HTC One X
May 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 84
i still got 50gb from dropbox and i barely have 3gb of music 320kbps-flac and i rarely keep my old music. Also i just got the phone and am impressed so far. The sq, using my vmoda m80's, is just as good as my old 4s if not better. Also the phone itself is smooth and fun to use :) 

May 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 84
I have the One X. I also use the same headphone as you do (the V-Moda M80) and I find the SQ on the One X is significantly worse than straight out of my laptop or even my iPod Touch 4th Gen. It's dissapointing since the difference is immediately noticeable for me. It's not too big of a deal for me though since I'm not planning on using the One X as my main portable source.

May 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 84
Quote:
I have the One X. I also use the same headphone as you do (the V-Moda M80) and I find the SQ on the One X is significantly worse than straight out of my laptop or even my iPod Touch 4th Gen. It's dissapointing since the difference is immediately noticeable for me. It's not too big of a deal for me though since I'm not planning on using the One X as my main portable source.

Hey Im interested in the HOX but want your opinion please. Is it too big for your hands, do you feel a bit self conscious when you take it out to use? Its not very smooth for a quad core like a bit jerky when you scroll through pages? What do you really like about it?

May 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 84
The phone is one of the sexiest phones that i have held proud in my hands. Also the one x for AT&T which is the one i have is really different than the one x international version including sound quality and it has a dual core snapdragon s4 which uses a 28nm process meaning it's faster and cooler than any other phone out atm.

May 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 84
Quote:
The phone is one of the sexiest phones that i have held proud in my hands. Also the one x for AT&T which is the one i have is really different than the one x international version including sound quality and it has a dual core snapdragon s4 which uses a 28nm process meaning it's faster and cooler than any other phone out atm.

I really wish they'd used the superior S4 in the international version - better music quality, better processor, better battery life, GLONASS Vs no GLONASS in the international One X...

For my international One X (thankfully it was free) I agree with the poster above, sound quality average.

May 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #22 of 84
I'll add another voice to the pentile discussion.  At the resolutions present on the Galaxy Nexus & Note, it's not an issue.

The big problem with these screens is the terrible gamma setting that makes almost blacks look gray.  It's hugely distracting to watch dark scenes taken over by big gray blocks.

But it's software fixable.  If the S3 is free of this problem out of the box, I'll have no complaints about that pentile screen.

May 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 84
I considered the One X but the Wolfson dac of the S3 plus all that storage is the dream combination for anyone wanting good sound from their mobile phone. It's about time too, my galaxy S2 had very average sound quality.

May 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 84
Quote:
I considered the One X but the Wolfson dac of the S3 plus all that storage is the dream combination for anyone wanting good sound from their mobile phone. It's about time too, my galaxy S2 had very average sound quality.

There are quite a few advantages to the S3, but the sound and storage were probably the key differentiators for me and why I'll get an S3 and it'll be my daily driver.

May 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #25 of 84
As the owner of the HTC One X, I can say that the sound quality is quite good. I'm using it with the IE80 and am completely satisfied. The differences in the specifications sometimes can't tell you everything about the real sound in daily usage.

May 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #26 of 84
i have a HTC ONE X and am very happy with its sound, when paired with my Sennheiser CX215 cans, even with the Beats Audio activated.
Ive tried all genres, and the best is rock, followed by live music, with hip hop sounding enjoyable but low-heavy.
Personally, i think it beats the Iphone and Galaxy sound hands down.

For Production and mixing, i use ShureSRH840 + fiio E10 + laptop sound card
For Post Production i go for my Cowon C2 + ATH AWS55
For Everyday/Commuting i have no issue using my HTC ONE X + Senn CX215 (excellent for movies also)
gs1000.gif

May 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #28 of 84
Quote:
you have the att one x right?

It would help readers immensely if people posting in this thread said specifically which One X variety they had.

May 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #29 of 84
The AT&T HTC One X as well as the Verizon Galaxy S 3 will likely share the same audio hub included with the Krait SoC.
It this case, one could expect very similar, if not identical, sound from these variants of the respective devices.
As for the international version of the Galaxy S 3, it will be very interesting to see how the Wolfson audio hub compares to that of the Verizon version.
The audio hub in the AT&T HTC One X has been reported to be quite good.  It will be interesting to see if Verizon indeed uses the same audio hub as the AT&T HTC One X for the Galaxy S 3, and whether the implementation of the audio varies or they are very similar.  Samsung really screwed the audio with Galaxy S and variants.  Thankfully, Supercurio came to the rescue!

As for the pentile display issue:  this is really a matter of preference more than anything.  I keep hearing both extremes of the issue as well as some more neutral positions on the matter.  Personally, I have seen the HTC One X display.  IMO, it is the best display out there, and beats the Galaxy Nexus and the LG Spectrum display easily.  Also, IMO, the pentile sub-pixel arrangement on the Galaxy Note as well as the Galaxy Nexus both distract me a lot.  Many people may not notice.  I personally can't stand it.  YMMV. 
The HTC One X provides more realistic whites, RGB arrangement, excellent viewing angles, all while maintaining a high contrast ratio, nearly 1300/1.  Also, I don't care what anybody says, SAMOLED nor SAMOLED+ does NOT have a an infinite contrast ratio.  Just display a black image at night, and you will see the display.  My guess is that the contrast ratio is well under 50,000/1 (excellent in any right, just not infinite.)
Regarding the colors of SAMOLED, they are absolutely over-saturated.  This can be fixed by applying a color profile to images that you want to view in order to match the color space of the phone.  When this is done, then photos look stunning on SAMOLED/SAMOLED+ displays.  Additionally, some ROMs allow you to adjust the RGB values, which allows you to get very close to matching the sRGB color space natively, so most content will display as expected.  When this is done, images will have natural and excellent color.  The end user is better off with an IPS LCD, which will have far more accurate out-of-the-box colors than SAMOLED.

There should be other considerations if deciding between these devices.  The AT&T HTC One X does not have an unlocked bootloader.  The device may not get S-OFF (hopefully will at least get unlocked bootloader, though.)  Both the international and Verizon Galaxy S 3 will likely have a great development following. 
Ultimately, if you are a Verizon or AT&T customer and it turns out the audio is the same on each respective device, then the choice may come down many other factors.  I'm on Verizon, but I almost want to buy an HTC One X off-contract, just because I think it is the nicest phone out there (my wallet won't let me, though.)

May 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #30 of 84
I'm glad to hear that the S4  variant of the One X has pretty good sound. I really don't like to carry around a DAC/AMP on the go if I can avoid it. Especially when the phones are big like the One X or the galaxy S3. As long as the sound quality is 'good enough' for a compact portable rig (like included in your phone compact), I will be fine. Let's just hope AT&T doesn't try to lock the bootloader for the galaxy.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back