How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #121 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mod usually takes me about 4 to 4.5 hours. But you need to be pretty anal about how you cut those holes so they correspond to the holes perfectly in the rear of the driver. I also highly recommend taking a small screwdriver and using the flat surface of the blade to compact the Dynamat down nice and tight, You really need to work at it again and again, spreading it like very very stubborn frozen butter so it adheres fully and completely without any air pockets. This gets to be a major pain in the behind when working the rubber around the air holes. A pain, but well worth the result.
smily_headphones1.gif

so markl, is this true that your going to mod the d5ks for a fee? do you have ideas regarding the fee and the turn-around time?

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #122 of 811
Quote:

so markl, is this true that your going to mod the d5ks for a fee? do you have ideas regarding the fee and the turn-around time?

I guess it's OK (if not mods will alert me, I'm sure), to say that I've been waiting on Jude a while to get a Mall-Fi ad up and to change my title to MOT, but he's been very busy from what I understand.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #124 of 811
CountChoculaBot, please e-mail me so I can answer your question (click on my name and scroll down). Rules are strict for me now. Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #125 of 811
Very interesting thread - thanks! And hugely interesting for those who might want to try this on other headphones as well, since it's so well documented.

As far as I've understood, any headphone could benefit from better mass-dampening of its driver (tighter, more controlled bass), mass-dampening of the cups (less unwanted resonances, thus cleaner sound), and optimised filling of the enclosure (balance regulation between bass, mediums and treble, due to varying absorption and modification of driver's rear acoustic chamber properties - also less resonance). For treble control, I'd think one possible solution could be to use a thin layer of foam/fabric before the drivers - "de-foamed" headphones seem to have gained more treble and clarity from what I've read elsewhere, so those that are a bit sibilant could perhaps also be tamed by doing the reverse.

Seems that DIYers can have some fun trying to mod their headphones to their personal taste, especially closed/semi-closed cans since there are more parameters that can be dealt with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #127 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any autoshops where I can purchase Xtreme Dynamat? Or I'm I going to have to order online?

A lot of car audio places sell it. Just go on to the Dynamat website and do their locate a dealer search. I bought mine from a car/audio and home theater shop. I got WAAY too much but it was the smallest amount they had and it only cost 30 bucks. If you're more patient amazon.com sells it too.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #128 of 811
I used Dynamat extreme that I got some from a member here but I have previously used, and have some of, this stuff:

Jaycar Electronics

Which I get on my home from work. It's identical in every way apart from it has a plastic sheet which you remove to expose the adhesive instead of Dynamats paper and it doesn't have Dynamat written on it.

Similar stuff must be available elsewhere.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #130 of 811
So, it looks like everyone interested in doing these mods at some point should get a pair of D5000s ASAP. Within the past few days Amazon raised their price from $490 to $700. Audiocubes is selling them for about the same. Does anyone know of a good place where they can still be bought for about $500?

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #131 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, it looks like everyone interested in doing these mods at some point should get a pair of D5000s ASAP. Within the past few days Amazon raised their price from $490 to $700. Audiocubes is selling them for about the same. Does anyone know of a good place where they can still be bought for about $500?

audiocubes2 at $499

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #134 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks soundfreq. It looks like Amazon changed it again just after I looked at it last night. $426 bucks including shipping was too good a deal to pass up on. D5000s ordered! I'm very much looking forward to hearing them after the markl mod is done.

i ordered my pair from amazon too, about early january i think. you got it a lot cheaper than i did. enjoy them first, with the burn-in and all. i'm also interested with the markl mod, i'm just waiting for the recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back