HPs for FPS (+ dolby headphone). RX700/900,CAL!, DR-150, HD555...
Oct 30, 2010 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sr. Oscuro

New Head-Fier
I have ksc75's but they are not very comfortable and I'd want a better SQ.
I'm mostly an xbox 360 gamer and I listen to some electronic music (deadmau5,Daft Punk), indie/rock (The hives, 3 doors down, Foo fighters, Fall out boy) and other groups like The Bloodhound Gang. The source is a pc with spotify premium/320kpbs mp3 and an xbox 360. I'd use an itouch 4gen too.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck headphone, with a wide, but detailed/clear soundstage, good SQ and comfortable. My budget is about 60-90€ (Maybe higher ).
My problem is that I live in europe so the prices here aren't that good and some models ara unavailable, so try to consider that.

My thoughts are:
-JVC RAX900 - 60€ / RX700 35€ + modding
-Goldring DR150 - 60€
-Superlux hd 668 b - 47€ . I've heard good things about them (excellent price), but don't know if they'll be better than the JVC's.
There are other (also more expensive, but better?) models available, but don't know anything about them (HD 662, HD 660)
-Creative aurvana - 60€
-Modded HD555's - 80€

At first AD700 were my choice, but they get too expensive with p&p. Beyerdynamic's are too expensive for my budget too. So I'd like something similar but cheaper.

PS: My pc has a realtek HD soundcard but I'm considering to buy an auzentech forte/bravura.
I'm also considering to buy for my xbox: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1288468039&sr=8-8

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 24
I wouldn't say that the Creative Aurvana has a good soundstage, but rather a good one for CLOSED headphones. They will pale in comparison to open headphones like the AD700.

I think you should go with the HARX700 as it's the open JVC that people mod for gaming purposes. I'd go with the Creative Aurvana Live only if you need to keep sound from leaking.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Superlux HD668b has pretty good soundstage and imaging. Maybe not as good as AD700, but then AD700 is a open headphone, while superlux hd668b is semi-open. Superlux HD660 is a close one, so the soundstage isn't as good as HD668b although HD660 did sounded much more smoother and neutral.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
I wouldn't say that the Creative Aurvana has a good soundstage, but rather a good one for CLOSED headphones. They will pale in comparison to open headphones like the AD700.

I think you should go with the HARX700 as it's the open JVC that people mod for gaming purposes. I'd go with the Creative Aurvana Live only if you need to keep sound from leaking.

Aren't the RX700 closed? I've heard that they have a more balanced sound than the RX900. How good is their soundstage?
I may bought them if modding them improves them a lot. I've read bad opinions of them for gaming at stock.

I'll consider the superlux, but I've read some complains about them in rock music. And that they need an amp too.

Finally, I've read very positive reviews of the Goldring's when it comes to music, but I don't know how they are for gaming.

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 24
The perhaps I meant the RX900. Whichever is the open version is the one I'd choose. I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser sound, but perhaps the 555 modded into 595 sound would be a prime choice too? The 595s are usually tossed in the mixed when comparing decent headphones against the AD700.

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
The perhaps I meant the RX900. Whichever is the open version is the one I'd choose. I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser sound, but perhaps the 555 modded into 595 sound would be a prime choice too? The 595s are usually tossed in the mixed when comparing decent headphones against the AD700.

The RX700/900 are both semi open the 900 is supposed to be slightly more open but the difference isn't that big. Also having more soundstage does not denote better for gaming. It usually doesn't hurt but positional to your ears is more important in FPS. In MMO's and RTS's I almost always suggest immersion to soundstage which for me can only be achieved with closed back headphones. Semi- Open phones are usually pretty good at both, or mediocre at everything depending on how you look at it, and the RX700 which I own is very good.

I will say this like I do in every RX700/900 thread is that they are very large, and you might not like the size or the weight. I myself have upgraded for comfort to the Sony MDR-XB500 which to my ears sound better and are much lighter then my JVC's. I usually play RTS's and they do those games a great amount of justice.

Creative Aurvana's are also very good, they house the same drivers as Denon D1001 which are $150 headphones in similar housings so they sound similar and the sonic differences are minimal. They are closed but they leak a bit and the soundstage isn't crampt like people tend to think of when they think of closed headphones. IF you ask me these will give you the most bang for your buck and are in direct competition with the Grado SR60i's which if you only listened to music I would suggest those.

Once again having a large soundstage isn't optimal because after a certain point it becomes to much. Point in case, K701/702's they have massive exaggerated soundstage that sounds a bit on the false side. Most music can't even fill the void that those headphones create likewise most games will use it much less. The AD700's are very good in FPS's though their positional is superior and the soundstage is large enough to accommodate the most hectic of games.

