how much do your glasses cost?
Oct 29, 2006 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
I just went for an eye exam today, since my vision is getting worse and worse and I can no longer read the board during lectures. Since both my parents and I don't have eyeglass coverage, I tried to pick the least expensive of frames possible. It came out to $230 for frames and lenses. I was shocked that even the cheapest pair of frames cost around $150. The salesperson kindly explained to me they were titanuim and that was why the prices were so high. I was biting my tounge resisting telling her the cost of titanium and that the production cost of all these frames were probably less than a dollar each. So why are glasses so darn expensive? How are people willing to pay 600-800 dollars for a pair of designer frames? The profit margins on these must be insane! For the price of some of these frames I could buy an engagement ring or some diamond jewelry instead!

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 97
My Dolce and Gabbana glasses ran me almost 350 dollars, and that was heavily discounted since I had my AAA card on me (weird, right?). Outrageous prices for glasses, but they are so inelastic since everybody needs to be able to see...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 97
You won't get an argument from me. The profit margin on eyeglass frames must be huge.

I also have a DG frame, and it cost a bundle.

If you have friends or relatives in Asia, take a look into getting from Asia or even sending your prescription there for both the frame and lens. You do take some risk but if the cost is great enough, it may justify taking the chance.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 97
~$130. That was roughly the cheapest I could get mine...

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 97
You could get really cheaply made frames and lenses, they are all over the internet or even go to a place like Walmart has some pretty low priced frames. However I've had problems with them holding up well and not being bent or warp easily. And don't even get started on cheap lenses some of these places put on.
But it depends how important this is for you.
Personally I would get at least a decent pair of glasses since I do not want to mess with something like my vision or something I put on my head for extended periods. But it all depends on your needs and preference.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 97
Consumer-level designer frames (e.g., the D&G or Prada stuff you see in stores) are usually about $250 - 400. The nicer stuff, say a Cartier, can run you in that $600 - $800 price range. I haven't bought a Cartier pair of glasses in a while - I'm pretty happy with the usual Gucci, Prada stuff. I do like the Cartier stuff and when I see someone wearing a pair, you do know they spent a little bit more for them.

This is all frames only - tack on lenses and the like and yeah that's another $150...

There are plenty of great designers that go a bit lower - Japanese designers like comme ca du mode, or British designers like Katherine Hammett. These are more in the $200 range.

Still, if you want, you can still find a fine pair of glasses (frames only) for $60 bux, at least in the shops I've looked in. I think they look great, and there's no reason to spend more unless you like spending more money.

Oh, engagement rings and diamond jewelry - Cartier engagement ring, 1.3 carats, D, IF will run you $40k+. Diamond stud earrings from Cartier - $7k.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 97
My Giorgio Armani glasses ran me $800.00

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 97
You can get frames cheap at Lens Crafters and other similar places. Lenses on the other hand are quite pricey. Even with my vison coverage and store discounts, I still paid quite a bit.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 97
wow, those are expensive!

my pair cost me around 160$, this is with anti-glare coated transitions lenses. this is in manila though... but imported stuff is usually more expensive here than in the US so there should be some affordable frames there too.

oh btw, my frames are branded as bose!
eek.gif
hahaha i bought them before joining head-fi, just noticed the coincidence now. they're probably some fake chinese frames, but they look really snazzy and the build quality is excellent!

cimg1616fn3.jpg

anyway, back on topic, i was shopping online for some glasses some time back and recall seeing some sites offering a wide range starting at 30$ or so. downside is you dont get to fit the frames though... those transitions lenses are highly recommended! theyre scratch resistant and change to a dark tint when exposed to sunlight and back to clear indoors. very very handy! saves you carrying a pair of sunglasses around.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 97
The one's I'm wearing currently are from the .99 Cent store. I use them for reading. I once paid $200 for a real pair, and they weren't THAT much better. But I've found I need to pay at least $15 at Walgreens for quality that matches prescription glasses, so I try to stay with Walgreens. But in a pinch, the 99 cent store will do.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 97
After finding a pair I loved, I bulked at the price and hunted for a couple weeks for anything else. Finally crawled back and bought IC! Berlin Kirks (as in captain). Flexible surgical steel and shockingly light. The frames of course couldn't actually support the lenses, so they had to ground some special indestructible glass (hopefully if I'm ever shot it will be in the eyes). I think the total was about $800, which is about 3X the amount I've ever paid before.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 97
Oakley, $300 for frames and run-of-the-mill polycarbonate lenses after discount.

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 97
Silhouette rimless frames, Hoya high RI progressive lenses with reflect and scratch coat. Around $550.

Frankly, I think spending more on frames than lenses is madness.

PS.
I've had soem very souring experiences with high street 'discount' places.. By the time all the addons are summed up you end up paying as much as a decent place charges, and you get lower quality. Don't fall for the gimmicky ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back