How to Add a Mic with DT 990 to Astro mixamp while playing on ps3
Oct 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Matrix core

New Head-Fier
Hi,every one ,I am new to this forum but i have always used it for my audio related purchases ,i know it can sound stupid but i really need help , ihave already searched but not found the way to do it  the case is as follows

I am getting Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 250 OHM Headphones along with astro mixamp for playstation 3 but i want to use the headphone for online game chat during multiplayer matches with Ps3 (only) , consedring the fact that these headphone dont come with mic ,And i dont want any other headphone as i have finally made up my mind with them after reading about them for months and months can some one please please tell me how do I add mic with these headphone on astro mixamp  while playing on ps3  .

Also wanted to know can i use these beyers with  Sherwood RD 6502  AVR amplifier which is powering my Jamo 5.1  home theater , I mean can it be use it  to power my new Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 250 OHM Headphones ,OR this extra amplifier can In any way help me to get the most out of these headphones as  my console (ps3) is  already connected to these amplifier throug optical only for just sound.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 17
You need this cable or something similar to it to connect a headset and mic to your console.

http://www.astrogaming.com/accessories/3rd-party-headset-y-adapter-pkg-d

I might be mistaken though but 95% sure that's what you need.

Good luck.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
You need this cable or something similar to it to connect a headset and mic to your console.
http://www.astrogaming.com/accessories/3rd-party-headset-y-adapter-pkg-d
I might be mistaken though but 95% sure that's what you need.
Good luck.

This Solution is only For Pc headset those with two cable one for audio  other for mic that is why astro is offering Y adapter which contains green side for mic and the pink for audio( or it can be other way round not sure ) just as you find on the back of your Pc , But  Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium comes only with single cable that is audio only , unlike MMX300 which is a proper pc gaming headphone with two cables attach to it .

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 17
Guys come on this forum is among the worlds top forum as far as the knowledge about any audio querry goes . I need help I am expecting help here with the above two issues in the post .
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 17
mjs0008 is right, that's the adapter you need. You'll also need a mic, obviously.

Also: have some patience for goodness' sake.You bumped your thread 8 mins after your last reply.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
mjs0008 is right, that's the adapter you need. You'll also need a mic, obviously.

Also: have some patience for goodness' sake.You bumped your thread 8 mins after your last reply.

Sorry for being so impatient ,ok but do you mean that i need to add a mic in one of that side on the y adapter and the regular 3.5 audio cable from the headphone to the other female side , also can you help me that if i can use a bluetooth mic along with dt990 .

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 17
Yes, buy a mic and plug it into the other side of the Y-adapter. You yourself said that one side is for the audio and one side is for the mic--PC headsets with 2 jacks are essentially the same thing as a headphone + mic.

No clue on Bluetooth.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Yes, buy a mic and plug it into the other side of the Y-adapter. You yourself said that one side is for the audio and one side is for the mic--PC headsets with 2 jacks are essentially the same thing as a headphone + mic.

No clue on Bluetooth.

thanks for the info eric but i was actually not sure about that as i have never used any pc gaming headhone as i only do console gaming more over i started multiplayer this year only and realised it was so fun to do but it needed mic for propper coordintion with your team .the thing is i am actually in India and i want to order the product online so dont want to take any risk as some one else would be picking these stuff for me in US, do ineed any more cables for this chat thing to work or will the mixamp people willsend me the cables along the product as ithink they have not mentioned what is their in the box as i found out some reievews on the youtube,people say they cable is coming right now with product some say it was coming earlier but not now.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 17
If you have a question about what Astro Gaming can or will pack with the MixAmp, just go to their website and ask them. You're wasting your own time and risking misinformation by asking people on forums--Astro has plenty of info, FAQs, instruction manuals on their own website, and really, who better to ask than the people you're buying from?

It also sounds like you should read up more before committing to the setup you buy. Being unsure of basic things like mic+headphone = headset (more or less) is a bad sign; being unsure means you could waste a lot of money on the wrong product.
Note: By "read up" I mean search for answers, not simply ask questions that have probably already been answered.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 17
will definately do more research but every time i read up i dont get specific answers to my question any way thanks for the advice, the thread is still open for any more valuable input also does any one know an online place where i can get thes dt990 headphones for less along with complete warranty,as their are some sites which offer fakes as well

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 17
Plug the y-splitter that came with the mixamp into its front headphone out, then plug the mic into the red termination of the y-splitter.  You can use any clip-on or boom mic, as long as they're not the ones meant to be used for wireless systems.  Those don't work.  The guy who suggested the same thing before was right, it was NOT a pc-only option like you made it to be.  

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks I was not clear i figured it by the help on this forum also, can u help me with mixamp 5.8 or mixamp pro which one is better if i am going to use them with dt990 premium 250 ohm headphone
, I see u already own them do you know if mixamp can properly power the 250 ohm version of the headphone properly and is their a major diffrencein 32 ohm and 250 ohm version,I know the 600 ohm version must be a bliss to your ear.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 17
From what I hear the 250 and 600Ω versions are both equally as hard/easy to drive.  The 600Ω version on the mixamp doesn't get too loud in volume unless you forego the chat volume in the game/chat mix.  You can spike the master volume above 60% to get the volume decently high, but then you start distorting the sound and the amp's noise floor shows.  The improper driving also lead to quite a treble spike for the 600Ω 990 as well.  You can always run a second amp in your chain, though.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
From what I hear the 250 and 600Ω versions are both equally as hard/easy to drive.  The 600Ω version on the mixamp doesn't get too loud in volume unless you forego the chat volume in the game/chat mix.  You can spike the master volume above 60% to get the volume decently high, but then you start distorting the sound and the amp's noise floor shows.  The improper driving also lead to quite a treble spike for the 600Ω 990 as well.  You can always run a second amp in your chain, though.

Sorry but I am not too technical on the amps noise floor part ,infact I dont understand the terminologyis it something in term related to dynamic range i read it on klipsch forum but it went over my head, to cut it short is it good or bad .in my case the budget is a problem actually i can go with FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier but then the setup will become more complicated , so finally 250 ohm or 32 ohm dt990 ,is their a considerable quality loss with 32 ohm if we compaire it with 250 ohm model  you guide me i will be mainly using it for gaming on console not on PC but yeah music as well & that too all bassy one .

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Yes it does affect dynamic range.  The noise floor showing through is just the amp giving off a static hiss in the audio.  Think of it like an HDTV.  If backlighting of the TV makes it so the blacks aren't truly black, it will have a profound effect on the TV's dynamic range.  Same issue goes with the amp's noise floor.  32ohm 990 sounds like a nice option.  A lot of people say the differences between the models are subtle.  Some exaggerate the differences moreso than others it seems.  I've never come across people who say there are considerable differences between them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back