How obsessed are you with headphones?
Feb 5, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #62 of 80
6 - I often find good headphones more eye-catching than the nearest hot college girl. Unfortunately very few of those girls wear nice headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #64 of 80
sad to say i'm a 9 if not a 10. i am seriously obsessed with headphones thats like all i think about now. i can't wait to buy a new pair lolol :p

EDIT: sorry for gravedigging didn't realize this was this old 

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #65 of 80
I'd say about a 6.

Normally, I would go higher than that because there are no speakers connected to my flagship desktop, only my AD700s. However, I can't rank it any higher because the AD700s are the best headphones I have by far, and they're rather entry-level by Head-Fi standards.

That may change if I ever get the money for a Stax Lambda setup. It's a lot to spend on headphones for sure (more than I should even think about spending, but I have to know what that electrostatic sound is like), but I simply do not have the room for a good speaker setup. It's less about space and more about acoustic treatment. This isn't even factoring in how speakers tend to be more expensive for a perceived metric of sound quality than headphones.

The other thing is that I have a feeling that headphones with a binaural surround filter can get me even closer to 3D sound than 7.1 ever will, which is more like 2D sound in that all the speakers are still at the same height. Too bad that a lot of modern games are being dumbed down to 7.1 imaging thanks to the prevalence of APIs that pre-mix their sounds to that at the most and stereo at the least instead of just telling the sound device driver where the sounds are in 3D space and letting it handle where and how to play those sounds.

EDIT: I have those Stax Lambdas now...and they are exactly what I've been hoping for.

Still, it's hardly a headphone collection if the only usable full-size headphones I have right now are these Lambdas, the AD700s, and the SS-20. On top of that, I don't feel like expanding past these original generation Lambdas (though I'm told that if I actually get the chance to hear even better Stax, "sorry about your wallet" is going to kick in again). Can't count the MDR-CD180 again until I find a way to get that headband and earcup reunited in a solid manner...or just build a new headband entirely, which would likely be more effort than they're worth.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #66 of 80
Sadly, a 9 for me.

But what's funny is I don't listen to music all THAT much. But when I do, I want it to sound *really* good. I'd have to say when I do listen to music, I end up using my cheap portable system a lot more than my stationary desktop rig; even when my desktop rig is MUCH more costly. But this hobby is just to much fun just to sit and spectate. I have to constantly buy, compare, and analyze headphones. Usually, I'm never satisfied, so I keep trying more and more. But yeah, every bit of extra money goes straight toward audio. Actually, even when I don't have "extra" money, I still spend it on audio...

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #68 of 80
3 because I usually listen to speakers. Headphones will always be used mostly for portability.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #69 of 80

Quote:
Sadly, a 9 for me.

But what's funny is I don't listen to music all THAT much. But when I do, I want it to sound *really* good. I'd have to say when I do listen to music, I end up using my cheap portable system a lot more than my stationary desktop rig; even when my desktop rig is MUCH more costly. But this hobby is just to much fun just to sit and spectate. I have to constantly buy, compare, and analyze headphones. Usually, I'm never satisfied, so I keep trying more and more. But yeah, every bit of extra money goes straight toward audio. Actually, even when I don't have "extra" money, I still spend it on audio...

Classic case of 'Serious chronic Audiophilia' right there

'When you listen to your gear more than the actual music'

wink_face.gif

I'm a #6 by the look of things.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #70 of 80
6 - I use headphones more then my speakers, and just enjoying reading about them while using mine.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #71 of 80
Am obsessed within reason keeping things under the hundred fifty dollar range and am the same way with speakers. Pretty amazing what is available at such low prices. My most expensive headphones are some Audio Technica Ath Ad700 for just over a hundred. Recently brought a spare Koss UR-40 not as a backup but to enjoy the different sound signature of the titanium drivers which my other pair dont have. Am pretty satisfied right now with my setup so i'll probably quit with the purchases and just soak up audio knowledge while enjoying what i got.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #73 of 80
6 or 7, my collection is getting there and i don't even have a big obnoxious amp yet. I knew soon people will start saying "why do you have so many" since i have them on stands on a shelf displayed in my room, don't have a SO. I want to buy a tube amp eventually, i have a CMoy and if i should get one of those beefy desktop setups i'm sure people are going to ask. I wonder if i will get a real response or just a "you're crazy! I just buy a cheap pair from radioshack and i'm good"
tongue_smile.gif
Reason why i'm here is because i was thinking of upgrading the speakers on the HT but then realized i rarely even get the chance to push them, also for my type of music i don't really want to play it too loudly, headphones are the place to put my money. Having a small living room i ditched the rear speakers and wish i could just put the front ones in some sort of enclosure inside the wall and drape the screen over them so i don't have to see all the trinkets, i like to keep things tidy.

I want a new receiver -Denon- for HD audio codecs and a few nice features, now thanks to this place i'm wondering if it'll be a nice upgrade for my phones through the Ps3?
beyersmile.png
IDK if i would buy a standalone CD player since i don't really have room for it and they are pretty expensive.........i did want to upgrade my PC speakers from Logitech, but then i wondered "what for?", will probably settle for some Dayton bookshelfs.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #74 of 80
Between 5 and 6, I use my HD650s at night so everyone else can sleep and I love the fact that they always sound perfect (I know the HD650s aren't precisely neutral, but their dark color is music to my ears) whereas my speakers are held back by the rooms they are in and I don't want to deal with room treatments yet.

If I compare perfect headphones to perfect speakers in a perfect room, I prefer listening to speakers but among the gear I have hooked up to my computer, my HD650s are better than my Audioengine A5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back