How much can you bench?
Jan 26, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #32 of 81
Enough to hold a 140 pounds of chick to a wall for a good long time... and thats all i need
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Vagamus
Enough to hold a 140 pounds of chick to a wall for a good long time... and thats all i need
wink.gif

lol... True true.. Only make that 100 pound for me.

Seriously though, I'm about 6'3" and weigh 220 or so. When I was training I maxed out at 250 and my standard exercise weight was around 200. Now that is dialed back a bit because I've gotten lazy. Maybe 225 max and 170-180 in a ten-rep.

Edit: I think that the question at the beginning was interesting though... What is the average bench-press or squat for that matter for a man between say 18-25? Anyone know?

Jan 26, 2003 at 8:32 AM Post #34 of 81
Got up to a max of 235 @ 6'0" and 165 lbs. Once I did 7 reps of 205, was real proud of that. I've always been real skinny, so I was thrilled to be able to push up the bar with 2 big plates on each side in good form (it's all about looking good, right?)
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I haven't been to the gym in like 5 months. Ugh, I'd probably struggle with 180 right now. In the meantime I've been trying to do push-ups so I don't degenerate into some flesh colored blob.

Mike U.

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Vagamus
wink.gif

Doesn't that have more to do with how much you can do in the snatch???
biggrin.gif

EDIT: For those who don't know, the snatch is also a type of lift.

Jan 26, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #38 of 81
I remember declining to post to this thread when it surfaced a while back. But now I am bored and in football superbowl mode, so here goes:

height: 5' 6"
weight: 190 lbs.
bench: 265 lbs. (max)
squat: 485 lbs. (max)

these numbers were all a result of my being starting fullback on my HS football team. i was the shortest guy on the team, but i had the highest squats and the second highest 'big three' (squat, clean, and bench). defensive ends and linebackers who took me too lightly ended up on their backs. it took time to get the numbers up, though i had naturally large legs (which is probably why i could squat so much). still, it took a good 4 years of consistent lifting to get my bench up from the 145 that it was my freshman year.

now, just another 4 years after my senior year in high school, i am fat and lazy. well, not completely... but i'll bet those max-out numbers are a far cry from what i can do now.

Jan 26, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 81
Interesting thread, worthy of resurrection imho.

I'm curious about all y'allz nutrition. Especially those of you who made big gains in the bench over time. How often did you/do you eat during the day, what kind of portions, how much meat and other sources of protein, etc...

And of course, what kind of routine you had in the gym.

In other words, where did you start at, where did you end up, and what got you there. Some of you have already talked about it...

For me, a skinny guy (currently 155-160lbs, but have been as low as 140lbs), gaining in strength/mass has always been difficult. The most noticeable gains came when I ate like a ****ing pig, or at least supplemented with various powders. Even then, we're talking small potatoes. I've been on a very strict diet, and I don't enjoy what I can eat for the most part, so I don't eat for pleasure anymore. That means I'd eat 2 or 3 times a day if I didn't pay attention to the nutritional aspect. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite cut it.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #41 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Jackangel

I'm curious about all y'allz nutrition. Especially those of you who made big gains in the bench over time. How often did you/do you eat during the day, what kind of portions, how much meat and other sources of protein, etc...

In other words, where did you start at, where did you end up, and what got you there. Some of you have already talked about it...

For me, a skinny guy (currently 155-160lbs, but have been as low as 140lbs), gaining in strength/mass has always been difficult. The most noticeable gains came when I ate like a ****ing pig, or at least supplemented with various powders. Even then, we're talking small potatoes. I've been on a very strict diet, and I don't enjoy what I can eat for the most part, so I don't eat for pleasure anymore. That means I'd eat 2 or 3 times a day if I didn't pay attention to the nutritional aspect. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite cut it.

Dumbbells...use dumbbells to do your bench press workouts. Take them down as far as you can, and really feel the stretch. You will be amazed at how much easier the bar goes up past that hitch point about 3-5" above your chest. Do dumbbell flys too.

I went up like a shot about 4-5 weeks after I started lifting with dumbbells. Happened almost by accident...I decided that I didn't have time to go to the gym any more, and I couldn't use a barbell on the bench that I had. A month later, I'm in the gym and put up over 200# with almost no effort at all. I was thrilled.

Dumbbells....
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Jackangel,

There are many factors besides showing up to the gym that will decide how strong someone is, or how strong he or she can be. Stress, diet, recuperation time, sleep, muscle type and knowledge of lifting are the main criteria someone needs to accomplish their goals in strength training.

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #44 of 81
I'm bored too so what the heck. These total's are from the end of my sophomore year in high school and I haven't lifted seriously in about a year so these have probably come down a little.

Weight: 215 lbs
Bench: 325 lbs
Squat: 500 lbs

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

Cool. I alternate my pec workouts between bench and dumbbells.

WRONG: Do heavy bench press first, (3 to 5 sets of 3 to 8 reps) then chest extentions, or dumbbell flies(6 to 10 reps for 3 to 5 sets) no more than twice a week. Be very careful not to over work your shoulders, and always have a spotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back