How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Jun 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #586 of 1,153

Quote:
Just as a general note to those using this method. The human ear has a natural bump in the 2-5 kHz region, and likely your headphones have one here, too. It might be too loud, but you shouldn't eliminate it entirely as this will throw off the balance. I previously made this mistake and wondered why everything sounded wrong. My current curves (which I mentioned in my previous post) incorporate this bump and I'm very happy with the results.

Could you post pictures of your EQ curves for the DT880? That would be interesting...

It would be good to see more mid-high end headphones equalization curves (more than 1 per headphone, preferably) so that people could get a better idea of each headphone's voice/tonal character.
Generally, I don't find written descriptions to do it with enough detail (understandably).

Here's my current EQ curve for the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro:

The GMP 450 Pro has a midforward character.
As you guys can see, I tried to cut much more than boost.
I tried to match all the frequency spectrum loudness to the least loud tone(s), the frequency extremes, but I'm worried that this might not be the best approach to do it...
With this curve, I have to raise the amplification power a bit on my Dac/Amp, won't the noise floor of the music be raised by doing so?
What do you guys think?

This curve is still improvable, the sub-bass might be to prominent and the upper treble section probably doesn't need such boost up to the 20KHz, since I don't hear much above 18 - 19KHz..

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #587 of 1,153

Quote:
Could you post pictures of your EQ curves for the DT880? That would be interesting...

It would be good to see more mid-high end headphones equalization curves (more than 1 per headphone, preferably) so that people could get a better idea of each headphone's voice/tonal character.
Generally, I don't find written descriptions to do it with enough detail (understandably).

Here's my current EQ curve for the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro:

The GMP 450 Pro has a midforward character.
As you guys can see, I tried to cut much more than boost.
I tried to match all the frequency spectrum loudness to the least loud tone(s), the frequency extremes, but I'm worried that this might not be the best approach to do it...
With this curve, I have to raise the amplification power a bit on my Dac/Amp, won't the noise floor of the music be raised by doing so?
What do you guys think?

This curve is still improvable, the sub-bass might be to prominent and the upper treble section probably doesn't need such boost up to the 20KHz, since I don't hear much above 18 - 19KHz..

You could shift the entire thing up maybe 3~4 dB and just cut out the peak from 18k+ (it doesn't do much).

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #588 of 1,153
Hmmh, equalization can totally correct "flawed" sonic balance, in my case of Brainwavz M2.
This makes these show all their excellent qualities that are masked by overblown bass...

Funny that w/ Hybrids (included) the highest frequency hump is completely out of proportion - gets extra 6 dB - and almost impossible to equalize.
Latest curve w/ Comply T-200 (not simplified yet):

Comply also round out the bass - it loses some harshness where not warranted. (What I call ringy bass.)

Note that I always attempt to keep 1kHz at 0 dB.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #589 of 1,153

Quote:

There you go... This is the EQ based on the Sin-Gen white sound generator... 

I had also wandered some time ago why are there no DT880 posts. And now I do understand why.. These phones perform so good by default, that EQ is almost unnecessary at all. It's the kind of coloration, that does magic on classical and life recordings...
HD600's for instance, were hardly tolerated without EQ , but DT880's are just overall awesome.
EQ made DT880's less sibilant, they it also killed DT's ability of bring all the detail to the single drop and making the performance so life like and exciting..
I don't find the end result worth it.

Maybe this EQ is't good, but I have always made EQ based on same method, white sound scanning and peak detection. And this method did magic on most cans. Not the case with DT880's.  

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #590 of 1,153
Thanks, AlexRoma.
Could you post the EQ curve for the HD600 to?

I would like to se more mid to high end headphone's EQ curve for the ourposes of flatness of FR and neutrality.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #591 of 1,153
Sennheiser HD600

BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm

BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm 

BeyerDynamic DT880 are my favorite headphone so far... The only one's I've tried that are good enough not to make you bother with Equalizer at all. HD600, on the other side, had the most benefit from EQ of the group.  

I think my ears have two rezonant regions. One on 3 Khz and the other on 6 khz... To much coincidence to consider it a headphone issue. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #594 of 1,153
Wow!  I literally haven't visited head-fi for years but this thread has got me interested again!  I consider myself a "veteran equalizer", starting with matching Sony EX70's FR to that of Ety 4Ps a decade ago using graphs from Etymotic's own sales literature
etysmile.gif
but somehow all these years I never heard of this "headphone-ear resonance" phenomenon.  But it all makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my EQ for the resonances I've found for the Philips SHE3580 IEMs (pictured in avatar) I'm using in lieu of busted (again) Ety 4Ps:

This is a rough shot at an all-round EQ for the headphones to even out other FR imbalances and/or cater to my tastes:

Note that I added a -1.58dB gain within Electri-Q itself to eliminate positive gain, which should eliminate clipping.  You can set a gain by adding a control point, right-clicking it and selecting Basic->Gain only.

