HRT HeadStreamer: WASAPI woes in FooBar
Feb 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #16 of 88
I had a similar problem with the MSII. I was getting pops and clicks until I started using WASAPI, and that fixed it. . . 

I only had problems with my laptop, so I figured it was some kind of software problem.

That doesn't help you though, sorry. :S

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #17 of 88

Quote:
Nope, no luck either. 
frown.gif

You should place a thread in MusicBee forum, explaining what errors are ocurring. (www.getmusicbee.com/forum)

Steve Mayall (creator) is very helpful and may even change the software do adress your problem. (he has done that in the past)

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #18 of 88

Quote:
The thing is, I can't believe a company like HRT wouldn't test their USB-only product against software as popular as Foobar... it just seems terribly short-sighted to me.

Agree.

But if you google for foobar issues (pops and crackles) with some USB DACs, you will notice that HRT is not alone...

It´s not common, but HRT is not the only one.

foobar is great, but not perfect

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 88
This is really not an issue with Foobar or HRT per se. All the clicking and whatnot is caused by having a less than great USB host on your computer. I have several DACs that I simply cannot get to work on my laptop but all of them work flawlessly on my desktop. Regardless of software used for playback. Messing around with WASAPI settings can relieve the problem somewhat and changing the DAC to a different USB port may also help (most computers have more than one USB host).

One suggestion that I got from HRT was to buy a separate powered USB hub and connect the DAC to this. I have not tried this with my laptop yet though as I simply gave up and started using the DAC with my desktop where it works without a glitch.

So most likely if you are having these issues with the HRT you will/would have similar issues with another DAC from another manufacturer. Obviously there might  be a DAC out there that would work for you but finding it might be tough :) The recommendation I got from HRT was also to set the buffer time as low as possible (50ms or lower). This did have some affect on my laptop, just like chaging the USB port did but nothing I tried there was a 100% fix.

Another option would be to stop using USB and use a s/pdif output on your soundcard to feed your DAC. I understand this approach is less prone to problems than using USB. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #20 of 88
I had a similar issue with my MSII+, any time I played 88.2KHz files I got pops and clicks all over.  Switching to Kernel Streaming from WASAPI fixed it.  It did occasionally lock up my computer though, maybe once or twice per week (with 5-6 hours/day of listening).

Firmware 1.8 got WASAPI working better but it's still not perfect.  It's the reason I switched to the Bifrost.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #22 of 88

Quote:
This is really not an issue with Foobar or HRT per se. All the clicking and whatnot is caused by having a less than great USB host on your computer. I have several DACs that I simply cannot get to work on my laptop but all of them work flawlessly on my desktop. Regardless of software used for playback. Messing around with WASAPI settings can relieve the problem somewhat and changing the DAC to a different USB port may also help (most computers have more than one USB host).

One suggestion that I got from HRT was to buy a separate powered USB hub and connect the DAC to this. I have not tried this with my laptop yet though as I simply gave up and started using the DAC with my desktop where it works without a glitch.

So most likely if you are having these issues with the HRT you will/would have similar issues with another DAC from another manufacturer. Obviously there might  be a DAC out there that would work for you but finding it might be tough :) The recommendation I got from HRT was also to set the buffer time as low as possible (50ms or lower). This did have some affect on my laptop, just like chaging the USB port did but nothing I tried there was a 100% fix.

Another option would be to stop using USB and use a s/pdif output on your soundcard to feed your DAC. I understand this approach is less prone to problems than using USB. 

1) Using the same exact port on the same exact laptop, but from J River Media Center w. WASAPI, I get ZERO clicks or pops as I explained previously.

2) Using the same exact port on the same exact laptop, running Clementine Player from Linux w. ALSA set for 20ms buffer, I get ZERO clicks or pops. 

3) HRT Suggested me the same thing with the powered USB hub but power or noise is hardly the issue, given points 1 and 2. I bought the HeadStreamer specifically to use with my laptop at work and points 1 and 2 proves that it can be done. I'm blaming FooBar's WASAPI plugin for my problems, not the HeadStreamer.

