HTC One X
May 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 84
Has anyone heard the 2 One Xs side by side, who would be able to speak to the differences? 

I bought an international One X, but returned it due to the poor sound quality, and some other minor issues.  I am due for an upgrade though and am really leaning towards the One X from Rogers (the same as ATT I'm assuming).   I just really loved the overall experience that I had with the One X.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

May 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #32 of 84
Quote:
Has anyone heard the 2 One Xs side by side, who would be able to speak to the differences? 

I bought an international One X, but returned it due to the poor sound quality, and some other minor issues.  I am due for an upgrade though and am really leaning towards the One X from Rogers (the same as ATT I'm assuming).   I just really loved the overall experience that I had with the One X.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Will probably be difficult for most to manage since they're being sold in different markets for the most part. I'm hoping to get my hands on a One XL at some stage (has the S4 Krait SoC like the AT&T one), if/when that happens I'd certainly be comparing the two, but at this stage that's a lower priority than my S3 blog coverage.

May 29, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #33 of 84
I have the international (Tegra 3) One X and have to say the sound quality via the headphone jack is terrible. Lots of hiss, audible crackles/pops whenever any sound is played (have tried 5 different sets of headphones so it's definitely the One X). Very disappointed for what is supposed to be a flagship Android device.

May 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #34 of 84
EDIT: after purchasing a new audio interface to replace my older M-Audio device that dies, I am no longer getting the results posted below. The frequency response I'm getting with the One X is now nearly identical to what GSMArena measured for the One S, which was excellent.

Please see my later post with a new graph.

------

I've posted this on XDA but decided to post here as well.

------

For those of you who are interested, I used RMAA and my M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface to record and analyze the following:

- Samsung Nexus S with Voodoo Sound
- HTC One X LTE with sound processing off
- HTC One X LTE with Beats audio on (headphone set to Other)

I used supercurio's new app that plays a RMAA test signal to do this. Also, I repeated each test twice to verify that my results were accurate.

Note that on the One X, the output level doesn't go beyond -10dB when volume is at maximum, so I adjusted the Nexus S to -10 dB, even though it can go higher.

I have no idea if my methodology is sound, but I'd say the frequency response speaks for itself.

[size=11pt]  [/size]

[size=10pt]
Test
[/size]
[size=10pt]
Samsung Nexus S (Voodoo)
[/size]
[size=10pt]
HTC One X LTE
[/size]
[size=10pt]
HTC One X LTE (Beats)
[/size]
[size=10pt]
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:
[/size]
[size=10pt]
+0.01, -0.12
[/size]
[size=10pt]
+1.17, -1.68
[/size]
[size=10pt]
+3.32, -1.20
[/size]
[size=10pt]
Noise level, dB (A):
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
Dynamic range, dB (A):
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
THD, %:
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
IMD + Noise, %:
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
Stereo crosstalk, dB:
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
[/size]

May 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #35 of 84
Wow, thanks for posting that.  Which version of the HOX do you have, the international?

All I have to say, WTH is wrong with that phone?  That looks awful.

EDIT:  Forgot to talk smack the Beats.  I can see how the beats response could sound appealing to some people, but one could see how it would sound appalling to others.
EDIT:  Forgot to make a joke.  The HOX got "Beaten" with the ugly stick (of sound).

May 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 84
Quote:
Wow, thanks for posting that.  Which version of the HOX do you have, the international?

All I have to say, WTH is wrong with that phone?  That looks awful.

EDIT:  Forgot to talk smack the Beats.  I can see how the beats response could sound appealing to some people, but one could see how it would sound appalling to others.
EDIT:  Forgot to make a joke.  The HOX got "Beaten" with the ugly stick (of sound).

No, I have the Rogers LTE version with the Snapdragon S4 dual-core.

Had it not been for the flat response I'm getting from the Nexus with the exact same setup, I would have thought there was some sort of experimental error with my One X measurements.

I am puzzled by the frequency response of the S4-based One X, compared to the international version (see here http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-review-747p5.php) and especially compared to the One S, which has the same S4 processor (see here http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s-review-746p5.php).

May 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

No, I have the Rogers LTE version with the Snapdragon S4 dual-core.

Had it not been for the flat response I'm getting from the Nexus with the exact same setup, I would have thought there was some sort of experimental error with my One X measurements.

I am puzzled by the frequency response of the S4-based One X, compared to the international version (see here http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-review-747p5.php) and especially compared to the One S, which has the same S4 processor (see here http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s-review-746p5.php).

I wonder if it is possible your unit is defective or if there is some sort of EQ or DSP that is active besides Beats.  The results of One S you linked is in line of what I expected, not that hideous monster you have!

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #38 of 84
I don't think it's defective, but I'm also wondering if there is any other processing being applied. Beats me. :)

May 31, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 84
Good demonstration of the Beats EQ there with a horrible bass hump and peak in the highs.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #40 of 84
Nice. Thanks for that. I actually ended up buying the Rogers One X and it is better than the international one. Though it's not amazing, the noticeable hiss is gone in this version, at least to my ears.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 84
I also have the Tegra 3 international One X and I experienced some hissing (at high volume, during the silent sections of some tracks) but that was with Beats on. When I took off beats my music played fine. In fact since I got the device a few weeks ago I did not even suspect something was wrong with the audio. Everything continues to sound fine for me. 

Does anyone else who has the Tegra 3 think the audio is fine for them?

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #42 of 84
I also have the Tegra 3 international One X and I experienced some hissing (at high volume, during the silent sections of some tracks) but that was with Beats on. When I took off beats my music played fine. In fact since I got the device a few weeks ago I did not even suspect something was wrong with the audio. Everything continues to sound fine for me. 

Does anyone else who has the Tegra 3 think the audio is fine for them?

Your not imagining anything, the audio chipset in the international version just plain sucks. Http://goo.go/VWZd3

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #44 of 84
How does the HTC One S compare to the X in terms of audio quality? The one S has a Snapdragon S4 as well, so is it safe to assume that it has great sound..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back