"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 200

shrisha

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys!
I would like to share with community this wonderful method, which I discover recently. This is about how to get the most best seal with shure se530s and not only with them.

I think many people know this nice foam earplugs. You can get them mostly by 2.5$ for 14 pieces, which is making this method damn cheap as well.

01.jpg

So, the story is. I was wondering why not try this plugs which is my wife using for day nap, for my shures instead of black olives tips during discovered the best seal for my listening pleasur. First I thought it would be difficult since I have to glue them to some kind of tubes, similar to the ones inside of olives to stick them on earphones. But since I couldn't find anything like that I decided to try it as is. And I was very suprised that the earplug's foam was strong enough to keep it on shures with no problem. And the most wonderful thing is the seal is just perfect! It's even better then black olives! Bass is beautiful, worm and sweet. Before I was thinking about custom molds but now I'm 100% satisfied.

Well, here is a procedure:

Cut earplugs in half if you have big ear canal. Or for 1/3 if you have medium. Or use thin part instead of thick for small ear canal.

02.jpg

Then, when you will get the right pieces for you wait for it a bit till foam will spread back.

03.jpg

Then stick it on small awl, I don't have it, so I use just ordinary screw driver
smily_headphones1.gif
The best is to use tiny hole punch tool. Try to get right into the center.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Then compress it and stick them on earphones. If you have Shures make sure to push tip all the way down.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Then wait a few minutes till you see this beauty
ksc75smile.gif

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

And as usual with foam tips put them in your ears.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Well, everything quite simple and result is great. For me it gives the best sound then any other tips. Triple-flanges, black olives, complys and so on...

Some tips.
Try to make smallest hole possible. But not too small
smily_headphones1.gif
The needle you see on my table was never used in this procedure. It makes very small hole which is difficult to work with.

When you plug them in your ears push and keep them by hand for a 30 seconds. Since foam is spreading a bit slow then better to give it some time. Otherwise it could fall off immediately.

If you will make tips too big, the seal could be too tight and it can hurt a bit after some time.

I hope it will be useful for some of you. Alot of topics around about which tips are best. No problem of this kind for me any more. The most important thing to get perfect seal for best sounding. This costom tips are giving.
This method is universal and I'm sure it could be used with 90% of IEMs.

P.S. It's my first "how to". English is not my native language, so your comments are most welcomed.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 200
I did this a while ago but my problem was that they would fall off in my ears alot..

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did this a while ago but my problem was that they would fall off in my ears alot..

May be you got earplugs made from different material. Perfect here.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May be you got earplugs made from different material. Perfect here.

Maybe I made the hole too big or somthing.. Mine were green too.. so I donno.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 200
Thanks for the info, i will definately have a go myself at this. Do you know what earplugs they are, ive had a look around and they look like Hearos. If you or anyone else knows of makes of plugs that work well please let me know.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I made the hole too big or somthing.. Mine were green too.. so I donno.

If everything done exectly as I did should'n be a problem then. Hole should be small I pushed hard to stick them in. You can see this on picture.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 200
I have tried this at work a few times but I used a hole punch. It's hard to get it centered though. I need to try something more like that I guess.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 200
Thank you for this mod. Very nice indeed. Wonderful
This properly qualifies for the best mod of this month I guess.

Just it doesn’t seem I belong to guys who know to these foam earplugs.
Could some post bit info here? I never have seen these before.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back