How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #751 of 811
You could pm them, I'm sure they won't mind, as it's been a while since they did it so they might not be subscribed to/receive updates from that thread any longer.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #753 of 811

Quote:
True :)

I shall do that I think when I actually get the cups in front of me, as I can take pictures etc

Cheers!

Be sure to share this to us as well, including how you got those cups and cables XD

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #754 of 811
Cups and cables for only $80 from Lawton himself.

His got the cups dampened already too :D
Very cheap/amazing price.

I have been looking for over a month, and contacted Lawton for the cups + stock cables a month ago.
I was told a week later by a "mass email" by Mark that they no longer had any stock.

So recently, I just thought to myself, is there any harm in asking, just in case...and what do you know - bobs your uncle.
I couldn't believe that I bought cups, especially dampened ones. (still don't believe it lol)

Literally near impossible to find the cable and cups.
I'll be keeping the wire for myself, as I don't plan on upgrading my D2K's for a LONG time. (I'm talking over 2yrs or so)
So the cable will serve as a back-up in case anything goes wrong with the current cable.

And don't worry, i spam people with a LOT of pictures, I also like taking pictures of tech.
So pictures + possibly after i work out how to do it, an instruction video on how to mod the cups will come.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #755 of 811
You should carefully remove the D2K cable and solder in the much better quality D5/7K one which has 4 separately insulated conductors and a better sheath and then keep the D2K as a spare 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be keeping the wire for myself, as I don't plan on upgrading my D2K's for a LONG time. (I'm talking over 2yrs or so)
So the cable will serve as a back-up in case anything goes wrong with the current cable.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #756 of 811
I would if i had:
1. any sort of soldering skills
2. a solder

:p

I know the D7K one is much better quality though (saw the bare cable pics)
If someone really helped me out...or gave me clear instructions (may there is already? Haven't seen it though) then i would be encouraged to do so...:frowning2:
Also I rather not really mod it right now, as in wire wise, as if I need to send it in for warranty...then im screwed.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #757 of 811

Quote:
Indeed....i wish the people who had done the mods would respond :/

I'll be making a video out of it, once I find out how.

I woodied my d2000's with d7000 cups not too long ago. Trust me when I say that drilling into the wood posts of the cups doesn't work. The lip of the cup is still in the way. I ended up filling the holes with plastic wood, cut off the plastic posts on the driver bracket with a dremel instead, and got some wood screws. After that everything lined up and stayed together perfectly. Just make sure you cut and sand the plastic flush. The result, combined with a good cable (in my case Lawton Audio Copper One) is remarkable. My d2000's hold their own against the LCD-2 now.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #758 of 811

Quote:
I woodied my d2000's with d7000 cups not too long ago. Trust me when I say that drilling into the wood posts of the cups doesn't work. The lip of the cup is still in the way. I ended up filling the holes with plastic wood, cut off the plastic posts on the driver bracket with a dremel instead, and got some wood screws. After that everything lined up and stayed together perfectly. Just make sure you cut and sand the plastic flush. The result, combined with a good cable (in my case Lawton Audio Copper One) is remarkable. My d2000's hold their own against the LCD-2 now.

but the only problem of doing such thing would be voiding the warranty...
Something i might not be prepared to do

And "aurosonic" is very close to Aurisonics -> are you the same company :D?

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #759 of 811

Quote:

but the only problem of doing such thing would be voiding the warranty...
Something i might not be prepared to do

And "aurosonic" is very close to Aurisonics -> are you the same company :D?

IMO, the result is worth the risk. You may be able to get yours to work without cutting the posts. Luckily, the Denon series doesn't suffer from too many problems, so the warranty may never be needed.

No, I'm not associated with Aurisonics. Aurosonic is one of my favorite producers who, coincidentally, has the same logo
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #760 of 811

Quote:
IMO, the result is worth the risk. You may be able to get yours to work without cutting the posts. Luckily, the Denon series doesn't suffer from too many problems, so the warranty may never be needed.

No, I'm not associated with Aurisonics. Aurosonic is one of my favorite producers who, coincidentally, has the same logo
tongue.gif

hehe :D

And well yeah I shall try - I'll document everything I do :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #762 of 811

Quote:
I made a diffuser, it seems to help with the worst of the sibilance.

On some very extreme things I still get a little, but it isn't a show stopper.

(Bit of a bump here) I had a similar idea (not necessarily for Denons, just for closed phones in general) of doing something similar with some kind of sound absorbing foam, essentially replicating the walls of an anechoic chamber.  

I also can't help but wonder how the recent discontinuation of Denon's phones is going to impact Mike Lawton?  Maybe he could go directly to Foster?

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #763 of 811
I'm pretty sure it'll hurt Mike Lawton a decent amount.
Also, doing this mod has made the bass tighter but the whole sound signature to me lacks a mid range(Compared to my HD 497!) so to me with an EQ for the mids with this mod has made a substantial improvement but I'm finding more and more Denon's may not be my cup of tea...
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #764 of 811

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it'll hurt Mike Lawton a decent amount.
Also, doing this mod has made the bass tighter but the whole sound signature to me lacks a mid range(Compared to my HD 497!) so to me with an EQ for the mids with this mod has made a substantial improvement but I'm finding more and more Denon's may not be my cup of tea...
frown.gif

what denon y0u have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back