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 24
The AD700 is the headphones you described in your original post. I used to own it. The RX700 and RX900 are semi-closed, mostly closed with small slits in the back cups - only viewable if you open up the headphones. I own these. The presentation of the RX900 is further away - which is often preferred for gaming - but I found it harder to get to sound right. The RX700 is the better buy, but it needs adequate amplification and modification. Your new sound card may be enough - or buy an amp instead. I don't recall reading about the DR150 being used for gaming. But the Creative Aurvana Live! has been mentioned as being good for positional gaming. I've owned it too (modded) and easily prefer my modded and amped RX700 - but then I don't game.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 24
Yes, for rock music you'll find Superlux HD668b and HD660 too smooth. But for pop/classic/opera/jazz? hell yeah! HD668b is rated @ 56ohm while HD660 is @ 150 ohm, so yeah, need some juice to get them sounded the best. They scaling good with amp.

Quote:
Quote:

Aren't the RX700 closed? I've heard that they have a more balanced sound than the RX900. How good is their soundstage?
I may bought them if modding them improves them a lot. I've read bad opinions of them for gaming at stock.

I'll consider the superlux, but I've read some complains about them in rock music. And that they need an amp too.

Finally, I've read very positive reviews of the Goldring's when it comes to music, but I don't know how they are for gaming.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 24
@Mad Lust Envy I'll consider the modded 555's if I can get them 2nd hand. Are they bassier than AD700?

@SoSpecial I'm a FPS player.

@1Time So would the RX700 with proper amplification and modification be better or similar than the RX900 modded, even for gaming?
And how do they compare to the AD700? 
Do you prefer them over the Aurvana's in gaming performance too?

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 24
I haven't used the 555s or 595s but I hear they have SLIGHTLY more bass than the AD700, but smaller soundstage.

Just wanna respond about the Creative Aurvana Live. They make GREAT gaming headphones, and I'd have no problem using them every day. I prefer their overall sound over the AD700s, though the AD700s are the clear victor gaming-wise. Just expect slightly beter than typical closed headphone performance, but not as good as open.

As for K701/2 with gaming, I ONLY use them with Dolby Headphone which makes FANTASTIC use of their exagerrated soundstage. I dunno how they perform in regular stereo, but I'm not alone in saying that the K701/2 is a nearly perfect headphone for DH gaming. The AD700 still performs better, but the K701 is literally 95% of the performance, and 300% of the overall sound quality, IMHO.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 24
I have RX700 and ATH AD900, also had 668B, for gaming I would say that 668B would do very well, the bass slam hard (which is needed for explosion) and everything beside vocal is very clear and detailed, but it's not exactly comfortable and my ears would starting to sweat after about 15-30 minutes usage. It settle well later on though. I sold mine because it was sounding very dry for music and the laid back nature of the vocal turn me off....

Now between RX700 and AD900, For me I prefer my RX700 for everything, be it gaming or music (to my surprise, since I bought AD900 after RX700). Simply because the lack of bass in AD900 compared to RX700, if AD700 is anything like my AD900 but with less bass I don't doubt that I will decide to sell mine the moment I put them on my head. 

For comfort AD900/700 wins hand down though, no contest.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 24
As a DR150 user myself, the sound quality is great, far better than most in that price range, but I don't really see them as gaming headphones.

The sound is to in-your-face to get the upper hand I find.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 24
I feel the same way. The DR150 is nothing special when it comes to gaming, I would pick the AD700 over the DR150 for gaming anytime backed when I owned both. OTOH the DR150 would be a very good choice for your musical preferences. Honestly I don't know if any of these headphones will completely satisfy you for both of your needs, but I'm thinking the CAL might at least be a decent compromise based on what you're looking for.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 24
Thanks for all your answers!

This are my conclusions:
Well yeah, DR150 were an option due to its performance in music but didn't know about gaming performance. I won't get them.

RX700 are a good choice for both gaming and music due to it's equilibrated sound, good bass for electronic music and price. I've heard their sound is muddy but I think it can be solved with modding. They also get benefits with amping. They're so cheap, so I think I'll give them a try. The only cons are comfort and "stock" quality.

The Aurvanas have been an excellent surprise. I'll probably get them although I get 555's or RX700 due to its portability.

Cheap modded 555's would be my other option If I find them cheap. Their performance in gaming is quite good. If I don't take them its because of their "lack" of bass for my music likes. I'll read more reviews I think.

Another question:
Most of my candidates are closed, semi-closed cans. If I don't like closed sound, my options are limited to sennheisers or there's another 100$ full open can good for both gaming and music?

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 24
Since I can't get HD555's at the moment (I finally decided to get HD555 + RX700) I have to consider RX900 again.
A friend is ordering the CALs, so I'll try them, but I think I'll get the RX900 since they have an equal or better SQ and a wider soundstage than the CAL!, and same imaging (correct me if I'm wrong)

But I have doubts when it comes to listening to music. I like the sound to be very transparent (I don't like muddy/mully sound). I enjoy higs and mids in rock but also want the bass to be deep and detailed in electronic, but don't want it to be exagerated and feel like higs/mids are recessed. So I don't know If the RX900 will be enough transparent and If they'll sound too dark for me. Don't want excessive bass over mids/highs, and don't want it to be bloated/boomy. This was the reason I prefered the RX700, which are more balanced.

To give you a reference, I like my ksc75, but feel like something is missing and are not enough transparent.

Sorry if my description of sound is not very accurate :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back