HTC One X
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

I can't compare to the AT&T One X directly, only the International S3 and the US S3 (which has the same DAC as the US One X). For my money the International S3 sports better SQ than it's US variant brethren. Besides that it also supports USB audio, will have even better SQ yet once Voodoo Sound (finally!) arrives, and all-round is a much, much better device.

Im about to choose a S3.
I dont care about LTE, but I really liked 2GB of ram. Which one would you choose judging SQ.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #62 of 84
I'm going to have to agree with NZtechfreak.  There are other potentially major advantages to forking out more dough up front for an unlocked international phone:

1: much more android development being done on XDA
2: amazing data plan loopholes with AT&T
3: generally better CPUs since they don't need to conform to a carrier's LTE network

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #63 of 84
Sorry if this has already been answered - but can one of the Fiio headphone / dac / amps be hooked up to the USB port of the OneX?

Alternatively, would the sound be improved hooking up the amp via the headphone cable?

Or alternatively (for when sat in the same place - living room etc) - using something like an Arcam rBlink?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #64 of 84
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been answered - but can one of the Fiio headphone / dac / amps be hooked up to the USB port of the OneX?

Alternatively, would the sound be improved hooking up the amp via the headphone cable?

Or alternatively (for when sat in the same place - living room etc) - using something like an Arcam rBlink?

No, they can't. The One doesn't have USB OTG on stock firmware, and AFAIK even the custom kernels that add it do not support USB audio.

I'm sure you'd get some improvement in the sound with a headphone amp.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #65 of 84
This may help some people using an HTC One X as a source. I have one and got a Fiio e11 to juice up the audio. I would say that the amp does improve the SQ but I'm still not happy. Everything just seems harsh to me, don't know how else to describe it... Think it's a great phone but not a good source for some high fidelity listening in my opinion. To put it another way, I can hear a big difference when when I connect my Fiio into my pc - and that's only on board audio!

Looked into using an external DAC through the micro-USB. Looks like its possible for some android devises but not possible with the HTC. Bummer...

It pains me to say it but I'm thinking of getting an IPod touch, even though I listen to all my music on Spotify... The "extreme" quality download for that seems ok to me.

Still new to the "audio world" so if anybody sees a glaring error in my logic, please let me know! Peace.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #66 of 84
Quote:
This may help some people using an HTC One X as a source. I have one and got a Fiio e11 to juice up the audio. I would say that the amp does improve the SQ but I'm still not happy. Everything just seems harsh to me, don't know how else to describe it... Think it's a great phone but not a good source for some high fidelity listening in my opinion. To put it another way, I can hear a big difference when when I connect my Fiio into my pc - and that's only on board audio!
Looked into using an external DAC through the micro-USB. Looks like its possible for some android devises but not possible with the HTC. Bummer...
It pains me to say it but I'm thinking of getting an IPod touch, even though I listen to all my music on Spotify... The "extreme" quality download for that seems ok to me.
Still new to the "audio world" so if anybody sees a glaring error in my logic, please let me know! Peace.

Apologies for 'resurrecting' an older thread.

I'm possibly getting an HTC One X (International version, Tegra 3 Quad, no LTE) quite soon and already own a Fiio E11. Personally I no longer use my Fiio E11 with my HTC Desire S, mainly because it doesn't improve much with my Custom IEM's (Minerva Mi-1's) via the 3.5mm jack.

One of the things I thought I'd look into was the possibility of using the USB port to bypass the internal whatsits and make best use of my Fiio E11. I was under the impression that this kind of USB support was supposed to be added as part of Jellybean, the latest Android update. 

If the HTC One X (International Tegra 3 version) is *physically* unable to do this (ie. missing some wires and silicon that would make USB audio work) then I'd love to know asap. If it's a case of HTC introducing the software/ROM tweaks or someone cooking up a Custom ROM (which I've used in my HTC HD1, HD2 and Desire S so would do on my One X) with the tweak then I'll probably keep my E11 (was going to sell it).

Could anyone shed some light on this? Is it a physically "can't do" or a software/ROM "can't do yet but might do in the future"?

EDIT: I'm quite set on the HTC One X but I may abandon the HTC for the Samsung Galaxy S3. I've loved my previous HTC phones, enjoy Sense etc. but the Wolfson DAC and USB Audio functions on the S3 make it tempting... though the Tegra 3 is also quite alluring. <headache>

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #67 of 84
I have an htc one X and the sound quality isn't the greatest. If you search on GSM arena, they have audio quality tests done on every phone.. The new HTC one X+ is said to be much better for audio quality, and the new HTC droid DNA has 2 additional amps built in for speaker and headphones

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #68 of 84
Hiya - I'm in the exact same boat with my One X± - I was contemplating getting the Fiio E17 buy the DAC looks like it won't be usable (I'd still benefit on the mac though so still tempted). I'm also using Extremely quality from Spotify - are you pleased with the results you've got from your e11?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #69 of 84
Just got the following reply from Fiio regarding using a DAC/Amp with the HTC One X: 

Our E7 or E07K can support it but need a USB OTG cable.

Confused now as I've been reading that the phone's usb port/android version isn't supported in this way??

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #70 of 84
Just got off phone to HTC & they can't vouch for compatibility of all devices but they did say the HTC One X will accept usb OTG for audio out (still sceptical but for the cost of a cable I'll have a dabble)! 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #71 of 84
Hi Guy's n Gal's thought i'd make every HOX owners day by confirming that USB audio out is now fully working on the HOX!!
beyersmile.png

I purchased the Fiio E17 and recieved it today 04/01/13 my HOX is a Orange branded Tegra 3 phone which is running custom firmware (Android Revolution HD Jellybean 4.1 Hboot 1.6) head over to XDA Developers for how to install custom ROMs for those who don't know how to. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1562603&nocache=1

I charged the Fiio E17 pluged it into the HOX with a USB OTG cable, plugged in headphones hit play on poweramp and to my huge delight and relief awsome sound was to be heard Eureka!!

So to everyone with and Android device capable of running Jellybean that wants Digital Audio out via USB It's a reality.

Enjoy and spread the word.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #73 of 84
I think it comes down to support being added to the jellybean kernel, not device specific. In theory any android device with usb port that can run custom jellybean firmware should work. But I can only confirm my own findings. I bought the kids a 7 inch tablet for Christmas that run stock jellybean, when I get home I'll test and report back.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #74 of 84
Great news that  USB audio is now supported in the HOX! That isn't because of Jelly Bean though I'm afraid, only that HTC have now added support for USB OTG in their Jelly Bean update and ALSO added a more standard version of USB audio than what Jelly Bean itself has (which is entirely non-standard and only works with devicesmade sspecifically for it on stock Jelly Bean). This is not a sign that all JB devices will do it, since both the Nexus 4 and 7 do not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back