How To Get Over My Slightly Additive IEM Hobby?
Apr 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #46 of 61
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't affect your social life in a major way. High School is mostly about social development and learning how to operate within the education/business worlds. If you're passionate about headphones and gear go for it. It seems the innovators of any particular area (audio, literature, science) come from people who are bonkers for their field. IMO finding what you like doing is 70% of the battle, the other 30% is figuring out how to pay the bills with it. It seems like you're already head and shoulders above most folks (in terms of business connections and knowledge) so I'd say let everything else fall into place. Who knows, maybe one of those companies will ask you if you're interested in working there. If you're consumer impulse at 15 is amps and cans, it's much better than a lot of other stuff and it hold more value than say, a skydiving or clothing habit. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #48 of 61
"at 15 there are alot of low cost things you could be doing - including your girl friends best friends"

not a typo or grammar error - read it slowly and call her best friend

Sadly, that's what I was suspecting you'd say. I'm not sure I'd agree, nor would I say it's the right choices to be encouraging.
But yes, it should then be "girlfriend's best friends", to indicate that they are the best freinds of the girlfriend. :p

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #50 of 61
I had a hard time with the immediate stop of IEM buying. Especially when there are so many deals out there. For example: I reshelled my TF10s and dished out a lot of money on them (I'd rather not say how much I spent) but LOVVVED them. I eventually came to the conclusion that no other IEM could compare. Listening to my SE535s made them sound muffled compared to my customs (due to the precise and sparkling highs). So I thought that there could be no other IEMs I could buy that would top my Customs. THEN Monster releases the Copper and Gold refurbished deals... My wallet weeped and weeped until no end... So I do have to admit, getting the best will get you through MANY months without buying IEMs for a while. I do have to admit giving it up costs as much as sticking to it, but you'll get out of it. If you do get the Miles Davis Tributes, you probably will end up going deeper. Just dish out all your money on something phenomenal. Not saying MT Miles Davis Tributes are bad. As a previous owner of them I know. But your curiosity will eventually give in to find out what better IEMs there are.

However, the withdrawal sucks... You sometimes give in. It's kind of like a drug addition. Except my choice of drug is... IEMs!

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #51 of 61
Agreed... Once you have the best you will not be buying anything else because they would not improve your listening experience. To satisfy your curiosity of finding out how other earphones sound, just meet up with more people who own different earphones and try them out. That way you spend nothing and end up with more friends.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #52 of 61
Actually Ill give you some real advice:

1.  If you want the best, buy a JH audio piece of gear and be done with IEMs.

2. If you want resell and better while gaining a custom feel - buy a pair of Westone UM 56 and stick it on the many IEMs it will fit (pretty sure all westone and shure) and be able to resale IEMs easier

I do want you to know that a $2000 investment will go farthest in a small 2.0 or 2.1 room versus headphones or IEMs,  but thats only if you have the room for it and will take a day to put in treatments.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #53 of 61

Quote:
there are worse things to be addicted to.....

Like crystal meth 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding. But really, an IEM addiction isn't going to kill you. It will just end up costing you money. A good way to lessen the blow to the wallet, besides staying off Head-fi, is to sell your old IEMs that you don't really like and look for deals on the For Sale forum. Lots of people are doing the same thing you're doing: trying out lots of different IEMs and then getting back almost as much money as they spent by selling the ones they don't like. The best thing about buying used gear is that you can usually sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it. By contrast, new gear depreciates significantly the moment you crack open the box.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #54 of 61

Quote:
And yes, visiting Head-Fi and listnining to IEM's really improved my quality of life. I found out about quality audio and new ways to listen to it. I guess it could be called more of a hobby then an addiction.

Haha, I always wish I'd never discovered Head-fi. Audiophilia is a curse, not a blessing 
etysmile.gif
 Ignorance is bliss

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #55 of 61

Quote:
and who knows... you can be the next reviewer for IEMs over here beside |joker| and CleOS....

And there's no shame in that. They are both significant contributors to the head-fi community

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #56 of 61

Quote:
Join a fight club?

Don't talk about it.
wink.gif

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with that. Just...spend more time with your girlfriend while you still have her. You're doing better than most of us your age.
tongue_smile.gif

And don't buy customs yet unless you like remolding, which I'm sure you're aware of.

And from the looks of it, you really aren't addicted, or anything like that. I mean you have...6 IEM's (Albeit high end for the most part) with 2 more on the way. That's not that bad, especially compared to a lot of us. I'm 16, and look at my profile for gear I own. xD

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 61
Method 1
1. Become an IEM junkie - spend all the money you have on your IEM cravings
2. Become homeless - realize you've burned a ton of cash and your addiction lead you to your predicament
3. Check yourself into a clinic/rehab/support groups - IEMs Anonymous
4. Stay away from here and live a clean, IEM-free life

Method 2
1. Stop buying
2. Seriously just cut it out
3. Live your happy youthful days without any weird fetishes/addictions lol

Method 3
1. Prove you are the best reviewer of all time hands-down
2. Get to demo or even keep some gear upon release from manufacturers for you to review
3. Bliss

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #58 of 61
When I was around your age I was spending a lot of money on computer gear, but I always had to sell stuff to be able to afford something new. My parants weren't happy, but OTOH they prevered me spending my money for geek stuff then alcohol or drugs...

I still managed to pull through. A lot of things changed since then an nowadays youngsters seem to spend a lot more money then "we" did when we were young.

Maybe just one thing I can really say that will be a little advice: Try to enjoy your gear and try to understand the purpose of it - I am not trying to be a teacher here, but we all end up spending more money on hifi gear then the music for it - so maybe you want to go and get more music, listen and try new stuff and lock your computer and head-fi away when you do so :)

Other than that, don't take it too serious sooner or later it will get serious when you dont need or want it :)

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #59 of 61
As long as your passions aren't destructive, follow them where they lead you.  The most successful individuals throughout history have harnessed their passions with perseverance and hard work to develop skills that helped to change the world.  Mozart, Einstein, Alexander, Edison, Van Gogh, Beethoven, Tesla, Dirac, Newton, etc., etc.

On the other hand, if you really want to cut back on this hobby, put everything away for awhile, stop looking at head-fi, and fill the resulting vacuum with something else.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #60 of 61
try your best to just listen to some music and actually enjoying it. There was also a point a while back when I was so obsessed with the sound quality of the headphones that I actually forgot how great listening to MUSIC was. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back