These phones have always been very detailed with an overemphasis on the treble (I keep hearing stuff like hidden hi-hats and triangles that I never heard even with my Etys
basshead.gif
) but I've always had trouble taming the treble without making the music sound unnatural or too dark and yet still harsh at the same time.  Now I find that on many songs they sound more incredibly detailed and yet less harsh than before.  Things like trailing cymbals and audience applause also seem to have acquired a unique ambience that I haven't heard before.

One note I would like to make:

It's been mentioned before, but people in this thread haven't been taking this seriously: we do not perceive sounds at different frequencies with the same loudness.  Just take a look at any equal loudness contour chart, like this one from wikipedia:

You'll see that it's well documented that if you hear a sound at 20 and 2kHz as equal in loudness, they may actually be more than 50dB apart in actual SPL!!!
basshead.gif
eek.gif
  And this is the average reading from hundreds of subjects, the equal loudness contour for a single subject would probably be even more jagged.

Just about exactly ten years ago I wondered what music would sound like if I equalized all frequencies from my headphones to sound just as loud.  And I got the same kind of curve many of you are posting, going up a cliff towards the subbass end and down a big hole around 8000Hz.  And the result didn't sound remotely good.

I see a few of you writing stuff like "you have to learn that sound at high frequencies aren't louder, they are just more intense."  That smells to me a lot like you did the equal loudness EQ, found it sounds like cr*p, then tried to change the EQ by ear so that it sounds more balanced on real music, then listen to the sine sweep again and tried to convince yourself that "this" is what equal loudness sounds like.

I think the only accurate way of going about this would be to
1. Do the equal loudness EQ on a reference loudspeak system, starting with a fixed reference loudness at a fixed frequency (note that equal loudness contours differ for the same person for different loudnesses!), taking care to listen to all tones from your listening sweet spot;
2. Switch to headphones with the loudspeaker-equal-loudness EQ still activated, and chain a second EQ behind that and EQ for the headphones on the second EQ, taking care to start with the same reference loudness at the same frequency on the headphones as on the loudspeakers.  When you complete an equal-loudness EQ for the phones using this two-tier setup and then remove the first EQ in the chain, your headphones should have the same frequency response at your eardrums as the loudspeak setup, assuming you were consistent in your equal loudness judgements.  And to be consistent it's essential that you don't cheat yourself with thoughts like "this isn't louder, it's just more intense". Nor would you need to, since pulling out the first EQ at the end cancels out the unevenness in your equal loudness contour.

Alas, when I tried this with my loudspeaker setup I found that my non-treated room already causes strong resonances spaced less than 100Hz apart all throughout the frequency range, rendering sine sweep listening useless.  Maybe when I get to visit an anechoic chamber?

For now I try to avoid turning my equalizer into an equal loudness contour graph by only looking for sharp peaks beyond the 1kHz range while letting the general upslope in loudness from 1kHz up to lie however it may after taking out the peaks.  I recommend many of you to go back and try this minimal EQ again and see how you like it.  I think it would be better to just EQ by ear from this point forward (admitted this is easier done on a 10-band graphic equalizer than an infinitely customizable parametric EQ...)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #595 of 1,153

Quote:
You'll see that it's well documented that if you hear a sound at 20 and 2kHz as equal in loudness, they may actually be more than 50dB apart in actual SPL!!!
basshead.gif
eek.gif
  And this is the average reading from hundreds of subjects, the equal loudness contour for a single subject would probably be even more jagged.

Nice informative post Joe. Makes sense to me now why i didn't enjoy the EQing anything other than resonant frequency. The sound signature change did not seem to be natural for me. I know i am am noob in EQing. So ymmv.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #596 of 1,153
Great thread! Almost as long in the reading as in its writing. Some thoughts pop to mind:
Argyris said on the 6-14 (page 39) entry:
"Now somebody just needs to design a headphone amp with a built-in, high quality programmable parametric EQ that can be set by hooking it up to a computer and running its attendant software. To be clear, I'm not talking about a hardware EQ but an amp with a circuit devoted to processing any source signal with an EQ program stored in firmware. This EQ would need to have a lot of available bands. If such a thing exists, drop me a line because I'd love to check it out."

