HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Jul 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #91 of 1,203
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #92 of 1,203
Theoretically... But practically is another thing.

Even if on paper the endpoint performs a very simple task, delegating the entire processing to the server, the device connected to the dac is fundamental, and its cpu is even more so.
It uses as endpoint a device with ARM cpu (like a raspberry, a rendu etc.. ), then a mobile x86 (like a notebook or a nuc), then another one of desktop class (like a common pc).

With the same expenditure (practically almost zero) and configuration, the device with a more powerful CPU will sound better, even if it should theoretically consume, heat up and produce more noise on it.

Using the network introduces much more noise than that produced by a CPU.

The sound has a completely different weight.

Seeing is believing.
When CPU usage of a machine is in the single digits (as it is with NAA streaming), a more powerful CPU will not buy you anything. Your belief that it does is probably what makes it sound better to you.

Also, ethernet should be galvanically isolated, so it's a minimal source for noise.

AMD/Intel vs ARM may have some points to consider, given the post linked above. That's addressing issues with BIOS/architectural differences between the two and not really CPU power. I personally use silent Intel Celeron PCs (like this MeLE Quieter3C Fanless Mini PC) as NAA endpoints. They work great and can be powered from a USB power bank. I even underclock those to make them even more efficient.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #93 of 1,203
Your belief that it does is probably what makes it sound better to you.

Also, ethernet should be galvanically isolated
This is precisely your belief in fact, the result only of what you think it could be, not of what it actually is...

You confirm it by writing "ethernet should be isolated"...

Many speak from hearsay, or espousing the best thesis according to their own logic, but without ever trying.

It costs nothing.

Try it yourself and listen for yourself.

Then you can have your say but based on your direct experience.

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #94 of 1,203
This is precisely your belief in fact, the result only of what you think it could be, not of what it actually is...

You confirm it by writing "ethernet should be isolated"...

Many speak from hearsay, or espousing the best thesis according to their own logic, but without ever trying.

It costs nothing.

Try it yourself and listen for yourself.

Then you can have your say but based on your direct experience.
You're incorrectly assuming I haven't tried every possible combination I could think of to get the most SQ out of my setup. I have and settled on what I did. I've tried audiophile power supplies, switches, filters, more powerful computers, everything you've mentioned. Done it, with actual volume leveled A/B testing whenever possible. I try to stay hyper aware of my own listening and confirmation biases in this hobby. There's way too much snake oil out there.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #95 of 1,203
You're incorrectly assuming I haven't tried every possible combination I could think of to get the most SQ out of my setup. I have and settled on what I did. I've tried audiophile power supplies, switches, filters, more powerful computers, everything you've mentioned. Done it, with actual volume leveled A/B testing whenever possible.
I assume nothing. The CPU power of the device physically connected to the DAC is essential regardless of the task it will have to perform. That's what I'm saying. This is my experience.

 What is the most powerful device as endpoint you have tried?

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #96 of 1,203
I assume nothing. The CPU power of the device physically connected to the DAC is essential regardless of the task it will have to perform. That's what I'm saying. This is my experience.

 What is the most powerful device as endpoint you have tried?
There's no point in having a massively powerful CPU in an NAA device that is simply routing data packets from the network interface to the USB interface in a FIFO queue. The underclocked Intel Celeron in my silent PC I use as the NAA endpoint barely reaches 10% CPU usage when I stream DSD512. Upgrading that to a Core i9 will get me absolutely nothing. I have tried connecting the DAC directly to the Core i9/Nvidia GPU gaming machine I use as my HQPlayer server, it did not sound any better. I have tried NUC PCs as my NAA device as well, those have Core i5, they didn't sound any better to me. If you hear a difference, then stick with it. Every playback chain is different. Are you even using NAA or connecting directly to the server?

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #97 of 1,203
Link from Jussi on why intel/AMD are preferred over ARM for NAA’s (this is why he recommends the UP Board in order to run his custom Linux image)
That was probably about older stuff like RPi 3 and similar. Now there is NAA OS image for RPi 4 (and RPi 4 based products like Holo Red) at Jussi's website. That image has the latest kernel and do everything right.

P.S. I've personally tried three different NAAs with my May. Big computer with LPSU sounded the worst, Holo Red (ARM platform) was the best.

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #99 of 1,203
P.S. I've personally tried three different NAAs with my May. Big computer with LPSU sounded the worst, Holo Red (ARM platform) was the best.
Did you ever try the Up Board with his image?

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #101 of 1,203
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #102 of 1,203
No. After trying Holo Red I stopped. I really like the sound and see no point in further experiments.
Got it. He’s been recommending it for years though, long before Holo Red was released.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #103 of 1,203
He’s been recommending it for years though, long before Holo Red was released.
I assume it's still recommended as the cheap and reliable solution. And I think recently Jussi also was recommending Red. Probably better to ask him.

Don't hear this often from Hfiers :)
Sometimes enough is enough. I don't think the Red will be with me for the rest of my life, but it's definitely good enough to calm down my NAA interest for next few years. Something new and attractive will inevitably appear sooner or later, but so far I'm absolutely happy how May-Red and HQPlayer play together.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #104 of 1,203
for some reason sinc-long (vs mx previously) stutters on my system…
I have the same issue stuttering?

I thought, let's try a powerfull server, but still stuttering.

I used a fast nvme disk for the OS disk.
Physical 8 core (logical 16) Intel XEON cpu 2,7GHz 12MB cache per core
Startup hqplayer with High priority on the CPU, so it get's all the resources
128GB fast server checksum system memory

Hqplayer is using only 51-57% CPU max resource use, but still stuttering with sinc-long?

I would say, is it buggy? or does it only works with nvidia CUDA (then I would say still buggy, it is not the cpu that is the problem)
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #105 of 1,203
Sometimes enough is enough. I don't think the Red will be with me for the rest of my life, but it's definitely good enough to calm down my NAA interest for next few years. Something new and attractive will inevitably appear sooner or later, but so far I'm absolutely happy how May-Red and HQPlayer play together.

Good for you! I am also in a kind of audio satisfaction plateau with Hqplayer, although I use an old MacBook Pro as NAA, instead of a dedicated one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back