How to rip 24/96 using dbpoweramp?
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AppleDappleman

100+ Head-Fier
I've been ripping all my cds as Flac Lossless on DBpoweramp. 

Now that I look at the details all of them show it was ripped at 16/44 instead of 24/96. Am I missing something? After downloading some tracks off of HDtracks is when i realized it. 

Is that as high CDs can go? Do I need to get the SACD version if I want 24/96? (or anything higher than that? I think thats the highest but someone correct me.)

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Yes CDs only go to 16/44.1. CDs with HDCD encoding are 20/48 when decoded. When ripped by DBpoweramp with the HDCD plugin the file will show up as a 24 bit file, but 4 bits are padded. SACDs and DVD-Audio offer 24/96 and 24/192.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes CDs only go to 16/44.1. CDs with HDCD encoding are 20/48 when decoded. When ripped by DBpoweramp with the HDCD plugin the file will show up as a 24 bit file, but 4 bits are padded. SACDs and DVD-Audio offer 24/96 and 24/192.

HDCD is actually 20bit 44.1KHz when decoded

SACD isn't "24/96, 24/192 etc" it's done a different way but yes it offers a similar resolution and also in direct digital rips the output is usually 24/88.2 (nature of the DSD to PCM converters used)

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Do I need to get the SACD version if I want 24/96?

As has been said above, SACD rips are usually done at 24/88.2. Note however that you need a modded SACD player or a Playstation 3 with some special software in order to digitally rip SACDs. Also, most SACDs come with a CD-DA layer that can be played back (and ripped) on normal CD hardware, but then you're not getting the higher definition content, just the normal CD content.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Over the weekend I received my 2nd hand PS3 OFW 3.55 and struggled to put CFW 3.55 and sacd_ripper on it. Finally I've ripped up a couple of my SACDs into ISO then using sacd_extract to DFF files. It's approx 20 mins per SACD for ripping and added time need to extract out each DFF.

On Audirvana Plus (A+) there's some clicking sounds, but less apparent on Korg's AudioGate. Both AudioGate and A+ can convert down to whatever format and sampling rate you like.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Over the weekend I received my 2nd hand PS3 OFW 3.55 and struggled to put CFW 3.55 and sacd_ripper on it. Finally I've ripped up a couple of my SACDs into ISO then using sacd_extract to DFF files. It's approx 20 mins per SACD for ripping and added time need to extract out each DFF.

On Audirvana Plus (A+) there's some clicking sounds, but less apparent on Korg's AudioGate. Both AudioGate and A+ can convert down to whatever format and sampling rate you like.

*looks over at a friends ps3*/*looks over at a stack of classical music audiocds*
*sighs* naaah....where would I get so much space.

May 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Sample Rate Conversion would improve a CD with todays harware very capable of doing that...you would benefit from 64 bit windows 7....Sony Sound Forge Pro, r8tbrain do it now but you have to pay. Look at a article in "The Absolute Sound" magazine, they did a 4 part survey from Dec 2011 to March 2012 on Computer Music Audio Quality. It is the best info for getting the maximum benefit out of CD's, computer and software.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 10
So is it definitive that it would be beneficial when making flacs to upsample to 24/96.

The hifiman HD 802 or something says it plays flac files back through its DAC, decoding them into 24/96.

If you were to use this feature would you want flacs that were compressed at that level or flacs that were at CD quality. Many of these discussions I've been reading online
end with a consensus that its best to capture CD-audio in its original resolution and rate.  This thread ends quite different and I'm wondering if you guys could clarify, I find this
issue fascinating, and have also wondered weather or not the 802 would be a desirable product.  If not for flacs at 24/96 it sounds like playing .wavs back sounds amazing and would
be such a great source of the audio one listens to.

Thanks, like the tread.....still on EAC, curious about dbpowerAMPs flac compression. 

So I've bought dBpoweramp.  So I should use the two DSPs recommended?  The high def cd plug in just detects if the cd can be ripped at a higher rate and will give you consistent 24 bit flacs as outputs?   Or .wavs if not compressing?   Curious..with EAC it was all about command line switches, I like this new program.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 10
I've used DVDfab and for everything but music it is great.  PS3s, copy protected blu rays to dvds this software is commercial but was so impressive I bought the lifetime upgrade version and immediately archive all my PS3 games blu rays and dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back