4) Lowering the buffer was the first thing I did but FooBar won't go any lower than 50ms. 20ms gives me flawless playback in Clementine and JRMC works brilliantly as well.

5) Adding another soundcard to a laptop is hardly an option.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 88
As a HRT MusicStreamer II owner, I too use Foobar with WASAPI as my media player of choice and have faced similar issues regarding clicking, popping and static. Although my experiences have been completely random.
At random mind you, I'll start a song, 10 seconds in, I'll get static. Stopping and Starting playback sometimes resolves it, otherwise I must go into the latency settings and adjust it from 50ms to another setting, apply it, set it back to 50ms and apply it.

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution within Foobar for this, but I firmly believe that it is the outdated WASAPI plugin that is the root of all issues and not the Foobar software or HRT hardware. My guess is that the transfer protocol within WASAPI itself was never written properly to handle USB data transfers, but only data over the PCI bus and its latency.

Another issue I've ran into HRT + Foobar w/ WASAPI is that it will not play 24bit/192KHz files (format not supported error). I must use direct sound instead of WASAPI to playback 24/192 files. Very annoying.
All this was done using a laptop as a playback device.

I've got a desktop with an Auzentech soundcard, with identical software to my laptop, the desktop playback experience is flawless (soundcard is set to 1000ms latency). I get zero clicks/pops/static or the 24/192KHz issue.

Take it for what its worth.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 88

Quote:
As a HRT MusicStreamer II owner, I too use Foobar with WASAPI as my media player of choice and have faced similar issues regarding clicking, popping and static. Although my experiences have been completely random.
At random mind you, I'll start a song, 10 seconds in, I'll get static. Stopping and Starting playback sometimes resolves it, otherwise I must go into the latency settings and adjust it from 50ms to another setting, apply it, set it back to 50ms and apply it.

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution within Foobar for this, but I firmly believe that it is the outdated WASAPI plugin that is the root of all issues and not the Foobar software or HRT hardware. My guess is that the transfer protocol within WASAPI itself was never written properly to handle USB data transfers, but only data over the PCI bus and its latency.

Another issue I've ran into HRT + Foobar w/ WASAPI is that it will not play 24bit/192KHz files (format not supported error). I must use direct sound instead of WASAPI to playback 24/192 files. Very annoying.
All this was done using a laptop as a playback device.

I've got a desktop with an Auzentech soundcard, with identical software to my laptop, the desktop playback experience is flawless (soundcard is set to 1000ms latency). I get zero clicks/pops/static or the 24/192KHz issue.

Take it for what its worth.

My experiences are exactly the same and I believe you're right - the WASAPI plugin is to blame.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #25 of 88

Quote:
I firmly believe that it is the outdated WASAPI plugin that is the root of all issues and not the Foobar software or HRT hardware. My guess is that the transfer protocol within WASAPI itself was never written properly to handle USB data transfers, but only data over the PCI bus and its latency.

Yes, it makes sense.

In the last days I´ve been testing the new foobar asio plugin (released 4-2-2012) and until now playback is stable, even with the standard buffer (1000 ms).

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #26 of 88

Quote:
Yes, it makes sense.

In the last days I´ve been testing the new foobar asio plugin (released 4-2-2012) and until now playback is stable, even with the standard buffer (1000 ms).

Nice! Got a link for it?

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #29 of 88
I´m also using the latest foobar... v1.1.11

Don´t know if it has some influence.

Nevertheless, I believe you may have to consider other media players and forget foobar.

What is the asio driver you are using ?

I am using asio4all 2.10  + foobar (v1.1.11) + foobar asio plugin 2.1

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 88

Quote:
I´m also using the latest foobar... v1.1.11

Don´t know if it has some influence.

Nevertheless, I believe you may have to consider other media players and forget foobar.

What is the asio driver you are using ?

I am using asio4all 2.10  + foobar (v1.1.11) + foobar asio plugin 2.1

How are your buffer settings configured in Asio4All?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back