Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #17,371 of 18,516
IMO what you are describing in your post is absolut sound and not high fidelity. High fidelity is just like SQ more about preferens and to make all type of sound to sound convincing.
Hmm, are you really sure you are not thinking of Vodka? Sweden has a Vodka called "Absolut Vodka ."
Just joking, and no offence intended. But I was not expressing an opinion. You are and in Capital letters. "IMO"
I was merely defining the term HIGH FIDELITY and its orginal meaning thereby stating a fact not , an opinion.
Maybe you are thinking of your home HIFI system? Or were you thinking of the American Audio Magazine "The Absolute Sound"?

Cheers CC

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #17,372 of 18,516
Oh, but maybe I should have added, and I am aware of possibly "stirring the Hornet's nest" even more than I already have , but here it goes again:

I am VERY PICKY when it comes to music, both WHAT I listen to, and HOW I listen to it.

I basically only listen to music that I consider worthy of my FULL ATTENTION and NEVER use music as any form of "aural wallpaper". No background music to any other activity for me. I even pause the music playing if I need to get something from the kitchen.

Meanwhile has anybody here dared to lend Clara Ianotta's or Andrea Tarrodi's or Anna Thorwaldsdottir's music "an ear" yet ?
Better lend them "two ears" and your FULL ATTENTION and via a resolving chain , and Mscaled , because there are very subtle layer upon layer ,of sometimes unexpected sounds and timbres to be discovered by doing so.
Be prepared to dive into some amazingly rich and very complex and multi-layered but also at times, quite brutal soundscapes.
PS. I can hardly wait to hear your reactions.
Cheers CC
That's cool that you're that serious about music, I am too but not as picky as you.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #17,373 of 18,516
That's cool that you're that serious about music, I am too but not as picky as you.
And then, when one least expects it, Light -Man just posted another one of his little gems over at the only Music thread I visit here on a daily basis. Popular Classical Music thread : "Vivo Per Lei" not to be missed imho! As so often when he posts there ,I am once again, completely floored.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #17,375 of 18,516
Source for this fact please…..
Not an easy task these days when few seem aware of,and even fewer, here on this site in particular, apply the orginal definition of the term HIFI in SQ discussions.
But here you go ,from at least one more source more than me personally. Trust me, it is NOT a definition of SQ I made up myself. According to Gear Patrol:
"The term "hi-fi" — or "high fidelity" — dates back to the 1950s when it was used to describe audio equipment that was able to faithfully reproduce music. It meant that the music sounded like you were listening to the band or artist in person."

And Rob Watts the digital designer behind this very "Mscaler" thread has very openly and repeatedly stated that it is his aim and goal to try to close the gap between digitally recorded "unamplifed acoustic instruments" and how they sound live. He is not alone in striving for HIFI in his designs.
IMO, and this is only my personal opinion this time, not anything I can state as a fact, but to me he has already succeeded in considerably narrrowing that gap by quite a margin compared to how digital sounded to me before his mscaling tech with his current Mscaler.
Exciting times ahead for those who both know how unamplified instruments actually sound live and prefer to hear a closer version of that via their HIFI system.
Personally I can compare and hear the difference between a real piano and my own HIFI systems every day. And good as mscaled sounds, my live piano in the same room easily sounds more REAL more HIFI if you will, than even Mscaled.
The problem for me, is my piano-playing does NOT compare very favourably to about 99% of the pianists I can listen to recorded via Mscaler.
At the end of the day it is all about enjoying MUSIC.
But in any discussion of SQ I think it is essential to agree on a reference point to refer to.
And i can not think of a better reference point than the orginal definition of HIFI or as the English company Quad use to call it. For the closest approach to .......
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #17,377 of 18,516
Meanwhile has anybody here dared to lend Clara Ianotta's or Andrea Tarrodi's or Anna Thorwaldsdottir's music "an ear" yet ?
I have Christer. Only Andrea Tarrodi so far which, for me, sits within the modern tradition of Reich, Adams, et. al. and is not nearly as 'difficult' as I expected from your description. I look forward to exploring more of her work and the others you mention. Thanks for the recommendations!

PS I could not find Empireo on Qobuz. Do you know if a recording has been released apart from YouTube?

