How will it feel going from stock ipod earphones to M50s?
Jul 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

sherrybearlove

New Head-Fier
Never owned a pair of good quality headphones in my LIFE. Haven't even listened to them. So I'm wondering if I'll experience something life changing or if it's something that's really subtle. I don't want to hype myself too much only to get underwhelmed so I thought I would get your opinions. xD Have no idea what to expect though.
Oh, AND I'm not getting an amp for it or anything since my wallet is suffering as it is. xD Plugging it directly into my laptop/ipod touch.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 53
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562214/were-the-ath-m50s-a-good-choice

That is the thread I started for when I first upgraded from stock buds to the M50s. It should tell you everything you need to know and expect.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 53
It's like eating raisin bran your whole life and then discovering corn pops

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 53

Quote:
Never owned a pair of good quality headphones in my LIFE. Haven't even listened to them. So I'm wondering if I'll experience something life changing or if it's something that's really subtle. I don't want to hype myself too much only to get underwhelmed so I thought I would get your opinions. xD Have no idea what to expect though.
Oh, AND I'm not getting an amp for it or anything since my wallet is suffering as it is. xD Plugging it directly into my laptop/ipod touch.

First what you must do is listen to your standard apple earphones for 20 seconds. Then obtain your decent quality headphones - (e.g.ath-m50's/ad700) And you will hear the difference. 

It's not just life changing, it's life ruining WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 53

Quote:

No - it's like eating vegemite/marmite all your life and then finding out about jam/peanut butter/nutella etc

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 53

Quote:
No - it's like eating vegemite/marmite all your life and then finding out about jam/peanut butter/nutella etc

Oh my god, I tried vegemite the other day. I seriously wonder how people can comfortably eat that stuff. XD

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 53
In my opinion the biggest "wow" you'll ever get is when you go from unamped to amped.

Remeber that a real "wow" only comes once or at least doesn't last for very long. You get used to everything.

It's how much you really enjoy and want to listen to your gear in the long run that really matters.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 53
just to tag along Im gonna make an anology haha

It's like eating Cinnabon all the time then discovering the wonders of Monkey Bread.
Quote:

but on a serious note youll be amazed on what youve been missing out on
dt880smile.png

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 53

Quote:
just to tag along Im gonna make an anology haha

It's like eating Cinnabon all the time then discovering the wonders of Monkey Bread.

but on a serious note youll be amazed on what youve been missing out on
dt880smile.png

I can't believe you just compared Cinnabon to iBuds.  Do you hate hifi or lack a tongue?

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 53
That will be the biggest night and day difference if there ever was one.  The stock apple earbuds have a bass rolloff that starts at around 200hz and goes steeply downward-- their bass reproduction is nonexistent.  The M50s are known for extending very low, so the major thing you'll notice is tons of new bass information in  virtually every song you listen to.  You'll of course get the same night and day experience with other headphones that have lots of low end (like bose or beats by dre)  but the M50 will give you a clearer musical experience than those.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 53
You're fine without an amp for the M50, no worries. The first revelation you'll have is, "Wow, I now need to re-listen to my entire library." Your second revelation will be, "I need to get better music quality."

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 53
Neither. I only compared the two because imo Monkey bread >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cinnabon. Therefore I placed Cinnabon in the place of the ibuds.

Quote:

I can't believe you just compared Cinnabon to iBuds.  Do you hate hifi or lack a tongue?

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 53

Quote:
Remeber that a real "wow" only comes once or at least doesn't last for very long. You get used to everything.

I disagree. My 225is still wow me on a daily basis, and I've had them for months. I think its about finding the right sound for you. When you find it, it should wow you all the time. I guess I got lucky when I started with Grados. They just sound fantastic to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back