How "open" are open headphones?
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rayman2k2

100+ Head-Fier
So I've given my pair of DT770's to my brother. I bought them back when there were ~112 on Amazon. So, I'm now in the market for new headphones.

I loved the DT770's a lot and for what I was doing - movie watching, music listening, and playing games (FPS's, RPG's, and strategy games) - it was great. Zero complaints with them. But I feel like buying another pair would sorta be a cop out. It's time I delve further into the world of headphones. My wallet is already hurting.

I've come to the decision that I'll probably go with either the HD598's, the DT990's, or stick with the tried and true DT770's. In either case, I'll be getting an Asus Xonar soundcard. But my fear with open headphones is two fold: 1. I don't want to hear my roommates talking while I'm playing games, and 2. I sit about four feet away from an A/C unit. The sound it creates varies, typically it isn't unbearably loud, but it can get there. Using KSC75's currently, it's evident that the unit is there and though not particularly annoying, I don't particularly care for it. Music and action in video games can drown it out but when its just ambient noise in movies/games, it's kinda there.

So I was just curious how much more "open" open headphones are. Do they let too much noise in or is it something that can be drowned out. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 10
Can't speak for those particular headphones. But my Grados are very "open". Need to be in very quiet environment. They also leak lot of sound so it's very annoying for people in the same room.

As for the soundcard. I'd suggest the Xonar Essence ST as it includes an amp.

Good luck.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 10
If you plan to "drown out" ambient noise by skyrocketing the volume, just go with closed headphones and preserve your hearing. 
Just as closed headphones vary in noise isolation, so too do open headphones vary in the same regard. Still, most open headphones will bleed plenty of sound and will not effectively block ambient noise. In other words, open headphones are "much more open."

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Heya,

You're going to hear that AC unit with open-headphones, it will basically drown into your sound. You will hear people talking in the same room. You're going to need closed headphones. Turning up volume will not help.

Get another pair of DT770's. They're excellent. Isolate very well. You've already heard them so you know what you're getting. It's a win-win situation. If you want something different yet similar, check out Ultrasone HFI 580.

Very best,

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. I have two other roommates who are generally quiet (and I can close my door) but further, my A/C can definitely be turned off. I do love me some DT770's but I do like the idea of a larger soundstage of the DT990's...

...decisions, decisions...:\

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Can't speak for those particular headphones. But my Grados are very "open". Need to be in very quiet environment. They also leak lot of sound so it's very annoying for people in the same room.

As for the soundcard. I'd suggest the Xonar Essence ST as it includes an amp.

Good luck.

Also, would the Xonar be enough to drive the 250ohm version?

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 10
I will recommend the DT990 because it's sound even better (improve in clarity and higher resolution) than DT770 with wider soundstage and deep punchy bass. The Asus Essence ST will drive these with ease even 600 Ohm and sound much better than intel stock sound card.  The Asus Essence ST has RCA line level output to connect with external AMPs for later use and it will further improve the sound quality. So i will highely recommend both the DT990(250 Ohm or 600 Ohm) and Asus Essence ST. BTW even with open back headphones you won't hear background noise when playing music or games on PC.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 10
My Alessandro MS1's are pretty dang open. The same amount of sound escapes from the back as the ear piece itself. It bugs people but I don't care because they sound awesome.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Um I'm sitting with my back towards a fan right now with no music playing with SR-225's on, I basically forgot I've been wearing them for 30 minutes because they're so open lol. I can even hear the breeze of the fan...

If you're sitting in a room with people, you can comfortably listen to music without people complaining, but you can't really play games or rock out on them without being a ******. That being said on the bus it doesn't really matter anyway haha.

And yes, the Xonar is enough to drive the 250ohm.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 10

[size=medium]
I dont know if I'll buy the soundcard at the same time as the headphones...most likely, I'll end up waiting a month between the purchases. That said, I plan on buying the headphones in the next few days. I'm still on the fence between the two. On the one hand I can turn the A/C whenever I play but its quite the hassle to deal with that over and over again (what? I'm lazy). Really, its the only issue that I'd have to deal with - my roommates are typically quiet and I can close the door.

Chances are, I'll grab the DT990's now and if it's unbearable, return them to Amazon. Or, keep them and grab the DT770's later on down the road (I did like their sound quite a bit).
[/size]

Quote:
I will recommend the DT990 because it's sound even better (improve in clarity and higher resolution) than DT770 with wider soundstage and deep punchy bass. The Asus Essence ST will drive these with ease even 600 Ohm and sound much better than intel stock sound card.  The Asus Essence ST has RCA line level output to connect with external AMPs for later use and it will further improve the sound quality. So i will highely recommend both the DT990(250 Ohm or 600 Ohm) and Asus Essence ST. BTW even with open back headphones you won't hear background noise when playing music or games on PC.

Have you used the DT770's? Is the difference in soundstage that huge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back