how much do your glasses cost?
Jan 7, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #91 of 97
Two pairs of glasses. Vision is -9.75 in one eye, -7.25 in other. Heavy nearsightedness and heavy astigmatism.

First pair is my work/shooting glasses. $60 impact resistant frame with side shields, $200 polycarbonate lenses. Heavy as hell, but those are the breaks if it needs to be impact resistant.

Second pair is my everyday pair. $200 Polo frame, $300 high index lenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the diference between the more expensive (do people buy them without ar coatings? that just defys logic) and the less expensive coated lenses is still pretty good.

I usually buy my lenses that way. In my experience, non-AR coated lenses have been significantly more scratchproof than AR coated lenses. Apparently lots of things are hard enough to scratch the AR layer but not hard enough to damage the hardcoat underneath.

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #92 of 97
There's a good article in Consumers Reports, titled "Eyeglasses - Score Spectacular Savings". It's on page 48 of their issue titled "Annual Electronics Issue", and this issue is marked to remain on sale through 1/7/07.

Jan 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #93 of 97
i don't know those names that are listed here, but i usually go back to japan to buy frames/lenses as many are made there and of course, if i am to get a nikon lens, it had better come from japan. the same lens/frame combo in canada is at least 2x cheaper in japan. example, i got 1.6 index lens (there is only one thinner than can be easily order here in canada) with a cheap lense made by someone somewhere and did the same in japan. Here was 300$ and back in japan, a little less than 130$. North america is a rip for this sort of thing.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #95 of 97
Wow some of you are paying alot for mediocre quality frames. With the amount you are paying there are many stylish and good quality frames you can choose from besides designer labels eg D&G, burberry etc.

Some brands i recommend are
Alain Mikli
Orgreen
Mykita
Meyer Eyewear

There are many more but these brands are easier to find.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #96 of 97
Mine cost about £160 GBP, for frames, lenses and the eye test.

I got most of that back through work though, as they are purely for "VDU" use.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #97 of 97
Glasses must be cheaper in Hong Kong because mine (Ti frame, extra thin lens, scratchproof polycarbonate coating, etc...) only cost $125 altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back