Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #16,141 of 18,507
Because it directly addressed the topics I was inquiring about. If only everyone could answer questions directly...
But how do you know that his directly addressing your inquiries were accurate, correct, or even plausible? I think the question was what credentials do you have that allow you to judge the accuracy of his responses.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #16,142 of 18,507
Because it directly addressed the topics I was inquiring about. If only everyone could answer questions directly...
Are you able to evaluate the accuracy of his answers? What is your own level of expertise?

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #16,143 of 18,507
But how do you know that his directly addressing your inquiries were accurate, correct, or even plausible? I think the question was what credentials do you have that allow you to judge the accuracy of his responses.
I do not understand where the confusion lies, the question was 'Why windowing is necessary', this is basic DSP 101 and not debatable, the answer is right there in the linked response:

The benefit of the rectangular window is that all of the filter values are sinc - but the downside is we have a rapid transition from 0 to a sinc coefficient - and this abrupt change (or discontinuity) causes massive problems in the final filter. No competent audio filter designer would ever use a rectangular window because of this.

(A rectangular window is equivalent to using no windowing function.)

An even more technical (read - boring) answer can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #16,145 of 18,507
Im sure he didnt mean moving on away from this thread😄

All waiting for the next HMS..
Not missing it still (prob until it arrives)

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #16,148 of 18,507
Waiting has its advantages. Gives you a chance to save up for the cables which, pro rata, should come in around £3000. A mere magnum of wine to some. :wink:
Better save for the scaler 🤑

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #16,149 of 18,507
From what I picked up at the recent CanJam London we won’t see the new Choral range M Scaler before early next summer.
[Edited] Interesting to many head-fiers, because one other poster had mentioned that Chord asked nothing from canjam to be divulged.
It was obvious from the tone of the rare Chord communications during recent months, that entry into service was slipping from Q4 to Q1, but talk of Q2 is something new.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #16,153 of 18,507
the m-scaler was developed for the chord dave to take proper advantage of it..other DAC's can see improvement to varying degree...if it is true that the m-scaler was tested with a topping DAC...well then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back