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #17,378 of 18,516
Oh, but maybe I should have added, and I am aware of possibly "stirring the Hornet's nest" even more than I already have , but here it goes again:

I am VERY PICKY when it comes to music, both WHAT I listen to, and HOW I listen to it.

I basically only listen to music that I consider worthy of my FULL ATTENTION and NEVER use music as any form of "aural wallpaper". No background music to any other activity for me. I even pause the music playing if I need to get something from the kitchen.

Better lend them "two ears" and your FULL ATTENTION and via a resolving chain , and Mscaled , because there are very subtle layer upon layer ,of sometimes unexpected sounds and timbres to be discovered by doing so.
Be prepared to dive into some amazingly rich and very complex and multi-layered but also at times, quite brutal soundscapes.
PS. I can hardly wait to hear your reactions.
Cheers CC
Thanks for the recommendations. I can’t find Anna Thorwaldsdottir but maybe I am not searching right (on Qobuz or Tidal)? I have been to live concerts and heard instruments, but probably enough enough or many types/manufacturers/spaces to be able to discern the different tones and timbres. Serious question while I am listening to some of your violin recommendations: when you listen to this music reproduced, does your enjoyment come from how well the reproduction meets the standard for live that you know, or is it more direct enjoyment of what you are hearing? (If that even makes sense.)

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #17,379 of 18,516
I have Christer. Only Andrea Tarrodi so far which, for me, sits within the modern tradition of Reich, Adams, et. al. and is not nearly as 'difficult' as I expected from your description. I look forward to exploring more of her work and the others you mention. Thanks for the recommendations!

PS I could not find Empireo on Qobuz. Do you know if a recording has been released apart from YouTube?
Yes I agree, Andrea Tarrodi's works are generally "easier listening" than some of Clara Ianotta's and Thorwaldsdottir's too.
So far I have only heard her music either live or from Radio broadcasts and Youtube. I have only found "Empíreo" on Youtube so far, but maybe a search over at BIS's hi res download site might yield something?
Her music has been played quite a lot by the Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra as well and last week the World Premiere of her most recent short Chamber Work was broadcast on Swedish Radio P 2, "our" BBC Radio 3 ,sort of. I would also check if any of these three are played at the BBC Proms which begin 14th of July?
I would be both surprised and very disappointed if they are not.
This morning I immersed myself fully and with great pleasure in Anna Thorwaldsdottir's imho, truly amazing work" Streaming Arythmia" on Youtube.
Mscaled and via my ML electrostatic speakers quite nice indeed.
But of course I would also like to hear it live.
"Important messages" can still "Get lost in translation" at least via my own humble system
Cheers and let me know what you think of Clara Ianotta and Anna Thorwaldsdottir?
Oops, both nice looking ladies and so is Tarrodi, but I actually meant your reaction to their music.
CC

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #17,380 of 18,516
Thanks for the recommendations. I can’t find Anna Thorwaldsdottir but maybe I am not searching right (on Qobuz or Tidal)? I have been to live concerts and heard instruments, but probably enough enough or many types/manufacturers/spaces to be able to discern the different tones and timbres. Serious question while I am listening to some of your violin recommendations: when you listen to this music reproduced, does your enjoyment come from how well the reproduction meets the standard for live that you know, or is it more direct enjoyment of what you are hearing? (If that even makes sense.)
I would try Youtube there is quite a lot by all three and lots more good music there. Not hi res download SQ, but often good enough Mscaled for me to enjoy it both compared to how I know some of it sounded live, but even more so for its Musical Qualities.
I would rather listen to music I like well performed, but in compromised SQ than " bad music" in good SQ.
Having said that, their music needs to be listened to in reasonably good SQ imo.
Rich often very complex soundscapes.The elusive term "High Fidelity" leaps to mind again. I wonder why it keeps popping up over and over again?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #17,381 of 18,516
.... The elusive term "High Fidelity" leaps to mind again. I wonder why it keeps popping up over and over again?
Probably because some people keep telling others that they are in possession of the one and only correct interpretation of said term and perhaps not surprisingly, not everybody agrees that there is actually only one interpretation of the term.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #17,383 of 18,516
Ha, nice to see that you took the bait this time ,I expected that you would .
Cheers CC
Well it wouldn't be fun if I didn't from time to time would it?

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #17,385 of 18,516

Users who are viewing this thread

Back