Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #16,128 of 18,495
The difference is on the middle pin diameter.. 50ohm being thicker prox. 1mm vs 0.8mm for 75ohm. My HMS having 75ohm.
The actual difference that affects the characteristic impedance is in the amount of insulation between the conductors as I understand it. There's a picture I can't find where someone showed the signal reflections added to a digital signal by using components with an incorrect impedance. Imagine a square wave with a noticeable, but not huge bump in the top of the wave. Whether it would actually affect an S/PDIF signal in any DAC, or the subsequent analog output, is hard to say.

Anyway, I had a bit of fun with the MScaler: I connected it up to the slightly older AKM-based Schiit Modi 3+. I had a listen to some acoustic music, and, switching between having the MScaler "off" (red), versus at the max the Modi would take (176.2/192 - blue), plucks on the strings of instruments went from having no decay, to having a clear decay. It was very audible. I also had the Modi powered from an iFi iUSB 3.

I only did it out of sheer curiosity to see what would happen -- ie: What happens if you "max out" a Modi, and how much does the audio change.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #16,129 of 18,495
The actual difference that affects the characteristic impedance is in the amount of insulation between the conductors as I understand it.
Ive seen many 'professional' chassis and BNC's with just 'tupperware' plastic as isolation.. thats hardly tuned..

Equipment is simply terminated with a matching resistor at both ends.. at least CCTV stuff is..

If i changed one of those resistors i saw clearly image degradation

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #16,131 of 18,495
Looking at recent stream of posts I can say one thing: I don't understand most of it and I miss the point in those posting completely.

Here is why: I had a pleasure listening to Lumin D2 with Feliks Audio Euforia Anniversary Edition yesterday, later I have been traveling so I used my trusted Mojo 2 with Poly and when I came back home I started listening to my Euforia playlist using Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler. What an awesome day it was, and I really like enjoying TT2 with M-Scaler. The joy of music is the one that really counts in this game IMHO. YMMV.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #16,132 of 18,495
@alekc Are you posting on a forum to say it's better to listen to music than post stuff on a forum? :rolling_eyes:

I expect the vast majority would agree.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #16,134 of 18,495
@alekc Are you posting on a forum to say it's better to listen to music than post stuff on a forum? :rolling_eyes:

I expect the vast majority would agree.
@griff500 A bit like that, yes. What I'm trying to say that I really like and highly value Head-Fi community, you guys have enormous knowledge and experience plus it is a great place for discussion, however I am missing the point in producing pages of posts about audio equipment without actually spending this time to listening and enjoying music. One could argue that you can listen to your cans while typing on the keyboard but for me the best joy comes when I can concentrate on music, not on postings. To summarize: it is valuable and important to post and share your toughs - that is how communities are being build, however for me it is completely pointless to produce ton of pointless posts about particular device while not truly focusing on the music. Just my 2 cents... Over and out - back to listening to:

1658994513750.png

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #16,135 of 18,495
Reminds me of a saying from my old science teacher,
“There’s a time and a place for questions, but in general you learn more with your ears open and your mouth shut than vice versa”,
Music is for listening to but when something is special we can’t help but wanting to talk about it ?
The other sage bit of advice is that it is often best to keep ones mouth shut and say nothing and let them think you are a fool rather than open your mouth and confirm it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #16,136 of 18,495
Confirming light travels faster than sound,
“He looked intelligent until he opened his mouth” 😳
😂
For the poster a while back looking for songs to evaluate the MScaler,
Add Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” to the list, at “realistic” rather than “excessive” speaker system volume the opening cymbal hit almost made me spill my coffee …

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #16,137 of 18,495
@griff500 A bit like that, yes. What I'm trying to say that I really like and highly value Head-Fi community, you guys have enormous knowledge and experience plus it is a great place for discussion, however I am missing the point in producing pages of posts about audio equipment without actually spending this time to listening and enjoying music. One could argue that you can listen to your cans while typing on the keyboard but for me the best joy comes when I can concentrate on music, not on postings. To summarize: it is valuable and important to post and share your toughs - that is how communities are being build, however for me it is completely pointless to produce ton of pointless posts about particular device while not truly focusing on the music. Just my 2 cents... Over and out - back to listening to:

1658994513750.png
That is a wonderful cd, one of my all time favourites. Extraordinary playing.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #16,138 of 18,495
Confirming light travels faster than sound,
“He looked intelligent until he opened his mouth” 😳
😂
For the poster a while back looking for songs to evaluate the MScaler,
Add Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” to the list, at “realistic” rather than “excessive” speaker system volume the opening cymbal hit almost made me spill my coffee …
[edited]
A few years ago @Peter Hyatt posted 'Although not a fan, the Masters version of "Rumors" at TIDAL is worth a Mojo listen: "Dreams" opening sequence. Listen to what Mojo does to the cymbal in the intro. Then, listen to the voice...'

Because of that comment, l compared a few recordings, and did find that one recording had much greater shimmer, than the other recordings, but I couldn't remember if it was that TIDAL version.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #16,140 of 18,495
[edited]
A few years ago @Peter Hyatt posted 'Although not a fan, the Masters version of "Rumors" at TIDAL is worth a Mojo listen: "Dreams" opening sequence. Listen to what Mojo does to the cymbal in the intro. Then, listen to the voice...'

Because of that comment, l compared a few recordings, and did find that one recording had much greater shimmer, than the other recordings, but I couldn't remember if it was that TIDAL version.
No streaming here, all off CD ….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back