Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,221 of 18,292
Native DSD works fine with Roon and JRiver on the M scaler - the native DSD uses Dave code. You must set the SR OP setting to white on the Hugo M scaler, otherwise it will be silent as an OP, as native can't be TX as an SPDIF directly
Thanks for the reply. I just realized that I had a JCAT USB isolator in the chain. After removing that the M Scaler plays DSD with sound!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,222 of 18,292
do I see it correctly that you put the B side in the M Scaler ?
Thanks,
Peter

It´s the DAVE you see on the picture. The direction is right.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2,223 of 18,292
MSCALER REMOTE WINDOW REPLACEMENT

The DIY kit arrived today direct from Chord Electronics. Many thanks to Chord Electronics and to @Mojo ideas in particular for sorting this out quickly.

The purpose of this post is just to show that if you can use an allen key then it is a 5 or 10 minute fix.

The Box which arrives.
IMG_0005.jpg

What you get. A replacement lens and an allen key.
IMG_0006.jpg

Place the MScaler upside down on a cloth and take out the screws from the base using the allen key.
IMG_0007.jpg

Lift the base half of the MScaler away leaving the top upside down on a soft surface.
IMG_0010.jpg

In case you get confused about which is the new window glass, it is the one with the cut out in the back. Replace the glass, and put the MScaler back together. I suggest not being too enthusiastic with the tightness of the screws. Personally, I used the small lever part of the allen key to make sure I did not over tighten them.
IMG_0008.jpg

The new glass inserted in the upside down top.

IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,224 of 18,292
I believe these are the first online pictures showing the internal structure of the mscaler anywhere. My mscaler arrives on Monday after having been with my dealer having the new glass inserted. i did not have the confidence to attempt a home fix. Interesting to see the mscaler fpga itself is carefully enclosed and guarded from prying eyes or maybe due to rf shielding or intellectual rights i'm not sure. Solid construction non of this plastic rubbish.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #2,225 of 18,292
I believe these are the first online pictures showing the internal structure of the mscaler anywhere. My mscaler arrives on Monday after having been with my dealer having the new glass inserted. i did not have the confidence to attempt a home fix. Interesting to see the mscaler fpga itself is carefully enclosed and guarded from prying eyes or maybe due to rf shielding or intellectual rights i'm not sure. Solid construction non of this plastic rubbish.

Sheilding i would assume, wouldnt matter how many eyes see whats on the pcb, they aint getting Rob's code.

Now, when is the Mojo 2 coming... Must be CES next year? :thinking::wink:

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #2,226 of 18,292
MSCALER REMOTE WINDOW REPLACEMENT

The DIY kit arrived today direct from Chord Electronics. Many thanks to Chord Electronics and to @Mojo ideas in particular for sorting this out quickly.

The purpose of this post is just to show that if you can use an allen key then it is a 5 or 10 minute fix.

. . . . . and just a follow up to say that the remote works perfectly after the fix and doesn't even have to be pointed at the MScaler direct if the distance isn't ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,228 of 18,292
Want to share the answer from a person here on the forum that I rely on very much. He uses his HMS with a Paul Hynes SR7 and writes that the difference to stock PSU is "quiete large".
Because Paul Hynes is very busy just now we have to continue to discuss other options.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,229 of 18,292
Want to share the answer from a person here on the forum that I rely on very much. He uses his HMS with a Paul Hynes SR7 and writes that the difference to stock PSU is "quiete large".
Because Paul Hynes is very busy just now we have to continue to discuss other options.

It will be interesting to know what are the 'quite large' differences. Before now we have had large differences reported whichin the end turned out to be symptoms of worse performance.

I know the SR7 units have a faithful following so it will be interesting to know what they can do for the HMS.

Don't forget that because the HMS is only processing digital data, the only difference in sound that can result from using a different power supply will probably be due to differences in levels and type of RF and other noise introduced by the power supply. I have learned to beware any differences that seem to give rise to descriptions of more detail, a bigger sound stage or more life etc and I instead look for differences that can be described as darker with less brightness, less top end detail or harshness because these are the signs of less RF noise and that is what you are looking for to let the real detail of the music come to the fore.

Have you got any descriptions of what the SR7 brings to the party?

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,230 of 18,292
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,232 of 18,292
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,233 of 18,292
Yes it'll be fairly easy to compare, for those that are interested, a sensibly priced, well-specified cable such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BZVBZCH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A21UFYA1RBCEVP&psc=1

against the cable that is provided with HMS. I plan to do this, unless a better "well specified, easy to buy" cable comes along by the time I get to try HMS. Farnell has this cable which is better specified:

https://uk.farnell.com/amphenol-rf/...x-bnc-plug-bnc-plug-914mm/dp/2766814?st=4794r

but it comes from the US so it's more awkward. ("More stock available week commencing 08/04/19".)

It's going to be months before I get HMS at home to try...

I tried the second cable that you mentioned (095-850-186-036) with M Scaler / Dave. Imo, it sounds clearly brighter (=worse) than the stock BNC cable provided with HMS. In case that somebody is nevertheless interested in this cable, I am selling it for half the price + shipping within Europe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back