"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
Nov 30, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #181 of 200
Yeah so pity(we/us) that still no competition to them, and they are monopoly, so excellent turn-over.

Good machinaries is all needed to fix the nice flexible stem inside the foam professionally , and the fine tuned shape of foam. nothing else there special. may be the density of comply foam is thicker than 3M,spark etc those available in drug stores and amazon.
I actually prefer the DIY. I have a few comply tips that are just sitting there because the DIY ones are more comfortable, give me better isolation and better SQ

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #182 of 200
Thank you for posting this DIY foam tip tutorial! My MEElectronics M6s happened to match earplugs I had lying around (colorwise, lol). Apologies for the ghetto photography, I wanted to post my appreciation right away.

The isolation boosts the bass immensely. I had resigned to using the large triple flange tips and pushing in the earpiece in every 15 minutes, but no more! These finally sound the way they're supposed to.

Tip for those attempting this: push in the awl/hole maker on the rounded side first. If you pierce the foam from the flat side with the rounded end coming out of the end, the opening when you put on your earpiece won't look as nice. Also, to make the hole bigger, compress the foam to a disc shape while the awl/hole maker is in and then pull to widen hole. If you make a hole that's too small and then try to yank it down, you will tear the foam. 

This was an easy mod to do, and if you mess up it's cheap to try again. Highly recommended DIY to try before buying Complys.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #183 of 200
Interesting. Does anyone have tips for doing this on the gr07? Every time I try it never works -- the foam tips are always too big. How can I slim them down?

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #186 of 200
Hi guys, I am new on this and possibly a little bit late!
By the way I guess this is one of the best DIY I found.
This is great!
I just bought a pair of monoprice 8320 and waiting for them trying to get the best out of my old in ear panasonic dunnowhat model..
Looks the foam of the 3M is really loose and takes too much to get back to the original shape. So i will look for something tougher and stronger.
I also have a big big ear canal that pushes me to always use the biggest ear plug possible (and sometimes it's just sufficient), so I am looking to a comply-like foam to build my personal huge ones!

Just got an idea about this... Did anyone tried buying a memory foam pillow to dismantle and make his own ear plugs? don't know if it's got the same foam but maybe it just takes a while to find the right one.. guess you can then make thousands of ear plug for really, really cheap price and also make your own size to fit ear canals perfectly.

just guessing...

Will post some pics of my job just to give one more shot to this amazing thread.

Thanks to all!

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #188 of 200
A also did something similar couple of months ago.

The main issue is doig the hole.

I did it with a hot needle but it did not get very good.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #189 of 200
possibly the hot needle will make sort of a crust that will prevent the hole border to stick properly on the plastic part of our device. It will probably slip away somehow.. I thought about doing this too but guess is better to cross it with a simple screwdriver.
Another idea could be to flat the foam to a disk shape, fold it to make an half disc and then cut a very very little spot in the center of the straight part of the half circle (with a cutter or shissors). Then pass trough the little hole with a pen to maximize it (pay attention not to break it) and quickly push in the speaker before the hole goes back to its original shape.

I made a test like this but as long as I found this thread this morning, I already run out of isolating foam erplugs :)
Will buy more next days to test again.

Cheers

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #190 of 200
  I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals.  I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out.  I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole.  I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem.  This took a few tries to get it on there.  I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila!   I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot!  I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.

Edit 2:  I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far. 
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam.  Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it.  Easy peasy!  I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform.  I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation.  I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.

I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it.  The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.

The ER4 decored foam:

FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger.  I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.

Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra soft

This is really awesome, I just did this with hearos plugs and it works great so far.

What is that black foam you use there?

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #191 of 200

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Hole-Punch-Heavy-2-0mm/dp/B000NK5VY2

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Size-Hollow-Punch-Set-Hand-Hole-Punching-Leather-Gasket-Carbon-Steel-Kit-New-/251487517794?pt=US_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item3a8dd2fc62

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #192 of 200

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Hole-Punch-Heavy-2-0mm/dp/B000NK5VY2

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Size-Hollow-Punch-Set-Hand-Hole-Punching-Leather-Gasket-Carbon-Steel-Kit-New-/251487517794?pt=US_Hand_Tools&var=&hash=item3a8dd2fc62

My father has one of those. I will give it a try.

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #193 of 200
What a trip - I can order from Amazon and have it delivered today for en extra $5.99.....

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #194 of 200
Don't known if it's been said before, but I use a retractable rc car antenna that has been dismantled then use a mallet to punch a hole in the foam, this is useful as each segment of the antenna can be used for differing bore sizes and it gives a cleaner cut than a hole punch or screwdriver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back