how much do your glasses cost?
Oct 29, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #16 of 97
Frames are really a luck of the draw thing depending on what happens to look good on you. If your local Walmart happens to have a ~$100 frame that fits you, lucky you. I've searched high and low locally for a frame that looks good one me but literally couldn't find a single one. Ended up having to go online for Oakley RX frames. They're decently priced when you nab them on Ebay, averaging about $150 for the frames, (I've also landed some for less than $100) and the quality and finish is very high. I have 4 pairs of Oakley RXed glasses now (and 5 pairs of Oakley Juliets...4 sets of prescription lenses among them...big, big $$$, but I love Juliets). My most recent pair, an Oakley Why 3, which I intend to be my main pair, costed $350ish.

I've never heard of $600 frames...didn't even realize they existed. That is truly insane. And I thought Oakley's X-metal series was expensive.

More important than the frame though is the lenses...THAT is where you should be unloading money. So far I've tried Walmart lenses, Crizal Alize lenses, and Oakley lenses. For me, Oakley lenses are the ones to beat. I thought Crizals were nice until I tried swapping between a frame with Crizals and a frame with Oakleys...the Oakleys were noticeably sharper when looking at text, something I do all day long at the computer screen. Walmart lenses are really, truly terrible in comparison. Nonetheless the differences are small in general, but once you try a sharp, optically clear lens, it's hard to go back to inferior lenses. Kind of like headphones, when you start realizing those small details with a better headphone, it's hard to go back to what you had before.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #17 of 97
OKAY HEAD-FIERS - here is one of my BEST tips; go to www.Hidalgos.com. I have used them for a long time, and they are the glasses vendor I always try to use...they have a moderate selection, but give great value. They are honorable, and have been for me many years. Good advice, even if you don't use them. Rapid service. For U.S. only - maybe Canada too, depending on how your tax/customs works.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #18 of 97
Wow glasses sure are expensive in the states. Here in Singapore you can get cheap frames for under 50 bucks. Nicer ones go for less than 100, and designer frames can be gotten for under 200.

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
My Giorgio Armani glasses ran me $800.00

That is a ridiculous price! I've got two pairs of Emporio Armani (a lower end brand) glasses and with multi coated ultra thin lenses they cost MUCH less than US$500 total.

The Giorgio Armani lines were only about slightly more expensive. Of course, I live outside US

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Still, if you want, you can still find a fine pair of glasses (frames only) for $60 bux, at least in the shops I've looked in. I think they look great, and there's no reason to spend more unless you like spending more money.

I don't think this was always the case. If I could have found glasses that looked as good on me as the DG's did for less, I would taken those instead. It wasn't until I saw the DG's, after lots of searching, that I finally found some frames that really fit my head and style properly.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 97
I got some cheapos ($200ish incl. lens) quite awhile back. Now I use contacts 99% of the time.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 97
A nice pair of frames run about $400 and my lenses cost more with all the coatings etc.

I don’t skimp on my glasses since my eyes are my primary means of viewing the world and the world views me with my glasses on.

It’s funny to be cheap on something as critical as eyeglasses when they serve the most important purpose and are immediately visible to every one who sees you.

Looking at your profile you’ve spent more on audio than glasses? One of these has a direct influence in your ability to function in the world and the other is a hobby. People have a really weird sense of priorities.

Mitch

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
OKAY HEAD-FIERS - here is one of my BEST tips; go to www.Hidalgos.com. I have used them for a long time, and they are the glasses vendor I always try to use...they have a moderate selection, but give great value. They are honorable, and have been for me many years. Good advice, even if you don't use them. Rapid service. For U.S. only - maybe Canada too, depending on how your tax/customs works.

Another is www.giarre.com

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
It’s funny to be cheap on something as critical as eyeglasses when they serve the most important purpose and are immediately visible to every one who sees you.

Some people don't care about aesthetics, and although cheap frames/lenses may not be as good qualitywise, they'll do the job for most. I personally never had a problem with mines until a few years in, when I got careless.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
A nice pair of frames run about $400 and my lenses cost more with all the coatings etc.

I don’t skimp on my glasses since my eyes are my primary means of viewing the world and the world views me with my glasses on.

Looking at your profile you’ve spent more on audio than glasses? One of these has a direct influence in your ability to function in the world and the other is a hobby. People have a really weird sense of priorities.

Mitch

I don't wear glasses the entire day, only during my classes. I was just trying to find some cheap frames to get me by. Therefore they do not really have that direct an influence on my ability to function!
tongue.gif
It was painful trying to explain to the salesperson that I didn't need expensive coated thin lenses, I didn't want expensive frames, I could care less about anti fog. I was only going to wear these a few hours a day inside a classroom. I do not need to look fashionable because noone is going to be paying attention to my glasses rather than the lecture! I was just disappointed that the cheapest deal I could get was 230 when looking through several eyeglass stores. I didn't realize walmart had glasses as well but I know I'll be going there for my next pair.

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus
My Hoya lenses cost more than your average person's frames.

450 bucks.

Ditto. Super high refractive index, excellent coatings and very light lenses. They're what I get. Sucks that they are so expensive.

Sad thing is that many people spend a fortune looking for what they think are the right frames for them. In reality most make poor decisions from what I've seen. I tend go for the lightest, most comfortable and least visible myself. To me, glasses aren't a fashion statement, they are a pain in the ass and I hate wearing them. However, it seems like a lot of peopele are going for the dorky 60's look now. There, I said it. If any of you are wearing those thick black 60's rims... yes, you look like a dork!
tongue.gif
hehe

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Ditto. Super high refractive index, excellent coatings and very light lenses. They're what I get. Sucks that they are so expensive.

Sad thing is that many people spend a fortune looking for what they think are the right frames for them. In reality most make poor decisions from what I've seen. I tend go for the lightest, most comfortable and least visible myself. To me, glasses aren't a fashion statement, they are a pain in the ass and I hate wearing them. However, it seems like a lot of peopele are going for the dorky 60's look now. There, I said it. If any of you are wearing those thick black 60's rims... yes, you look like a dork!
tongue.gif
hehe

I agree. My vision is so piss poor that I'm now both near and far sighted. If this means anything my prescription for glasses is

O.D:
spherical: -9.00
cylindrical: +1.75
axis: 100

O.S:
spherical: -8.25
cylindrical: +1.75
axis: 078

As for thick black rimmed frames...it's the emo style! My gf wants to get a pair for herself and for me too. LOL. I wear contacts mostly. So does she.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back