HPs for FPS (+ dolby headphone). RX700/900,CAL!, DR-150, HD555...
Nov 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #16 of 24
Well I've owned Goldring DR150 and Creative Aurvana Live!  Also have the JVC HA-RX700.

I do most of my gaming with Dolby Headphone, which will affect my opinion.  When using Dolby Headphone a small, neutral soundstage is actually beneficial (as Dolby Headphone includes soundstage cues).  Of the three, I was most impressed by the DR150s.  They make excellent gaming headphones (with DH - not so much without).  I found synergy with Dolby Headphone to be below par on the CAL! and HA RX-700.

Alternatively, Goldring's NS1000s offer the best Dolby Headphone synergy I've heard in a closed headphone (I mention them as they're price competitive with the other headphones you're looking at).  Incidentally - I would say the NS1000 utterly outclass both the CAL! and RX-700 as gaming headphones with DH.

To get Dolby Headphone on the 360, you would need something like a Victor SU-DH1 (I recommend Victor over JVC, as you can use an AC adaptor with the Victor) or Astro Mixamp.  I prefer the SU-DH1 as it has 3 Dolby Headphone modes, giving a bit more user choice.  The mixamp has just one Dolby Headphone mode.

I will say one thing about the CAL!s though.  They're really comfortable.  The Goldring DR150s can be a bit clampy, especially when new.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 24
Interesting...I think the EarForce DSS should work. I'll try to find it cheap and maybe I get the Goldrings.
But I've also read very good opinions with dolby headphone with headphones with a very large soundstage, like AD700 or AKG 701/702.
I'll wait for some RX900 opinions ( please read the last message on page 1) too, because maybe I can't get the DH adapter.

Anyway, if I can't get the DH adapter how would you rate CAL! vs RX700 when gaming and listening to music?

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 24
I've read in more than one place that the other two Dolby Headphone modes are terrible which is why DH2 is the one used in all current equipment over the JVC SU-DH1. DH1 was too small and constricted, and DH3 was too echoey and distant.

As for the CAL for music, they are on par with the M50s for me. About 95% similar with a slightly more relaxed sound signature, but with more depth and soundstage. They are great for music, IMHO. If the Denon D1001's popularity is any indication to how well the parts the CAL is made of, then you can see that it isn't popular for nothing.

Like I said, I'm mostly a DH gamer, and found huge soundstages to really help vs closed soundstages. Using my K701 in FPS games like CoD is like having a hack where I can see through walls, because I can literally hear exactly where in my 360 degree soundfield the sound others make is coming from.

That being said, the closed headphones would probably perform the best if you're speaking of just audio intimacy, as everything is more or less in your face so you KNOW in which direction everything is... hard to explain.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 24
I used DH years ago from a receiver for watching movies, and this is exactly how I recall the differences between DH1, DH2, and DH3. 

Quote:
I've read in more than one place that the other two Dolby Headphone modes are terrible which is why DH2 is the one used in all current equipment over the JVC SU-DH1. DH1 was too small and constricted, and DH3 was too echoey and distant.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 24

Just a head up. The ear force DSS seems to have had a recent price drop on amazon. I might be ordering one soon to use with my RX700s and PS3. http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr. Oscuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting...I think the EarForce DSS should work. I'll try to find it cheap and maybe I get the Goldrings.
But I've also read very good opinions with dolby headphone with headphones with a very large soundstage, like AD700 or AKG 701/702.
I'll wait for some RX900 opinions ( please read the last message on page 1) too, because maybe I can't get the DH adapter.

Anyway, if I can't get the DH adapter how would you rate CAL! vs RX700 when gaming and listening to music?

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #22 of 24
Holy cow, I feel like getting one too...

Must be because the new Mixamp 5.8 is coming out and is gonna definitely take sales away from the DSS considering it's $99 introductory price.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #24 of 24
To be honest, no matter what headphones I use, I don't hear other's Ninja Pro footsteps, but I can hear my own when using Ninja Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back