how much do your glasses cost?
Oct 30, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #46 of 97
I just got some new frames and lenses to match my contact prescription, and I got new Columbia frames and the lenses without all the fancy coatings and such, and the glasses plus two boxes of contacts came out to appr. $315.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #47 of 97
Paid $3000 for PRK (LASIK) in order to not wear glasses.
blink.gif

20/15 vision now, no regrets.

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“its funny to see such a ridiculously skewed scale of necessity and luxury”

Whatever. People judge another person relatively quickly and first impressions usually carry forward. You can choose to buy cheap and look like a cheap dork. The numbers I mentioned are relatively cheap and less than most people pay for their cable TV or cell phone in a few months.

To each his own- spend your money on what’s important to you- fancy car rims or an X-box but for me nice, well made eyeglasses are important and a reasonably cheap investment.

Mitch

Nothing against you, but honestly, most of us can't tell apart the expensive eyewear from the the cheap eyewear you get at your Sears optical store. Most of us would have to be handed the specs to look them over.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #49 of 97
I've been using a cheap (er) pair of "sakura" frames for the last four years now. iirc they were like $200 but the lenses (photochromatic) were a good $200 also.

the frames have been abused over the last four years and have held up great

unfortunatly my vision has digressed very rapidly over the last four years and I too am straining to distinguish the markings on the screen, a trip to the optometrist seems eminant, I do think I will skip on the photochromatic lenses this time, they're a godsend when its at all sunny outside (sensitivity to light) but they dont change fast enough when I walk indoors so I must take them off to see (too bad I cant see without them ). also the lenses will not darken when I'm driving, unless the window is open

now that I have made my statement I have a question for all those reading this, in certain lighting conditions I can see a reflection on the lense of my eye, its very distracting and esp when watching a movie. it this because of the coating on my lenses or do all glasses do this?

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #50 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
Paid $3000 for PRK (LASIK) in order to not wear glasses.
blink.gif

20/15 vision now, no regrets.

How was it? Don't you have to like keep your eyes open the WHOLE time and cannot blink at all or something? Don't they also *touch* your eyes with stuff and what not? *shudders*

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #51 of 97
My goodness I didn't know people spent so much on glasses. When I had glasses a few years ago the frames cost me ~$100, don't remember how much the lenses were....
blink.gif

Admittedly they were not the most beautiful pair on display, but they weren't ugly either. I guess being jobless, uninsured and steadily going blind at the time didn't leave me much choice.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #53 of 97
i have calvin klien frames and transitions lenses, cost $200. the only reason i even spent that much is becuase i didn't want to look like a dork but i think spending $300+ is crazy, if you think what you spend on things make people think your cool or something you must hang around some really shallow people. what happens if you lose all your money are those same people going to want to be around a bum lol. contrary to popular belief bling bling doesn't make your **** bigger and attracts the wrong people. you know what they say about diminishing returns
smily_headphones1.gif
. you can't buy respect, if you think thats what your getting with money wait till it's gone.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #54 of 97
450 says:
Quote:

My dad still uses some glasses he bought for $600 20 years ago!

Nothing fancy, $425.00 with "discount" coupon. I get a check-up every year, but have not changed my lenses in over two years. I would have to change lenses in four sets of glasses.

Do you find that frames are getting cheaper (quality not price). I find my lenses seem to pop-out a lot more.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #55 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
How was it? Don't you have to like keep your eyes open the WHOLE time and cannot blink at all or something? Don't they also *touch* your eyes with stuff and what not? *shudders*

they clamp your eyelids open I think, and then I'm guessing the laser makes a cut, the doctor lifts the flap of skin/membrane/whatever, the laser cuts again, then the doctor lowers the flap and you're good to go.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #56 of 97
Platinum plated Paul Vasheront's plus a pair of titanium jobbies the manufacturer of which I don't recall off hand. $1200 out the door IIRC. I don't usually pay much attention to name brands as they're pretty much meaningless to me when it comes to glasses. The only reason I can tell you the name is because I'm wearing them and the others are at home. Well, you know, I liked the way they looked, especially the ti's.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #57 of 97
I had my optometrist last wed, paid $15 and Blue cross covered the rest.
My lens frame finally gave, the left nose rest, the actuall part that connects the nose pad to the frame fell off, only way to fix is welding and everywhere they ask for $80 to fix, so not worth it. I had this frame for 10yrs, time for a change. The frames variety at my optometrist suck, so I opted to go to lens crafter, first time purchasing there. The offer a 30day money back warantee and if I don't like my lens I can return for full refund in that period. I really went crazy this time, frame+lens loaded with all options ran me around $350, then around $290 for sunglasses with anti reflective coating on my side. So I blew around $637 on a good set of glass and lens this is witht the 30%discount for using AAA, this is considering that its the whole deal frame and lens. This time I opted for square frames. Did it dent me? does it bother me? not so much, my eye sight doesen't change much so I barely have to change lens, I take good care of my gear so hopefully I can push another 10yrs out of these. This time I went from round lens to quare lens, the square fram I chose is frameless at the bottom, looks really nice. Back when I got mine they were the trend since square frames used to be tick, times changed and the squares one have lightened up and slimmed down, so it tome to be hip, btw the normal ones are titanium frame brooks brothers brand, the sun glasses are Persol, brown color. What I noticed is the style of the know brands suck, at least the ones I've seen, the raybans out of all of them only found one I liked.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
now that I have made my statement I have a question for all those reading this, in certain lighting conditions I can see a reflection on the lense of my eye, its very distracting and esp when watching a movie. it this because of the coating on my lenses or do all glasses do this?

Anti reflect coaings will only go so far. There will always be some reflecting going on. The eye does reflect quite a bit and glasses will pick this up and present it back to you. A small or very bright light (like a screen in a dark room) will usualy present itself as a reflection off your eye.

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #60 of 97
Also some of the frameless glasses or partial frame don't protect the whole lens asseambly so the light can enter the lens at an angle that its not coated, I noticed this with the new quare frame, the lower part is frameless, as I wore them today it slowly went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back