HPs with a sig similar to the ATH-ES7?
Oct 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anomaly10

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

So my ES7s recently broke after some mishaps, and now one of the drivers is blown out. I've contacted Audio-Technica and they claim a repair will likely be in the range of $70 (although that's not a guarantee since I'd have to send them in first so they can actually confirm that it's driver issues). The problem is, I see these phones listed on sites like buydig for only $70, and I can't help but wonder if I would be better of getting a new pair of ES7s altogether?

And then I got to thinking, well it's been a couple of years since I picked those up, and my upgraditis is starting to act up, so I might as well take this opportunity to explore some potential upgrades/replacements. After looking around, it seems like the D1001s, ES7s, and ESW9s are the ones that fit the bill for me the best. I wanted to get some experience from forumers who might have experience with either owning or having had an opportunity to hear multiple of these phones to hear how they sound RELATIVE to the ES7s. My budget is capped at $150, so I'd be going for a used ESW9, from the FS forums most likely.

Mainly, I want to know how the sigs of the D1001 and the ES7 stack up, as I'm doubting i'd be able to find a ESW9 in my price range. Is the D1001 as fun sounding as the ES7s are? I don't really care much for analytical sound, and I much prefer the warm sound that the ES7 gave me. From what I've been reading on the forums I can gather that the ESW9 is a lot like the ES7 in terms of warm, but a little more refined with a smaller bass hump, but I can't find any direct comparisons of the ES7s to D1001s. I listen to a lot of music ranging from classical to some electronic, but what they all have in common is that they need at least a fair presence in the bass range, but it doesn't have to be at basshead levels, just appreciable enough to enjoy the music.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me in making a decision on which of these three would be the best fit for me.

PS this is kind of unrelated but is buydig actually a legitamate seller of ES7s? I know there have been a lot of problems with fakes and the ones on buydig are only $70, so it got me a little suspicious.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 10
In my opinion the es7 doesn't sound warm through my pair.  I also believe the esw9a will not sound similar to the es7, base on what I read.  If you are looking for warmth thne esw9a seems to fit your bill.  If you don't mind larger size, what about the M50?  They are more laid back, refined, and warmer sounding then the es7.  Bass is bigger, deeper, better bass extension, but not as impactful.  The only thing is the M50 will sound more congested compare to the es7.

I don't think the d1001 will sound the same as the es7 either, but are popular in the bass area.

The only other headphones I can think of that might be of interest are some ultrasone or phiaton.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 10
I owned the ES7 & the D1001 at the same time, i don't think the D1001 is what you're looking for. It's not as fun as the ES7. It's not a bright or an analytical headphone but i've always thought its sound was somewhat thin and congested. The ES7 is darker and has better body and impact. Its imaging is also more realistic and involving.
I also heard the ESW9 recently but i suspect it was a fake as it didn't sound like a $200 headphone.
I agree with the M50 recommandation based on what i've read.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 10
For fun headphones es7 are great at what it does. 

I guess I should say if you can extend you budget to $200, it will open up a lot of other recommendation such as the denon D2000/D1100 or senneiser hd25-1 II.

The senneiser hd25-1 II seems to be popular in the portable for affordable/quality ratio.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Owning the ES7, M50, and Creative Aurvana Live (you all know it's practically a rebadged Denon D1001) at the same time, I can say this:

The ES7 sounds like the M50's little brother, with a slightly more aggressive high end and brighter signature, but not by much. The CAL/D1001 compares to the two but is warmer than both (but not overly warm, I'd say juuuust right), and sounds a bit more polite/relaxed than the AT's in the high end...

I'd say that if you love the ES7, the M50s will fulfill your needs, with more comfort, bigger sound, but without that ES7 portability and aesthetics...

If you want warmer, and more laid back, the CAL/D1001 will suit you fine.

All three deliver thumpy bass, but I'd say the ES7 is the 'fastest'. The treble is also the sharpest... but again, not by much compared to the M50, and the CAL/D1001's treble is crisp yet smooth.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Owning the ES7, M50, and Creative Aurvana Live (you all know it's practically a rebadged Denon D1001) at the same time, I can say this:

The ES7 sounds like the M50's little brother, with a slightly more aggressive high end and brighter signature, but not by much. The CAL/D1001 compares to the two but is warmer than both (but not overly warm, I'd say juuuust right), and sounds a bit more polite/relaxed than the AT's in the high end...

I'd say that if you love the ES7, the M50s will fulfill your needs, with more comfort, bigger sound, but without that ES7 portability and aesthetics...

If you want warmer, and more laid back, the CAL/D1001 will suit you fine.

All three deliver thumpy bass, but I'd say the ES7 is the 'fastest'. The treble is also the sharpest... but again, not by much compared to the M50, and the CAL/D1001's treble is crisp yet smooth.

good job lol. Exactly, you hit the nail on it's head.  That's exactly what I was trying to say.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I didn't 'technically' own the M50 at the same time, but I did sell it to my roomie. I always had access to it, and compared the three quite a few times...or a million.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Really depends on personal tastes and what you prefer listening to. I have both the ES7 and ESW9A right now and do some comparisons for you if you have a particular sort of music you like.

As much as I like the ES7's they were not that comfortable over long periods (even with the "bend mod"), whereas the ESW9A's are infinitely better. The type of music I find the ESW9A's excel in are music where vocals are strong (in particular female vocals i.e. Eva Cassidy).

I do not think the D1001 (or the D2000 for that matter) are what you're after if you like the sound signature of ES7's. I haven't heard the M50's myself but it seems like a good bet too based on the comments here.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Thank you for all the response guys, I really appreciate it =D. After reading through your responses, I think I'm going to stick with another pair of ES7s most likely. I have actually located an acquaintance who owns M50s though, so I will ask him if I can take a listen to those before I make my final decision. It seems like the D1001, although it would really shine with some of my music, wouldn't be what I'm looking for. One of the things I liked the most about the ES7s was how pretty much all the music I put into it sounded great, so I'm going to try and stick to something that has as similar acoustic properties as possible. If the M50s can alleviate some of that headband stuff, I'd be very much up for looking into it as an alternative, so thank you for the suggestion.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 10

soundeffect said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my opinion the es7 doesn't sound warm through my pair.  I also believe the esw9a will not sound similar to the es7, base on what I read.  If you are looking for warmth thne esw9a seems to fit your bill.  If you don't mind larger size, what about the M50?  They are more laid back, refined, and warmer sounding then the es7.  Bass is bigger, deeper, better bass extension, but not as impactful.  The only thing is the M50 will sound more congested compare to the es7.

I don't think the d1001 will sound the same as the es7 either, but are popular in the bass area.

The only other headphones I can think of that might be of interest are some ultrasone or phiaton.

Thanks for your effort! I got more deep understanding about this part, It's helpful to me, It's comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back