There is something .. sort of .. that meets these needs. Check out the miniDSP. It would technically do what you want, but functioning as just an EQ in your signal chain. I have a "2x4" on order, which I am planning to use to experiment as a active crossover for (two-way) Magnepan 1.6 QR speakers, active EQ for ancient Bose 901, and (why the hell not?) a headphone EQ. Even more, you can buy the add-on boards that have the digital interfaces, etc. From memory, you have several parametric EQs per channel and additional "plug-ins" offer different capabilities, I think there is even a traditional graphic EQ. Pretty cool, and about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a similar piece of gear, the Behringer DEQ2496. I like the concept of a programmable box that, once you set it up, just needs USB or DC power, and does its assigned DSP duty. You can add a pot to it, so you would have effectively a preamp with fixed EQ/delay/etc settings (unless you hook the PC up to it).

http://www.minidsp.com/

Consider the line dropped, Argyris ... if I can figure how to email you. Also, thanks for the point about the need for the equal-loudness contour. It seems to me the only way this would be achieved is if we had the Greisinger ear drum mics + an EQ done that takes into account the unique headphone and pair of ears that compose the listener. Surely this is technically possible, but complex. I know almost nothing about the science, but imagine a box like the miniDSP that had an EQ that knew about your headphones your ear response, and did all the frequency, time domain, phase of the moon, whatever voodoo in real time. Not for $99. Not this year!

Despite all the information presented in this thread, what if we do have to EQ objectively flat at the eardrum? This is David Griesinger's current belief [?] and just doing the pink noise thing is not enough:

"Recent work on headphone calibration [October 2008] - done partly with the students of Ville Pulkki at Helsinki University - has shown that all the types of headphones we tested have large variations in frequency response for different individuals AND that these differences make for very different perceptions of the sound quality of binaural recordings from halls. It is possible to compensate for these errors by matching headphones to listeners through noise band loudness matching. Thus before listening to the music examples in the above papers using headphones or typical computer speakers, please read the following: "The necessity of headphone equalization" This link has been substantially re-written. Simple loudness matching is not sufficient. A reference loudspeaker is required - and loudness differences must be compensated. " [http://www.davidgriesinger.com]

On the plus side, here is yet another method that just requires some more testing ... listen to a reference monitor and make a 2nd curve to subtract from the headphone EQ ... at least no eardrum mic needed yet. This makes sense. If the engineer is mixing on an objectively flat speaker system, his objectively equally loud (say) 200 Hz and 1000Hz will result in a greater 200Hz signal being on the program. It makes sense that I need a set of data showing my response to (ideally) the same monitor speakers, or best case, "good" monitors EQ'ed objectively flat. Then I get my own equal-loudness contour. OK, I think I have over-analyzed this enough for today!

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #597 of 1,153
Nice hardware there. I wonder what they use for AD/DA - whether that's actual audiophile quality and not some noisy junk.
MiniDSP working as dual stereo convolver (mono channel through stereo impulse into stereo output, then mixed with the result for the other channel's impulse) would be able to capture a lot of different effects. In fact, all linear time invariant ones, including crossfeed (due to dual impulses), reverb and equalization. Probably most room simulators too.
It wouldn't do compression, expanding, limiting or noise gate, since those aren't time-invariant.

By the way, loudness matching is good enough vs 1 kHz reference tone. No need to involve some reference speaker there, unless you're also trying to simulate some room response or speaker response, both of which should instead be captured separately and independently.

My flat EQ for Brainwavz M2 w/ Sennheiser small soft silicone single simple flange with wide nozzle; deep insertion; not yet completely reduced eq:

Note the funny 13.2k resonance balanced with 10k cut. These are obviously bass-boosted.
Deep insertion seems to affect phase accuracy of the sound for the better, regardless of equalization.
Bass quality is hugely improved by removing the wide hump, while timbre stays excellent.

--
The presentation at the second page is pure gold and matches my own experience.
Crossfeed adds the one missing part of sound: simple model of head shadowing. (sphere-based in case of Bauer's/Linkwitz/BS2B)
This improves sound localization a lot, moving it out of head and slightly reducing enhanced stereo.
All around improvement in coherency.

Missed the direct link: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/binaural_hearing.ppt
This paper concludes that the commonly available measurement heads are worthless above about 2 kHz. Exactly my experience.
To add insult to the injury, the bass measurement is also fit-dependent and has to be made with quiet surroundings. Errors of 6 dB magnitude have been found in another paper just due to fit on the head.

The useful charts at HeadRoom are the headphone difference (kind of, their measurements are quite reproducible), impulse responses and isolation vs pink noise source. Oh, and of course impedance.

Another that's more technical and why I don't like fake fast bass that some IEMs and many headphones emit: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/pitch3.doc
Specifically, the fast bass inteferes with reverberation and soundstaging.

Knowing the many artifacts of inaccurate sound is both a blessing and a curse...

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #598 of 1,153
Headphone equalizing for my Beyerdynamic DT 880 was successful. I modified AlexRoma's preset to my liking and added noise sharpening in Winamp. Result: Crispy but smoother highs
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #599 of 1,153
You mean noise shaping I hope - that shouldn't affect the sound much, maybe improve perceived SNR slightly. In case of 24bit output, this should be inaudible anyway - use that in preference to dithering.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #600 of 1,153
You mean noise shaping I hope - that shouldn't affect the sound much, maybe improve perceived SNR slightly. In case of 24bit output, this should be inaudible anyway - use that in preference to dithering.

That is what he ment, I suppose: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31899

Users who are viewing this thread

Back