Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,191 of 18,448
Thank you for trying to help me! The BNC cable is between M Scaler and Dave. Maybe it´s the JSSG grounding which is the problem. Another member in this forum has reported that the Blaxius 1 without JSSG worked well with the Dave.
BTW the Lush^2 USB with JSSG worked perfectly with the Dave (before I got the M Scaler) and still does between tx-USBultra and M Scaler.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #2,192 of 18,448
Thank you for trying to help me! The BNC cable is between M Scaler and Dave. Maybe it´s the JSSG grounding which is the problem. Another member in this forum has reported that the Blaxius 1 without JSSG worked well with the Dave.
BTW the Lush^2 USB with JSSG worked perfectly with the Dave (before I got the M Scaler) and still does between tx-USBultra and M Scaler.

Sorry if you have already said this but if you set the mscaler to pass through is there still a problem?

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,193 of 18,448
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,195 of 18,448
Not really. When you’re spending $5000 + on something you expect it to be well tested and not glitch out.
We don't even know yet what the problem is actually. Maybe it's just a defect cable, a problem with the source, with the usb driver, with.... I mean let's save the condemnation of a whole product for later when we actually get to know the source of that problem.

Another thing is that I believe that we actually have revolutionary products coming from Chord.
And the more technical advanced a product becomes that does not use common transmission techniques like the m scaler the amount of possible user errors become bigger.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,196 of 18,448
Lower data rate == easier to decode despite noise in transmission...

I understand. But in which way does this affect the Blaxius^2 cable, but not the stock cable?

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,197 of 18,448
Not really. When you’re spending $5000 + on something you expect it to be well tested and not glitch out.

I may have missed something but I thought the problem he is having is that is is trying some unconventional cables and he is having problems with those or at least they are in the equation. I do not think it is a HMS or a Dave problem as such. It might just be something simple.

see
So sad ... when I play HiRes files using the Blaxius^2 BNC cable I just get crackling noise and the display of the DAVE starts to flicker. How is this possible when the M Scaler is upsampling to 705 kHz anyway? I have no problem with 44 kHz files.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,198 of 18,448
I understand. But in which way does this affect the Blaxius^2 cable, but not the stock cable?

Are you sure there isn't a simple connectivity problem in one of the cables which causes the issue at hi res transmission? If you try replacing one of the pair with a stock cable and then swopping can you see if the problem relates to one cable or whether it is an issue with both? You see what I mean, simple fault tracing stuff?

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,199 of 18,448
As I said. I have no problem playing 44 kHz files (upsampled to 705 kHz through the M Scaler). So - no connectivity problem. The Dave wouldn´t show 705 kHz if just one of the cables was working.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,200 of 18,448

Sorry, I misread the data. I was more suspecting the connection going into the HMS when a higher data rate is going over the cable into the HMS... but that would not explain why stock BNC fixes.....

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #2,201 of 18,448
As I said. I have no problem playing 44 kHz files (upsampled to 705 kHz through the M Scaler). So - no connectivity problem.

With optical cables there may be modal dispersion of the light pulses that reduces total bandwidth, so 44.1 kHz will be transmitted fine but higher resolution will not because there is not enough bandwidth. Usually this begins to affect the signal 16/96 and can be quite noticeable on 24/96 and higher signals. This is a common issue with optical cables that are poorly built, may be bent too much, the lens on the end may be dirty, or not fully connected in to the socket.

The first line of troubleshooting should be to try a different optical cable and see if the issue goes away.

Edit: If I understand correctly the issue is with using an optical input on the M scaler. Otherwise please ignore my post.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,202 of 18,448
I think I am starting to understand. Sorry if I’m slow. So the issue comes if you feed the MScaler higher than 44.1 so that it outputs 768k, yes? And the same higher input and output works fine with the MScaler and Dave with the stock bnc dual cables? If so it certainly seems seems like your new cables might have an issue. Has the maker tested them on an MScaler and Dave at 768k do you know? that might help.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,203 of 18,448
I think I am starting to understand. Sorry if I’m slow. So the issue comes if you feed the MScaler higher than 44.1 so that it outputs 768k, yes?
Yes !
x RELIC x - it´s a BNC cable I am talking about.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,204 of 18,448
Sorry, I did an edit and asked some more questions but you were too quick.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2,205 of 18,448
Yes !
x RELIC x - it´s a BNC cable I am talking about.

Yes, and I made the assumption that you were using the optical input. My apologies. It’s weird that swapping BNC cables is failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back