"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
Apr 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #138 of 200
Now those are real hybrids. I didn't like how Sony labeled their replacement tips as 'hybrids'. Kind of misleading imo.

I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals.  I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out.  I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole.  I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem.  This took a few tries to get it on there.  I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila!   I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot!  I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.

Edit 2:  I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far. 
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam.  Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it.  Easy peasy!  I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform.  I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation.  I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.

I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it.  The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.

The ER4 decored foam:

FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger.  I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.

Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra soft

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #144 of 200
Still a bit confused about what foams are best. Certainly plugs that don't take long to expand or seal without expanding, that's immediately are the best, so that it's easy to remove them if someone is talking to you and put them back easily. Of course the durability matters. Would Hearos extremes be the right choice?

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #145 of 200

Sorry to drag this out of the woodwork but I just did this mod and the sound is oh so good, great isolation and so comfy also. Not sure how long they would last though but its a virtually free upgrade for me as I get these free from work.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #149 of 200
I use them with my GR07 as you can see from the photos above

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #150 of 200
Quote:
I use them with my GR07 as you can see from the photos above

Oh I see now thanks a lot! How do they fit? The gr07 nozzle is a little bigger so was it hard to get them on? Did u have to make the hole bigger? how does it compare to the stock ear tips (in sq and comfort)?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back