on the adapter.
There seems to be a relationship between coax port and which connection each of the bnc leads connect too.
I switched mine up as per phuca message and I no longer need to toggle coax when cycling sr op.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,118 of 18,416
Because I can change my mind, I'm thinking out aloud.
Like I said not heard it so until I get my hugo TT 2 it would be madness to make any rash decisions

A wise change of mind!

I've lived with the TT2 & M-Scaler for 6-weeks now so it's now the norm and the combination is wonderful. Music just sounds "right" if that makes sense.

As an experiment I removed the M-Scaler today rather than use the pass-through, and it was instantly wrong. Now that's no criticism of the TT2 but a compliment to what the M-Scaler does. If I'd not heard the M-Scaler i'd be very happy with the TT2, but once heard there is no going back.

I'm just listening to Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" and it's stunning. I'm listening to the music not the HiFi!

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #4,119 of 18,416

For Amberlamps Rob already stated it makes no difference which bnc cable is plugged into which rca adaptor (left or right) with H2. This is because H2 automatically flags left/right data unlike dave as an example where it does matter which bnc cable goes where. cheers mk

Well, using coax 2, one way I plug my bnc cables into the adapter, I get just dualdata aka full upscaling, when I push the op sr button, for passthrough, or the other two modes, all I get is silence. I have to physically select coax 1 to hear them.

Switch the cables around on the adapter, and I can hear all modes on coax 2, no need to switch over to coax 1.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #4,120 of 18,416

“Monitors”? Since you have a sub, perhaps a pair of these, which could be driven well from TT2 directly and avoid both crossovers and amplifiers:
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ucts/super-alnico-monitor?variant=32172390412

@ray-dude has had success with these and I just ordered a pair for a near-field home office system...to be complete when TT2 arrives.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #4,121 of 18,416
Rob has already made it crystal clear that the left/right rca adaptor bnc cable thing is a non issue zappa. look at this. Quoting Rob: (hope that's ok Rob!!)

"Indeed; left and right is tip (L) ring (R) and sleeve is ground. Actually, it does not matter which BNC you connect to, as Hugo 2 reads the in-bedded left and right status data from Blu 2 (not so with Dave) so left and right will always be correct".

"For Hugo 2 and Qutest, in dual data mode, the DAC reads the embedded left right dual data flag from Blu2's M scaler, and automatically switches to the correct channel."

Amberlamps you can never get full OPSR on coax 2 (red) you can only get full 705khz 1M taps with the light blue dual coax indicator on H2 never with coax 2 (red). When you press coax 1 or 2 it automatically switches to the light blue indicator which is dual coax on H2. Once in full white OPSR on HMS the light blue indicator is locked on H2. And you get purple SR indicator on H2 705khz or 768khz dependent on incoming SR.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #4,122 of 18,416
Rob has already made it crystal clear that the left/right rca adaptor bnc cable thing is a non issue zappa. look at this. Quoting Rob: (hope that's ok Rob!!)

"Indeed; left and right is tip (L) ring (R) and sleeve is ground. Actually, it does not matter which BNC you connect to, as Hugo 2 reads the in-bedded left and right status data from Blu 2 (not so with Dave) so left and right will always be correct".

"For Hugo 2 and Qutest, in dual data mode, the DAC reads the embedded left right dual data flag from Blu2's M scaler, and automatically switches to the correct channel."

Amberlamps you can never get full OPSR on coax 2 you can only get full 705khz 1M taps with light blue dual coax indicator on H2 never with coax 2. When you press coax 1 or 2 it automatically switched to light blue dual coax on H2. Once in full White OPSR light blue indicator is locked on H2.

Dude, hugo 2 is in dualdata mode, the blue light, and dependeing on which way the cables are plugged in to the 3.5mm adapter, it either allows me to hear ALL modes using coax 2 only, or I have to switch on over to coax 1 for the other 3 modes.

I’m telling you what happens on my hugo and mscaler, whether you want to believe it or not. Rob maybe said it’s not an issue, but thats 2 (3 as someone else said it the other day now 4 via triode ) folk who can confirm having to physically switch over to coax 1, depending on how the bnc cables are plugged into the 3.5mm adapter, and we can hear all 4 modes on coax 2.

Switch the cables around and we have to phsyically switch over to coax 1 to hear them.

Using stock bnc cables and audioquest 3.5mm adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #4,123 of 18,416
“Monitors”? Since you have a sub, perhaps a pair of these, which could be driven well from TT2 directly and avoid both crossovers and amplifiers:
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...ucts/super-alnico-monitor?variant=32172390412

@ray-dude has had success with these and I just ordered a pair for a near-field home office system...to be complete when TT2 arrives.
I would also like these speakers, not sure if they need proper room placement or need to kept away from the wall. My listening room is tiny, so be cool to find transparent efficient monitors that could be placed against a wall or on a desk even.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #4,124 of 18,416
Dude, hugo 2 is in dualdata mode, the blue light, and dependeing on which way the cables are plugged in to the 3.5mm adapter, it either allows me to hear ALL modes using coax 2 only, or I have to switch on over to coax 1 for the other 3 modes.

I’m telling you what happens on my hugo and mscaler, whether you want to believe it or not. Rob maybe said it’s not an issue, but thats 2 folk who can confirm having to physically switch over to coax 1, depending on how the bnc cables are plugged into the 3.5mm adapter, and we can hear all 4 modes on coax 2.

I get the same thing with Dave. Full MScaling works whichever way the cables are connected but pass through and anything else only works with the Dual BNC one particular way around.

Musickid, have you tried yourself?

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,125 of 18,416
I would also like these speakers, not sure if they need proper room placement or need to kept away from the wall. My listening room is tiny, so be cool to find transparent efficient monitors that could be placed against a wall or on a desk even.

I’ve just had a look at the link but it doesn’t seem to indicate the +/- dB for the frequency response. Am I missing this somewhere on the spec?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back