How will it feel going from stock ipod earphones to M50s?
Jul 26, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 53
For me the m50's sound great on my macbook and slightly but still noticeably less so on my iphone. Still if your moving up from stock apple earphones I think you'll be really pleased. I started looking for something better than stock apple buds and bought the shure se210's and the sennheiser hd202's, looking back I wish I just bought the m50's. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #32 of 53
Exactly. u will first be like: what the ?!! ppl spend $1000 on headphones? they are crazy.. after you join head fi. u will be like: **** that's too normal and I gonna give it a try myself. be ready to move your wallet.

Quote:
And after that you will wonder how would your headphone sound with an amp, how other headphones sound like, and so on... and your wallet will hate you forever.

But yeah, welcome to head-fi 
dt880smile.png

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #35 of 53

Quote:
Imo, m50s are overrated. Just tried both the SR80i and the ATH M50.
I prefer the SR80i sound. Also, the M50 clamps too tight.

:s

Gl with yours.

Haha usually it's me with the obligatory Grado post but you came out of nowhere lol

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #36 of 53
I don't own any Grados so I'd like to think of my assessment as a fair one :)
One might argue that I have untrained ears but I honestly think that the SR80i's
outperformed the M50s in a noisy environment. The M50 just felt too lifeless.

Sorry :p

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #37 of 53
I have a small head so I'm not sure the clamping will be a problem. And hah, it's fine. :p We're all entitled to our opinions here. Still excited for them though - they're coming in 2 days ON MY BIRTHDAY as well. :D 

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #38 of 53
Hey happy birthday man!

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 53

Quote:
Imo, m50s are overrated. Just tried both the SR80i and the ATH M50.
I prefer the SR80i sound. Also, the M50 clamps too tight.

:s

Gl with yours.

Wow trolling?

Your first pair of cans will be a life changing experience!

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #40 of 53
Happy birthday in advance, OP.

Quote:
I don't own any Grados so I'd like to think of my assessment as a fair one
smily_headphones1.gif

One might argue that I have untrained ears but I honestly think that the SR80i's
outperformed the M50s in a noisy environment. The M50 just felt too lifeless.

Sorry
tongue.gif

Wait, what?

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #42 of 53
Speaking of 1k headphones, I have, on occasion, confused myself into believing I was listening to my LCD-2s while having the M50s on. Doesn't happen very often, but there you go.

And yes, M50 will sound like crap right out of an iphone. But with a good amp + dac? Surprisingly good.

Quote:
Exactly. u will first be like: what the ?!! ppl spend $1000 on headphones? they are crazy.. after you join head fi. u will be like: **** that's too normal and I gonna give it a try myself. be ready to move your wallet.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #43 of 53
ooh, a M50 thread

I'd like to add my input on the M50:

I've owned this for a few years, the straight cable version. They along with the AD700 was my first step into audiophilia. I've bought other headphones after I began the hobby.
They have a bassy, yet clean sound. Most of my friends, if not all whom I've shown my headphone collection prefer the M50 (even over the HD800), as it has a clean sound while being bassy and it works for most modern pop music, rnb, hip-hop, etc.

Coming from iPod earbuds, these were like heaven. However, I've been growing old of them, and I'm rarely using them these days, they do have their disadvantages; soundstage comes to mind. I am thinking about selling them sadly. But they're not overrated, but I think these are one of the best pair of headphones one can use as a step into audiophilia.

EDIT: I think they sound good from an iPhone, but we all have different opinions. It does sound far better with amp + dac.

EDIT2: I'd like to add that the M50 outclasses the SR80i in almost every comparison; detail, soundstage, enjoyment. I use the Grados for rock/hard rock/blues/metal that has a strong emphasis on the guitar, they give a unique colored sound. But the M50 isn't bad on the aforementioned genres.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #45 of 53

Quote:
Holy crap, just got em and I'm not even kidding, second I put them on and put on some music I could feel myself smiling cheesily. xD This is awesome! :p 

The first time that i put them on i was dancing in my room with a big smile on my face...
This was until i discovered DJ1...
L3000.gif

The smile became larger...
Enjoy them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back