how much do your glasses cost?
Oct 29, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #31 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus
My Hoya lenses cost more than your average person's frames.

450 bucks.

Really which hoya lens is that? I got a hoya lens on one of my frame. I bought it when I was in Taiwan, I forgot how much I paid but I'm sure it doesn't cost me more than $200 for that lens alone. I like my new cryzal alyse though.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 97
The Hoyas can be had with the highest RI of any lens on the market, and that costs if you want light lenses.

harkamus, as for the emo look, you're welcome to it.... but you *will* look like a dork as will your gf
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #33 of 97
I spend about $400-500 CAD on glasses every 2-3 years (I do like to change them just because I get bored of the style). Right now, I'm using some Oakley Chop Top 4 SH frames, and mid-index plastic lenses with normal coatings.

Company eyecare plan gives me $200 every two years.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #34 of 97
My lenses cost like $400 with all the coating, bifocal and such. My doctor insisted on bifocals...though I don't use it. The frame itself was ~$150.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #35 of 97
Silhouette Frames, $250
Compressed Lenses, with Crizal Coating $250-$300

Total Around $500-$550 plus tax

My Grandmother says she pays more for her glasses so I'm not mad.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 97
I have Nikon lenses that cost $355, and the optician was nice so he gave $50 off on some $200 frames. To get thin and light lenses at numbers like mine (-9, -10), you do end up paying a bit. Even when they were lower, I still had to get Hoya lenses shipped from germany.

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #37 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
A nice pair of frames run about $400 and my lenses cost more with all the coatings etc.

I don’t skimp on my glasses since my eyes are my primary means of viewing the world and the world views me with my glasses on.

It’s funny to be cheap on something as critical as eyeglasses when they serve the most important purpose and are immediately visible to every one who sees you.

Looking at your profile you’ve spent more on audio than glasses? One of these has a direct influence in your ability to function in the world and the other is a hobby. People have a really weird sense of priorities.

Mitch

a frame less than 400$ does not impair one's ability to function in the world, nor do lenses costing less than 200$. its funny to see such a ridiculously skewed scale of necessity and luxury

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #38 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Ditto. Super high refractive index, excellent coatings and very light lenses. They're what I get. Sucks that they are so expensive.

Sad thing is that many people spend a fortune looking for what they think are the right frames for them. In reality most make poor decisions from what I've seen. I tend go for the lightest, most comfortable and least visible myself. To me, glasses aren't a fashion statement, they are a pain in the ass and I hate wearing them. However, it seems like a lot of peopele are going for the dorky 60's look now. There, I said it. If any of you are wearing those thick black 60's rims... yes, you look like a dork!
tongue.gif
hehe

actually i really like the dorky 60's look, not because its in, but because bruce lee wore them in chinese connection, and then proceeded to kick his school bullies asses! Fashion aside they must be pretty durable right? Unfortunately I look ridiculous in them so I had to cross them off the list.

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #39 of 97
Current pair, with sunglass clip-on: $575 or so. Lasik is starting to look really good. At roughly $500 every two years Lasik will pay for itself rather quickly.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #41 of 97
“its funny to see such a ridiculously skewed scale of necessity and luxury”

Whatever. People judge another person relatively quickly and first impressions usually carry forward. You can choose to buy cheap and look like a cheap dork. The numbers I mentioned are relatively cheap and less than most people pay for their cable TV or cell phone in a few months.

To each his own- spend your money on what’s important to you- fancy car rims or an X-box but for me nice, well made eyeglasses are important and a reasonably cheap investment.

Mitch

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #42 of 97
Quote:

Whatever. People judge another person relatively quickly and first impressions usually carry forward. You can choose to buy cheap and look like a cheap dork.

Who says cheap has to look bad? Besides, no one's gonna care, as long as you ain't wearing big ol uglies.

We don't need expensive glasses to make ourselves look good, we already do.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #43 of 97
Frames and lenses for me was about $550 but with some discounts they had and AAA membership it was somewhere in the high 300s.

My dad still uses some glasses he bought for $600 20 years ago!
eek.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #44 of 97
Quote:

“its funny to see such a ridiculously skewed scale of necessity and luxury”

Whatever. People judge another person relatively quickly and first impressions usually carry forward. You can choose to buy cheap and look like a cheap dork. The numbers I mentioned are relatively cheap and less than most people pay for their cable TV or cell phone in a few months.

To each his own- spend your money on what’s important to you- fancy car rims or an X-box but for me nice, well made eyeglasses are important and a reasonably cheap investment.

Mitch

most people dont pay 400+ for a phone or cable tv in a few months. 400$ is relative cheap for frames only? anything less makes one look like a cheap dork? if those are the parameters you judge people by, there are some deep issues that needs addressing

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #45 of 97
I've found eBay to be a great place to look for frames. Frames that would normally cost $250 like mine can be found for $50 usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back